REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Apr 12, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #1,366 of 2,117
Isn't it still a bit too early to make these conclusions? I'm just saying...sometimes things don't always turn out as expected (in theory) in practice. There's at least two of us, if not more, here in this forum, that will be able to answer these questions with absolute certainty in less than a month (Westone 3 owners who have already preordered Westone UMX3).

-Ed

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #1,367 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it still a bit too early to make these conclusions? I'm just saying...sometimes things don't always turn out as expected (in theory) in practice. There's at least two of us, if not more, here in this forum, that will be able to answer these questions with absolute certainty in less than a month (Westone 3 owners who have already preordered Westone UMX3).

-Ed

I agree, but I just have a few days to make up my mind.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #1,368 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, but I just have a few days to make up my mind.

But didn't you say you love the W3? Like Edward Ng, I feel the UM3x is still something of a gamble...and if you already enjoy what you have, I'd recommend sticking with it -- at least until some actual UM3x reviews start coming in. If the UM3x still seems more appealing at that point, you can always post your W3 in the For Sale forum; my bet is its resale value will still be strong.

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #1,370 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you were having a great experience with the W3, why change something you know is excellent for something unknown?

Yeah. I really like the W3's. but you know how it is.....the cow is always looking at the other side of the fence....
beyersmile.png

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #1,371 of 2,117
No real desire to swap the W3s for the UM3X here. The more I listen to the W3s, the more I enjoy them. And they are an excellent match with both the T4 and the MBE+, so why worry about something else? After all, the IE8s are supposed to be the better IEM too, but I didn't think so after owning both.

Now, if EVERY W3 owner who loves them gets the UM3X and says they are head and shoulders better, I might, might, consider selling the W3s for the newer Westones. But it has to be a major difference, night and day, etc. Anything less, why bother?

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #1,372 of 2,117
Yes, I would definitely have to see some reviews ahead of time. Other than taming down that mid-bass hump I'm not sure what there is to improve upon with W3. It has virtually no other faults (assuming your past the fit issue).

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #1,374 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, I'm sure I will be reviewing a UM3X at some point.
redface.gif

That makes at least 3, then.

-Ed

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #1,376 of 2,117
Maybe finally figured out the modded tri-flange recipe for me.

Cut off the stem actually farther than flush with bottom large flange. I am only leaving about 1/8" or so of stem left. Then cut off the smallest flange.

No siblance and the crispness seems to be coming through equivalent to what I hear with larger hole opening of the complys. Very nice.....

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #1,377 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe finally figured out the modded tri-flange recipe for me.

Cut off the stem actually farther than flush with bottom large flange. I am only leaving about 1/8" or so of stem left. Then cut off the smallest flange.

No siblance and the crispness seems to be coming through equivalent to what I hear with larger hole opening of the complys. Very nice.....

If I did this and left the smallest flange on, it would be the ideal length for me, but the problem is that I can't get a proper seal when I do this, because the body of the IEMs interfere with the largest flange and somehow break seal, wiping out bass. This does not happen to you?

-Ed

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #1,378 of 2,117
I am tedning to agree with the sentiments of Spyro and Tstarn06 etc, in that why preorder (at least) the UM3x when the W3 is satisfying to a high, high level already? Another factor though in this thinking for me residing in the UK, is that Variphone, Westone's distributor to the European marketplace, is going to charge 355 Euros for the UM3x, minus VAT, shipping and potential Custom's fees! They have a standard VAT charge of 21% (only escapable if you can invoice the charge for the iotem to a business- means the transaction qualifies as an international business transaction- which I cannot do). That would make the new UM3x a whopping 429.55 Euros, minus shipping and possible Customs fees (converts, at current exchange rates, to 386.74 GBP or, rather astonishingly, to 566.86 USD)! Theres no way I'm outlaying that much cash when I'm happy with my W3 and certainly not before I read some reviews and impressions...

EDIT: I know this is no surprise by this point as it's now pretty common knowledge that Variphone inflate the price of Westone products to the European marketplace significantly over the US mrp's, however, was just sharing the info in this specific case whilst also using it as a valid reason and support as to why I'm very unlikely to purchase the UM3x anytime soon.
cool.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #1,379 of 2,117
And who's going to write those reviews and impressions for you to read?
wink.gif

I have to admit that as much as I am enjoying my Westone 3s, I know that better sound is possible, and that's what I'm reaching for. Plus, it's much less expensive here in the US than it is for you in Europe.

-Ed

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #1,380 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And who's going to write those reviews and impressions for you to read?
wink.gif

I have to admit that as much as I am enjoying my Westone 3s, I know that better sound is possible, and that's what I'm reaching for. Plus, it's much less expensive here in the US than it is for you in Europe.

-Ed

Fair game. I'm not judging you, or anyone else who has or will preorder the UM3x! Apologoes if it came across that way. I was more meaning to explain my own thinking and justification for why I won't be preordering/ordering them until after I've read some impressions and/or reviews (that are particulary glowing). Any angst in my previous post may have come from the fact that, ideally, I'd like to order them in and try em as you're doing, such is my intrigue in the IEM marketplace and my interest to try out new, top-end IEM releases, but, money wise, this would be one too many for me to manage atm, particulary at the Variphone controlled price
tongue.gif
I also have anough on my plate, audio gear wise, to work through and come to full grips with, so this has and will come out too soon for me to realistically take on, as it where. No, to anyone whom can afford to outlay for these and/or is in a place to fairly critique them, fair dos. Go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back