REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jan 6, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #886 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just received my second attempt of the UM56s from my audiologist, and although they sounded much, much better than the first version I got, they are already on their way back to Westone... They fixed the problem with the hole angle (which was cutting off the high end on the right one and causing the earphone to pull the UM56 out of my ear), but were supposed to make them a tad snugger fitting and use silicone instead of vinyl. I received them in vinyl again and they fit way too tight. They felt like I was jamming rocks into my ears... My ears are still sore, and that was from trying them an hour ago... Ugh...

So, they sound good enough to get them in silicone, but in a size somewhere between the first and second pair? Did you try some oto-ease to get them lubricated for the ear (or otoferm)?

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #887 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, they sound good enough to get them in silicone, but in a size somewhere between the first and second pair? Did you try some oto-ease to get them lubricated for the ear (or otoferm)?

If they were comfortable, I think they would be great (the ones I had before were truly messed up). They were just too big this time (I didn't try the oto-ease, the pressure was to much with them in place). It's possible that they may have been OK if made out of a softer material, but I think the difference in size needs to be split to be ideal.

I also noticed the holes were substantially larger (on the section inside my ear) on this pair than on the last...

Communication at Westone leaves a lot to be desired... I have received completely conflicting information depending on who I speak to, p0wderh0und23 has been assisting me here, but they apparently ignored what he told me they would do (change them to silicone so there would be a bit of give in case they were too tight...), and when I sent these back to be redone, they sat for two weeks before my audiologist called and was told they would be sent out 2 days later...

So now I am off for try #3... Keeping my fingers crossed...

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #888 of 2,117
Quote:

Has anyone else taken the plunge for Westone UM56 custom tips and tried them with the Westone 3? I'd like to hear your impressions of them vs the stock tips.

I was trying the grey silicone tips for a while, due to being quicker to insert than Complys or UM56 while on vacation, but now that I have gone back to the UM56 the difference in sound is even more remarkable. I can truly imagine how good a custom version of these IEM would sound, and I'm ready to sign up now!

umm, in what way would a custom version be better than the w3 with custom tips? I have an appointment with an audiologist next week to get some UM56 custom tips. i'm hoping they don't screw it up , lol -- i feel like i''m taking a gamble.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #889 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
umm, in what way would a custom version be better than the w3 with custom tips? I have an appointment with an audiologist next week to get some UM56 custom tips. i'm hoping they don't screw it up , lol -- i feel like i''m taking a gamble.

I find my three custom acrylic IEM to be a little easier to insert one-handed, while I need to tug down on my ear with one hand while inserting the Westone 3/UM56 with the other = two hands. Also, even with UM56 the Westone 3's flat back can dig in a little if I sleep with them on my side, while a custom shell IEM wont. Plus, a custom acrylic shell IEM can have the sound tubes tuned a little more specifically for the ear shape it is built for, rather than "one sound tube size fits all".

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #890 of 2,117
Quote:

I find my three custom acrylic IEM to be a little easier to insert one-handed, while I need to tug down on my ear with one hand while inserting the Westone 3/UM56 with the other = two hands. Also, even with UM56 the Westone 3's flat back can dig in a little if I sleep with them on my side, while a custom shell IEM wont. Plus, a custom acrylic shell IEM can have the sound tubes tuned a little more specifically for the ear shape it is built for, rather than "one sound tube size fits all".

I found this:
Please Note: The ES3 features an artificial bump in the midrange frequency response that is of great benefit to vocalists and guitarists who perform onstage. Therefore, the ES3 is not the best choice for listening to recorded music. If this is your goal, you'll be more interested in the ES2..
here:
Westone ES3 Professional Earphones in-ear musicians monitors

So I take it that the ES3 is going to sound different or worse than the Westone 3. Like which one would you be going for? I'm half tempted to just get a custom IEM of some sort, and the sleeping factor is so true. It would be great to have an IEM you can comfortably sleep with. Is like the ES2 comparable to the UM2? or better?

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #892 of 2,117
Quote:

I found this:
Please Note: The ES3 features an artificial bump in the midrange frequency response that is of great benefit to vocalists and guitarists who perform onstage. Therefore, the ES3 is not the best choice for listening to recorded music. If this is your goal, you'll be more interested in the ES2..
here:
Westone ES3 Professional Earphones in-ear musicians monitors

So I take it that the ES3 is going to sound different or worse than the Westone 3. Like which one would you be going for? I'm half tempted to just get a custom IEM of some sort, and the sleeping factor is so true. It would be great to have an IEM you can comfortably sleep with. Is like the ES2 comparable to the UM2? or better?

I'm waiting for a Westone 3 in a custom shell, not an ES3.

The ES2 I am told is much better than UM2, and according to John at Livewires they use the same Knowles drivers as ES2 (but didn't say about the crossover). My Livewires are very close to the Westone 3 in immersion in the music, just missing that last bit of bass oomph and presense of the Westone 3.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #893 of 2,117
Quote:

The ES2 I am told is much better than UM2, and according to John at Livewires they use the same Knowles drivers as ES2 (but didn't say about the crossover). My Livewires are very close to the Westone 3 in immersion in the music, just missing that last bit of bass oomph and presense of the Westone 3.

whooaa you can get the Westone 3 in a custom shell? where at, and how much does that run? that is so awosome, i might just have to return these beatches to earphone solutions and get a pair of them. i have a few hundred to blow
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #894 of 2,117
like i had no idea they even offered the westone 3 in a custom shell. i'm on my first real pair of iems, and i want to hit the nail on the head and not end up with 6 pairs of $400 iems when i can only listen to one at a time anyway. the only thing is, like i heared your ear canal changes with time, so they might not fit within a certain amount of time? like is that true?

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #895 of 2,117
Quote:

I have an appointment with an audiologist next week to get some UM56 custom tips. i'm hoping they don't screw it up , lol -- i feel like i''m taking a gamble.

Same here. Since I'm very happy with the Comply tips I may just wait to see how Sideman7 fares. Sounds like Westone's customer service leaves a bit to be desired.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #897 of 2,117
Quote:

Where does he say that a Custom 3 exists again?

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #898 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does he say that a Custom 3 exists again?

hmm....i suppose that is a good point, lol. i guess he's just wwaaaittting for them.. frack. if they are even coming is another question, lol

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #900 of 2,117
Quote:

somebody slap me, i'm starting to obsess over UE-11's :0

I won't... slap you
confused.gif
.... But I will tell you to stop obsessing (like I'm one to talk
biggrin.gif
). I was seriously thinking about customs after I decided that the Westone 3 wasn't for me. After I came to my senses by not being able to justify them, I discovered another universal and just ordered it.

But from what I've heard about the UE-11, if you can justify the purchase, go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back