REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #871 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats why you use an attenuator cable
wink.gif
that way you can use high gain AND crank it

Any time I've tried those I've found they do more harm to the sound than good.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #872 of 2,117
Q: Is the W3 cable too short running up to the earpieces from the split? - Because Westone intend it to be worn "running behind your head" but everybody wears it in the front because its a) normal and b) natural, but it means the cable split is around your oesophagus area...

Q2: anyone also own a ESW9 too?
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #873 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q: Is the W3 cable too short running up to the earpieces from the split? - Because Westone intend it to be worn "running behind your head" but everybody wears it in the front because its a) normal and b) natural, but it means the cable split is around your oesophagus area...

The cable split ends up just around my collarbone and is very inconspicuous.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #874 of 2,117
Hm, I used to have two pairs of those Shure olive thingies around the house...dunno where they went, so it looks like I'll have to order a pack of 'em.
ph34r.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #878 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w3 users care to discuss the w3 synergy with the various amps?
wondering which mid end amp would fit it considering most of the reviews are done using the high end ones
jecklinsmile.gif

Get yourself a Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang, and don't look back.

Synergy with Westone 3's is "other worldly".

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #879 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own W3's and ESW9's.

Ooh!
biggrin.gif

Comparing my UM2 and ESW9 I just could not go back to the UM2 hence why they have been abandoned since Aug. The warmth... better defined punchier bass... forward inviting mids... better highs and detail... ESW9 are a keeper (I thank God that I held firm and allowed the ESW10 limited ed. to be sold out)

How do you find the W3 vs ESW9? Thanks

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #880 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w3 users care to discuss the w3 synergy with the various amps?
wondering which mid end amp would fit it considering most of the reviews are done using the high end ones
jecklinsmile.gif

I reviewed a $99 Nurfore Icon Mobile and felt it was a good match for the W3. The $99 vividaudiotech V1 is also a decent choice for the W3. The W3 sound as good as the amp you are using, and sound even better with a $220 iBasso D3, or if you move up to a $500 Predator/Pico. But they do reveal any flaws in amp and source or program material if you are looking for them. You can go visit my USB DAC amp review linked to in my public profile.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #881 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any time I've tried those I've found they do more harm to the sound than good.

thats why you make one yourself with high grade components

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #882 of 2,117
I have the Westone 3 now for 3 weeks. There was some problems with eartips. The Complys (Standard Size) fits not so good for me, now with Shure's Olives (big size) i'm happy. I think its important not to go too deep into the earcanal, this make the tone too dark.
Together with my Corda 3move and LOD CryoDock the Details in Music are fantastic good. I hear 90% Classic or Jazz, so in this Music the Westone 3 is for me perfect. Before I had the Super.Fi pro 5, very good too, but the Westone makes it more better. In all points.
dt880smile.png

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #883 of 2,117
Has anyone else taken the plunge for Westone UM56 custom tips and tried them with the Westone 3? I'd like to hear your impressions of them vs the stock tips.

I was trying the grey silicone tips for a while, due to being quicker to insert than Complys or UM56 while on vacation, but now that I have gone back to the UM56 the difference in sound is even more remarkable. I can truly imagine how good a custom version of these IEM would sound, and I'm ready to sign up now!

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #885 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else taken the plunge for Westone UM56 custom tips and tried them with the Westone 3? I'd like to hear your impressions of them vs the stock tips.

I was trying the grey silicone tips for a while, due to being quicker to insert than Complys or UM56 while on vacation, but now that I have gone back to the UM56 the difference in sound is even more remarkable. I can truly imagine how good a custom version of these IEM would sound, and I'm ready to sign up now!

Well, I just received my second attempt of the UM56s from my audiologist, and although they sounded much, much better than the first version I got, they are already on their way back to Westone... They fixed the problem with the hole angle (which was cutting off the high end on the right one and causing the earphone to pull the UM56 out of my ear), but were supposed to make them a tad snugger fitting and use silicone instead of vinyl. I received them in vinyl again and they fit way too tight. They felt like I was jamming rocks into my ears... My ears are still sore, and that was from trying them an hour ago... Ugh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back