REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 5, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #363 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The small complies eliminates the sibilance problem for me..does anyone know of similar sounding longer lasting tips?

X2 on that...I like the sound with the comply and olives...just hate the lifespan!!

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #364 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do let me know how it goes..the sibilance ruin what would be otherwise the perfect experience for me..and do you have a link for the pics of the jays silicons?

Don't worry. I will definitely let you know. It won't be till next week, but as soon as they're in my ears, I'll tell you if there's any improvement.

Jays - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #365 of 2,117
Still waiting for my delivery from Mike at FreqCity. Hoping to have a great surprise when I get home from work. Then I will spend the whole weekend with them. I only have the Olives and the tips supplied with the W3's to work with. I will be interested to hear what others have found to work best for them. I sure hope the highs are not too rolled off using Olives, as I find them to be very comfortable to wear when mated with my Atrios. Adding more music to my X5L-20 now just for the testing. Has anyone who has received their W3's got a specific track/cd they have found to shine? Mostly rock, some blues, but always willing to listen to something new thats been recommended.

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #366 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moseboy,

I learned that everything that you go looking for you end up finding.

That is how the brain works. As an example, if you are decided in paying attention to the bass, you will be able to hear more of it and find its different nuances within that range because you tuned your brain into that task.

If you go thinking of, and looking for sibilance, I bet you will find some.

It's the same as looking for the color green in a crowd. Soon enough you will think there is too much green out there.

That's my experience...

No.... No, I cannot agree. The second I got my SE530 from you after sending my UM2 back to you because of sibilance, the first thing I did was search through my playlist to find a song with lots of "S" sounds and cymbal crashes to see if I could notice any annoying sibilance: Nothing. I was actually able to enjoy the song with my SE530 instead of having to mentally prepare for the next cymbal crash like I did with the UM2. And trust me, I wasn't searching for it when I first got my UM2 either. I don't even think I knew what the term meant at that point. I just remember listening to a song about an hour after I had received them and going, "Hmm... that didn't sound nice.... ow.... oww...."

Again, I will give them a try if I can return them. But like I said, with reports of sibilance coming in this early after the release, I'm just not sure anymore.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #367 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.... No, I cannot agree. The second I got my SE530 from you after sending my UM2 back to you because of sibilance, the first thing I did was search through my playlist to find a song with lots of "S" sounds and cymbal crashes to see if I could notice any annoying sibilance: Nothing. I was actually able to enjoy the song with my SE530 instead of having to mentally prepare for the next cymbal crash like I did with the UM2.Again, I will give them a try if I can return them. But like I said, with reports of sibilance coming in this early after the release, I'm just not sure anymore.

I don't think the E500/SE530 had any sibilance to speak of. At least, I don't remember any with my E500 at all. I may be wrong, but I think Flavio meant, if a few people point out a 'flaw' in an earphone that very few people are familiar with, then it's natural to listen out for it. But no one really mentioned sibilance with the Shures, so there was nothing to listen out for. And if they did mention it, I missed it
smile_phones.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #369 of 2,117
Hmm. Just tried the Westone 3's with the dreaded Shure Black Foam tips. And I'm impressed. Toned down bass, tighter as well. The mids are more forward but laid back. The highs are crisper but still just not there compared to the ER4S. The decay is much more realistic.
And.
And.
And.
The black foams have more detail than all the other tips.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #370 of 2,117
I get equal results with the large grey soft flex tips provided, as I do with Shure Olives. Must just be my ears.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #371 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are some of us who felt the se530 se500 were a bit sibilant. but that is of course up to a person's ears.

Hey Shigz
normal_smile .gif

Yeah, I may have missed that. I only remember reading 'rolled off treble' wherever I looked, and never anything about sibilance. I'm very impatient to know if these JAYS tips will help with the W3.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #373 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey soozie upgraded to TF10's!

I guess you're not the resident Denon c700/c751 fangirl anymore :p

Ha ha!!! I've been using my TF10 almost exclusively since May!!! Keep up with the news
icon10.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #374 of 2,117
are u guys having the sibilance problem listening to Lossy or Lossless source? or both?

Cnet review scared me a bit: "Put simply, this equals fantastic audio reproduction. So good, in fact, we cringed whenever a file of a bit rate lower than 192Kbps came through on our test player (the Sony S-Series Walkman). Frankly, if you have a lossy music collection, there's no point in spending your dough here."

Most of my music collection is above 192kbps.. but still, would like to know how 128-160 kbps sounds..
absolute crap? or listenable?
and yes... is anybody using Westone3's with Sony NWZ-A728/828? how do they buddy up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back