REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Apr 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #1,231 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the clear eartips included with the Westone 3 and Shure clear flex eartips the same?

They appear to be identical to me. I thought the Westones were slightly softer but maybe not.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,232 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the clear eartips included with the Westone 3 and Shure clear flex eartips the same?

No. Different sound tube circumference. I have both here, and it seems to me the Shure clear flex tips are really not made for a thin headphone sound tube, though the look identical to the Westone tips externally.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #1,233 of 2,117
Does anyone have any tips for increasing clear flex tip comfort?
So far I've used a nail file on the sharp edges so that it doesn't hurt my ear canal when pulling it out, as well as using an extension ring on the nozzle allowing deeper insertion.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #1,234 of 2,117
Well, I received my W3 today and they haven't left my ears for 4 hours
biggrin.gif
I must say I was leery of all that I read about them. I have owned shure e530 for 2 years, phonaks breifly, and ie8. I've never really had any fit problems with 99.9% of my iems and the stock silicone fit great. I settled on the short medium comply as the bass on the silicone was almost too much. I'm not much for triple flanges , they really bother me. I guess I am just lucky on fit, or I have really average ears.

Well the folks at westone, really seem to know what they're doing, because I like these a lot. In fact the best iem these ears have heard. They have a very engaging sound that really grabs and surrounds you. I really can't fault any of the sound range, bass is low and beefy , but fast. Mid range is lush and close and personal where I like it, and highs sparkle and extend very nicely.

I don't notice any gaping holes in the sound, everything blends perfectly. I also haven't experienced any sibilance thank God! The sound stage is very nice for BA iem, but everything is presented right there for you. Instrument separation is amazing and so is tonal texture. It's very easy (even more then ie8) to get a bead on single instruments in complex passages. Notes like piano have good sustain and tone, which is amazing for an iem.

This is straight out of the ipod touch 2g.

Cons, I wish I would have found them discounted more (but they're well worth the asking price), and they don't gloss over crappy recordings or low bit rate stuff at all. They turn into a sibilant mess if not sealed good. The cable seems a little thin to me. Can't wait to hear them with a good amp.

Oh there pretty comfy too, as I've had them in almost 5 hours now. I shouldn't complain too much about the price, I paid 499.99 for my first pair of e500's.

Ok switched to med silicone, for better seal
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok back to med comply, just more comfort
smily_headphones1.gif
To me these with the med comply sound very similar to PFE amped with T4
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #1,236 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cable and longevity of the westone phones are really good.

Gosh, as much praise as it gets, I just did not like the Westone cable back when I had my UM2. In my experience, the braided feel on my ears was distracting, the Y-split was way too short, and the piece where it connected to the actual phones was very flimsy. In my eyes, the Sennheiser IE8 cable wins hands down. It's incredibly smooth, soft, flexible, it's just the right length, and it's removable. I haven't heard the Westone 3 so I can't comment on sound, but regardless, in my opinion, the IE8 has the best cable I have ever seen.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #1,237 of 2,117
Cables are nice, but to me, SQ is the end game. I once bought the UM1s, and didn't like their short Y juncture or the over the ear style (braid didn't bother me). But now, I am more than happy with both of those aspects of the Westones considering the sound I receive. Plus, the Westones do have a long-term warranty (though so far, no cable problems at all). Glad to see Ihatepopupads had such great, and quick, success with finding the right tips. So weird, because the medium Complys bring sibilance to my ears, and he doesn't like the tri-flanges (my favorite tips). Yet, judging by his early review, we are hearing exactly the same great sound.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #1,238 of 2,117
Quote:

i would be game if the westone design was less bulbous. the cable and longevity of the westone phones are really good.

Not really bulbous, as they rest perfectly inside the ear. Very comfy in fact. The IE8s were more angular, and never really sat flush in my ears, no matter which tips I used (even the Sony hybrids, which were short single flanges).

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,239 of 2,117
The W3's are a little bigger than my former UM2's. They are OK to sleep with the the UM2's were a little smaller (to my ears) and was easier to sleep on my side with them on. The sound of the W3 however is nicer and more detailed. I am listening to favorite pieces and find the extra detail the UM2's did not provide.
By the way, the cables are great, very soft and very sturdy. With my UM2's never had an issue with them. The W3 cable is maybe a little softer. I like it.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #1,240 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gosh, as much praise as it gets, I just did not like the Westone cable back when I had my UM2. In my experience, the braided feel on my ears was distracting, the Y-split was way too short, and the piece where it connected to the actual phones was very flimsy. In my eyes, the Sennheiser IE8 cable wins hands down. It's incredibly smooth, soft, flexible, it's just the right length, and it's removable. I haven't heard the Westone 3 so I can't comment on sound, but regardless, in my opinion, the IE8 has the best cable I have ever seen.

Yes that cable is tops. I'm sure the westone cable will be alright, just the ie8 cable is really nice and robust feeling.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #1,241 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really bulbous, as they rest perfectly inside the ear. Very comfy in fact. The IE8s were more angular, and never really sat flush in my ears, no matter which tips I used (even the Sony hybrids, which were short single flanges).

True they dissapear, but they do look a little like fat black widows with that red emblem on them
eek.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #1,242 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables are nice, but to me, SQ is the end game. I once bought the UM1s, and didn't like their short Y juncture or the over the ear style (braid didn't bother me). But now, I am more than happy with both of those aspects of the Westones considering the sound I receive. Plus, the Westones do have a long-term warranty (though so far, no cable problems at all). Glad to see Ihatepopupads had such great, and quick, success with finding the right tips. So weird, because the medium Complys bring sibilance to my ears, and he doesn't like the tri-flanges (my favorite tips). Yet, judging by his early review, we are hearing exactly the same great sound.

I think it's dependent on the seal you get. I would probably like the sound of the triple flange if I could stand to wear them. I'm just lucky the med comply seal good for me, if I break the seal a little I hear sibilance.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #1,243 of 2,117
by bulbous i meant the ouside of the phone. personally, i have never liked the look of the westones (any model) and the w3 is by far the strangest design i have seen in an expensive iem. too round. however, knowing the quality that westone offer, im sure i would get by. though, i would probably paint it or add something to the shape so it is not a tick or something in my ear sucking my blood.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #1,244 of 2,117
Quote:

by bulbous i meant the ouside of the phone. personally, i have never liked the look of the westones (any model) and the w3 is by far the strangest design i have seen in an expensive iem. too round. however, knowing the quality that westone offer, im sure i would get by. though, i would probably paint it or add something to the shape so it is not a tick or something in my ear sucking my blood.

Lol Vampire iem.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #1,245 of 2,117
The outside of my IEMs are pretty much like the outside of my car, I don't really care how they look, within reason. I don't like the Ety ER4P look, for example. But otherwise, I never really see them anyway, so bulbous with a red spider is fine with me I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back