REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Mar 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #1,216 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great post Catscratch - Damn, how do you get beyond the (lack of) comfort issue with the clear flex tips?

By suffering in pain until the ears adjust. After about a week of using them straight the ears got used to it and it doesn't bother me quite as much anymore. Also, it helps to angle the eartips outwards slightly so they aren't quite as flush with your ear.

Though it has to be said that I only listen to about 1-2 hours at a time, and long-term comfort isn't as much of a priority.

Customs are still the way to go if you want comfort, unless you can find an IEM that sounds good with foam tips.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #1,217 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Livewires... This was before the Westone 3. The news program I copied into an iPod video was made 9/3/08, but I can't post the 22 mb file because I don't have enough bandwidth for millions of head-fiers to download.

Basically my son was walking the dog, but using an electric mini-moto with the dog tied to the handlebars. And my wife was in the garage pouring dog food from the store bag to a plastic container, so the scent wouldn't attract bears or racoons (mountain area at the edge of Colorado Springs near NORAD). She went into the house for a minute and left the garage open, and then my son rode up with the dog.

At that point a 350lb black bear came running out of the garage and charged him and the dog at the end of the driveway. He dropped the bike and ran, and the bear engaged the dog (Sheltie) and then he comes running into the house as the dog and bear are on their hind legs boxing with each other. He's screaming as he comes in, "it got the dog, it got Snickers!", and my wife runs out to see what the fuss is all about. The bear leaves the dog and comes after her. She stands tall and is yelling at the bear when the kids get me, hysterically screaming "BEAR BEAR BEAR". I grab the first gun I can reach (a .38 with 158gr +p Buffalo Bore ammo) and a broom and run out into the garage, to find my wife doing her best to chase it off.

I start swinging the broom at the bear and yelling at it, so my wife can go rescue the dog tied to the bike. The bear will not leave for some unknown reason, and just paces back and forth looking confused and moaning or grunting. My wife comes up the other side of the driveway with the dog, when the bear charges her and the dog. It makes a curving turn to follow them into the garage and is facing me and my daughter when I snap off one shot with the pistol and hit the ground 3 feet in front of the bear. It halts it's charge, but still hangs out around the garage door. I didn't really want to kill a bear, so I stopped shooting when it stopped charging. As we rush into the house we discover two 100 lb bear cubs ransacking the garage and knocking things off the top shelves along the walls. The mother bear was protecting it's cubs that we hadn't seen before!

Unfortunately, because of the aggressive behavior this time and a week previously with the neighbor across the street, they had to trap the momma and 2 cubs and put them down. The momma bear had been teaching the cubs to go into garages and feed off the garbage cans, instead of staying in the woods to eat berries.

Amazing, I bet that got the adrenaline pumping! Good thing nobody got hurt. I almost stepped on a 9 foot gator by a canal when I was fishing in FL. I was listening to my cd player and not paying attention
biggrin.gif
. Snickers survived, I take it. I have 2 shelties myself, they are feisty little critters, and can hold their own. I had a stray pit bull try to kill my oldest sheltie Zero, he was a bloody mess, but kept the dog from getting a good grip with those lock jaws and drove him out of the yard.

It's not so good when wild animals lose their fear of man. I see many more gators then I used to, they're getting really bold.

I no everyone says ie8 don't isolate that good, but I can't hear squat with these in, with the med single flange silicone. I might listen a little too loud maybe.....

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #1,218 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw as for the bear, not to put to fine a point on it i would have blown its head off, no warning shot crap.

I normally carry and practice with the same 9mm with 147gr JHP for 8 years, but I grabbed the "kitchen" gun which is a .38 that I don't shoot hardly at all (no practice with it). So, I meant to shoot the bear - aiming right at the center chest - but I was just a bad shot and missed by hitting the ground in front of it. The .38 with the 158gr ammo at 1070 fps is right at supersonic at this altitude, and hits like a .357 magnum, but it sounded like a toy pop gun as I was so filled with adrenalin.

Needless to say I have practiced with it and have laser grips on it, so next time a bear charges it wont be so lucky (or maybe she wasn't lucky in the end). Otherwise, we like to watch all the wildlife in our yard, and if we leave them alone they leave us alone. I forgot to mention that my other daughter called 911 when she opened the garage door to the house and one of the 100 lb cubs tried to walk into the kitchen before she slammed the door shut (before we discovered the cubs in the garage behind us).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing, I bet that got the adrenaline pumping! Good thing nobody got hurt. I almost stepped on a 9 foot gator by a canal when I was fishing in FL. I was listening to my cd player and not paying attention
biggrin.gif
. Snickers survived, I take it. I have 2 shelties myself, they are feisty little critters, and can hold their own. I had a stray pit bull try to kill my oldest sheltie Zero, he was a bloody mess, but kept the dog from getting a good grip with those lock jaws and drove him out of the yard.

It's not so good when wild animals lose their fear of man. I see many more gators then I used to, they're getting really bold.

I no everyone says ie8 don't isolate that good, but I can't hear squat with these in, with the med single flange silicone. I might listen a little too loud maybe.....

Back on topic - the IE8 isolate, just not nearly as much as the W3 or custom IEM. Still, do NOT wear the IE8 in the swamp because you wont hear the gator coming for you till it is too late.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,219 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell the wife to tame down! I always thought the best test of love was to lock your wife and your dog in the car trunk for an hour, then when you open the trunk see which one of them missed you more.

: O

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #1,222 of 2,117
Vivaldi's Gloria sounds great, as well as Kiri Tekenawa and Andrea Boccelli. The bass is a little overwhelming (the famous bump) and I reduced the bass in my iPod. A little muddy. Bass resolution and highs are better than the UM2's. Sounds a little dark so far, but I like it. A little sibilance in Boccelli's voice using the triflanges. The Comply tips makes a little sibilant. The medium black olives (Shure) are good too. I need more time to form a clear opinion. I wonder if I would find the IE8 bass a little overwhelming. I have listened for only 1 hour. So far so good.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,223 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vivaldi's Gloria sounds great, as well as Kiri Tekenawa and Andrea Boccelli. The bass is a little overwhelming (the famous bump) and I reduced the bass in my iPod. A little muddy. Bass resolution and highs are better than the UM2's. Sounds a little dark so far, but I like it. A little sibilance in Boccelli's voice using the triflanges. The Comply tips makes a little sibilant. The medium black olives (Shure) are good too. I need more time to form a clear opinion. I wonder if I would find the IE8 bass a little overwhelming. I have listened for only 1 hour. So far so good.

Try the grey silicone tips, pushed only far enough into your ear to grab the ear canal and seal (shallow insertion) - the boomy dark sound will go away.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #1,225 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My W3's enjoying the sun by the pool while at work at home. Life is good
biggrin.gif

We had a snowstorm today. Makes me wanna move there where you are (if I wasn't a Republican).
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #1,226 of 2,117
Okay, second time around with W3. First time around I owned 2 months and mainly used the regular Complys and may have not given the other tips a fair shot for long enough. I thought the complys were the most forgiving but I still sensed an overload of bass and a somewhat recessed treble. These were the main gripes as I felt highs were not outstanding but very adequate. Based upon Catscratch’s success with the clear flex tips I was eager to go back and try these. I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I consider my ears medium size but couldn’t keep a seal with mediums so I am using the smalls and trying to tilt them slightly upwards as well. I was able to maintain that seal for over 40 min while on a stairclimber working out and sweating with little ear discomfort so I may be on to something. There is still plenty of bass but it doesn’t sound overdone which probably keeps the midrange present as well. The overall sound is actually pretty balanced. This is actually kind of odd because these tips are small and don’t really provide the added distance that the W3’s seem to require. Ah….but maybe they actually DO provide the optimum distance? The more I thought about it, since the clear flex tips are firmer the insertion is not that deep so in effect the end of the nozzle versus eardrum is longer than you would expect compared to deeply inserted comply or tri-flange. Plus the opening of the clearflex is wider than other tips to provide cleanest most honest sound to come through (just a speculation)?

In comparing this tip to the modded bi and tri flange options, I find the quality of sound pretty close but I’m thinking the clear flex offers just a pinch cleaner sound but it could be my imagination. With little to no siblance and a pretty balanced sound I am certain I am hitting the sweet spot but it is a narrow window, no doubt. The whole thing goes to hell when the seal goes. I hope I can continue to enjoy this tip option as I cannot recall the last time I could enjoy any IEM without having to resort to a comply, olive or foamie. This would be a pleasant change in my mind. As far as use with a Nano, someone mentioned the Acoustic setting but I did not care for it. The lower register sounded a little too thick and chunky. I am using Jazz setting. I will report back in a few days plus provide comparison to TF10Pro’s I have really taking a liking to.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #1,227 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We had a snowstorm today. Makes me wanna move there where you are (if I wasn't a Republican).
tongue.gif

Ha ha ha. Republicans are ok too, as long as they are headfiers
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back