REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 15, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #766 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply! I am about to call you guys to get this sorted out. The molds by themselves seal quite well (although I can work them out of my ears by wiggling them. However, when I add the earpieces, there is a definite issue with the right one. The hole is at such a poor angle on that one, that the earpiece can't sit flush in my ears, it pulls the mold out of my ear (breaking the seal) and sounds like it may even be blocking the end of the nozzle. Oh, and if the seal on the foam tips is a "10" I would say these are an "8".

Also, why was I told on the phone that there is only one material for these when in fact there are two (and I didn't get what I was told I would)?

Hopefully we can get this straightened out on the phone. Thanks for your assistance.

You've got a PM.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #767 of 2,117
i have a question..
as i said before, my NWZ-A728 sounds warmer than my PC..
PC output is of course more detailed but the higher frequencies are too piercing.. as a result i can't listen at a high volume.. (not talking about too loud here..)
NWZ-A728 is a little less detailed but a very nice source as its high frequencies aren't piercing and i can listen at a little higher volume...
I'm using the built-in card of ASUS Rampage Formula (SupremeFX II).
the question is: anybody experienced something similar? (using amp or PC ?)
and can anyone recommend a sound card that pairs up well with W3's?
again, the only problem with SupremeFX II + W3's combo is the shrill high frequencies at high volume. other than that, the sound is amazing, with very punchy bass and briliant highs (at low volume) + a huge sound stage.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #769 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a question..
as i said before, my NWZ-A728 sounds warmer than my PC..
PC output is of course more detailed but the higher frequencies are too piercing.. as a result i can't listen at a high volume.. (not talking about too loud here..)
NWZ-A728 is a little less detailed but a very nice source as its high frequencies aren't piercing and i can listen at a little higher volume...
I'm using the built-in card of ASUS Rampage Formula (SupremeFX II).
the question is: anybody experienced something similar? (using amp or PC ?)
and can anyone recommend a sound card that pairs up well with W3's?
again, the only problem with SupremeFX II + W3's combo is the shrill high frequencies at high volume. other than that, the sound is amazing, with very punchy bass and briliant highs (at low volume) + a huge sound stage.

You could get am external sound card like any of the USB DAC amps in my big review thread on USB amps (see my sig). If you are on a budget the $99 Nuforce Icon Mobile is a good match for the Westone 3 and many other IEM and portable headphones like Denon C700 or ATH-ESW10. Other wise you could step up to the iBasso D3 if you don't have an iPhone to interfere with it, or Pico/Predator if money is no object.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #770 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could get am external sound card like any of the USB DAC amps in my big review thread on USB amps (see my sig). If you are on a budget the $99 Nuforce Icon Mobile is a good match for the Westone 3 and many other IEM and portable headphones like Denon C700 or ATH-ESW10. Other wise you could step up to the iBasso D3 if you don't have an iPhone to interfere with it, or Pico/Predator if money is no object.

would you say that an external amp is better for music than an internal or external sound card? (if both choices are under $200 budget?)

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #771 of 2,117
Quote:

would you say that an external amp is better for music than an internal or external sound card? (if both choices are under $200 budget?)

I would say yes, since an amplifier is for a specialized purpose, more of your money is going towards improving the headphone output quality, whereas with a sound card you're paying for a sound processor, ADCs, DACs, 7.1+ channel output, line in, mic in, etc. and less of that money is going towards just the headphone jack.

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #772 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say yes, since an amplifier is for a specialized purpose, more of your money is going towards improving the headphone output quality, whereas with a sound card you're paying for a sound processor, ADCs, DACs, 7.1+ channel output, line in, mic in, etc. and less of that money is going towards just the headphone jack.

where can i get the NuForce Icon Mobile Amp? (other than on the official website.. aka. cheaper..) I live in Australia and can't find it on Ebay..

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #773 of 2,117
Quote:

where can i get the NuForce Icon Mobile Amp? (other than on the official website.. aka. cheaper..) I live in Australia and can't find it on Ebay..

Only sold on their store as far as I know.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #774 of 2,117
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict

The W3 don't seem to be particularly picky about what amp you use, other than the better the amp the better the sound. You could look at my USB DAC amp review and see if one fits your budget and is available down under. UPDATED 11/1 MINI-REVIEW of 10 USB DAC amps - Predator, Pico, 2MOVE, D3 Python, D2 Viper/Boa & D1, Lyrix, Micro Amp, Vivid V1 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I am about 80% of the way through my Nuforce review, which isn't posted yet, but I can say it falls in about the middle of the pack, with the D2 Boa and Vivid Audio V1 and Lyrix Pro, but with a lot of features at a good price. Some things the Nuforce does better than those and other things not as good, but in the end it does more things that I like than those others. All of them are low-budget/decent-performance USB DAC amps that mate well with the W3. Out of those amps, if you also have HD600 the V1 is hands down winner. If you also have D2000 the Nuforce is the winner by a hair. While the D2 Boa or Lyrix are a "Jack of all trades, Master of none" and are acceptable with a wider variety of headphones including Grado. The Lyrix DAC is slightly less detailed than the other three though, but the amp section is very good.

The next step up is the iBasso D3 or Practical Devices XM5 or 2MOVE, with Pico and Predator at the top (until I start my XM5 review this weekend).

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #775 of 2,117
After some A/B my IEM rankings are now at:

1. Westone 3 with Ety Foam
2. Sleek Sa6 with Shure Olive
3. Triple Fi 10 with _______
4. LiveWires
5. Etymotic ER4 with Ety Foam
6. Klipsch X10s

In order of my preference.

I prefer the 3's over the TF10s for sure! For my ears, the Westone 3 are far superior than the TF10s. I found the TF10s to bassy (using comply tips). The 3's are a bit more present with higher notes

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #776 of 2,117
anyone who lives in australia. you can get the UM56 from phoenix hearing instruments for cheaper than sending OS. with the exchange at the moment. I went tpday to get my impressions and was expecting them to send them off; but they do them on site and i'll have them on friday
beyersmile.png
so if you live in Bris vegas you are set. no shipping cost or lag while you wait; I cant wait till friday. i'm sure I got a good seal we'll see how they sound. any IEM that has the same or similar enough sized nozzle will fit the UM56. but only is you get the silicone version, nit the acrylic so I will be using them with W3 and SE530. but I tell you what the gap between the W3 and my SE530 widens every day. they are soooo 'dynamic' they just have so much energy esp[ecially with a good source and good rips. so I told them not to make any concessions on the W3 fit just to use with SE530. if it works as well on both, then thats great, but i'm only worried about W3. BTW i'm currently using comply standard long tips. I got a perfect fit with them first time, and ive been using them in the shorter version on my SE530 since I got them; so i know what that feels/sounds like. for those interested I will be posting my impressions on the custom tips once I have used them for a bit. For those that aren't interested...... dont read them
tongue.gif

Oh and you should have seen the looks I got in there when I took out my 'BOMB'
icon10.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #777 of 2,117
I would like to hear from people who have the Sennheiser IE8 and now have acquired the W3, any thoughts regarding these two in comparison?

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #778 of 2,117
from what I hear they sound great (not sure about a direct comparison) but quite a few people re selling them on, because they isolate like crap

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #779 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the 3's over the TF10s for sure! For my ears, the Westone 3 are far superior than the TF10s. I found the TF10s to bassy (using comply tips). The 3's are a bit more present with higher notes

ABSOLUTELY! I though W3 fixed everything I didn't like about TFPro. The hazy veil is gone and the treble sounds true (not so dry and airy).

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #780 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ABSOLUTELY! I though W3 fixed everything I didn't like about TFPro. The hazy veil is gone and the treble sounds true (not so dry and airy).

x2 these things are growing on me more every day. and it seems a few of the skeptics have started to change their tune. I think it takes a bit of living with these to realize exactly how good they are.I mean they sounded great out of the box for me; but over time after my ears/brain has adjusted to the sound, I prefer them in every way to the SE530. still some (about 5%) vocal and live tunes that maybe sound slightly better on the shures IMO. but that may change too. as far as the triples. its been a while since I had them, but from what I remember these W3 do everything they almost did but better and more convincingly. plus they actually look good and are comfortable. today while rockin the W3's, walking through town on my way to get my impressions done, I gave the volume a little nudge past where I had been to try and get through some of the noise. the detail and dynamics on these in the upper mids and lower treble is outstanding. and the bass texture and separation continues to surprise me.(so I kept the volume up there while I was waiting in the waiting room at phoenix) ok thats enough hype from me. but this is truly how I feel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back