REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 13, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #736 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwglue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah didnt work for me

try different browsers ( Firefox, Opera, IE or Safari or maybe Chrome?)

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #737 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, thankx for letting me know about that qusp..
W3's are banned for gym use now..
anything else i should be aware of that shortens the life of IEM's?

If you want them to last a long time, I would use a case to transport them, try to avoid high humidity environments (example: steamed up bathroom after a shower) and just in general be careful with them. The last one is basically a blanket statement to not snag the cable on razor blades or anything obviously dangerous.

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #738 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, thankx for letting me know about that qusp..
W3's are banned for gym use now..
anything else i should be aware of that shortens the life of IEM's?

no problem; just thought i'd mention it. Strange how nobody seams to think of it as a bad idea
confused.gif
pretty obvious to me. as far as other things not to do. dont pull them out of your ears using the cable; but instead pull and twist the IEM, like the reverse of how you put them in. wipe the cord every few days with a warm damp cloth to get rid of the body oils, when they dry you can rub some armorall (tire rubber conditioner) into the cable to keep it supple and protect from bad body oils. even olive oil works nicely in a pinch. I learned this to take care of the cable on my SE530, but should work equally well on the W3. other than that its all pretty common sense stuff. and yeah use the case when you can or if its convenient or buy yourself a pelican case to keep them in. you can get cases that will fit both your DAP and W3 in nicely. but inly the larger pelican micro cases will fit dap->capped dock->amp->iems or dap->LOD->amp->iems. some can be modified to hold it all and allow you to plug the W3 in on the outside
beyersmile.png
a project i'm still toying around with.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #739 of 2,117
The title of this thread is SO annoying... "Ultimate IEM", "losers" (everyone else).

It's always painful to see fanboyism...

Am I the only one with that?

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #741 of 2,117
I've gotta say the Westone 3's have damaged my ears. After switching back and getting used to ER4S I find it hard to concentrate on the hi-hats, tom-toms and crashes. Closed hi-hats suffered the most. I barely hear them at all. All I hear is a high pitched note (like when you get tinnitus). And now bass sounds somewhat overwhelming on my ER4S. Hell. I only listen at normal listening levels. But this case only happens after around 15 minutes of listening continuously. Then I gotta rest. Gah. I'm never ever going to use high sensitivity headphones without a impedance adapter. Never again.

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #742 of 2,117
thankx qusp for all the useful caring tips!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotta say the Westone 3's have damaged my ears. After switching back and getting used to ER4S I find it hard to concentrate on the hi-hats, tom-toms and crashes. Closed hi-hats suffered the most. I barely hear them at all. All I hear is a high pitched note (like when you get tinnitus). And now bass sounds somewhat overwhelming on my ER4S. Hell. I only listen at normal listening levels. But this case only happens after around 15 minutes of listening continuously. Then I gotta rest. Gah. I'm never ever going to use high sensitivity headphones without a impedance adapter. Never again.

can't say that didn't scare me!
anyone else noticed anything like that?
confused.gif

i don't wanna lose my hearing.. i'm only 21!

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #743 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya
thankx qusp for all the useful caring tips!

no problem man
beyersmile.png

nope no problems here, but then I do have an impedance adapter. but then I only use that so I can use the high range on my amp
evil_smiley.gif
, so not really listening any softer. BTW i'm 34 and can still hear the hihats nicely on W3 and on my KRK active monitor speakers. the SE530 no a good job, but everyone knows they arent treble monsters.

I think something else must be at play here; or zeph was listening at much higher volume than he wouldve normally for extended periods.
confused.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #744 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no problem man
beyersmile.png

nope no problems here, but then I do have an impedance adapter. but then I only use that so I can use the high range on my amp
evil_smiley.gif
, so not really listening any softer. BTW i'm 34 and can still hear the hihats nicely on W3 and on my KRK active monitor speakers. the SE530 no a good job, but everyone knows they arent treble monsters.

I think something else must be at play here; or zeph was listening at much higher volume than he wouldve normally for extended periods.
confused.gif

I listen at standard talking level volumes but I do listen to music every second I can, which is basically 6~12 hours a day. Most of the time continuous. Lol. I can't hear closed hi-hats anymore, regardless of how loud it is. Oh well. Life's unfair.

EDIT: Ngeh. I suppose it was because I was trying to pick up detail that wasn't there on the Westone 3's. So now I'm picking up so weird frequencies.

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #745 of 2,117
Quote:

I listen at standard talking level volumes but I do listen to music every second I can, which is basically 6~12 hours a day. Most of the time continuous. Lol. I can't hear closed hi-hats anymore, regardless of how loud it is. Oh well. Life's unfair.

now I know you might not like what i'm about to say here. please forgive me zeph. i'm going to recommend that you dont listen to any music on HP's for a couple of days to let your ears recover. otherwise you may do permanent damage. or maybe you DO have tinitus, or a flu coming on.

I know... I know.....Beelzebub
evil_smiley.gif
but maybe what you should do.

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #746 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now I know you might not like what i'm about to say here. please forgive me zeph. i'm going to recommend that you dont listen to any music on HP's for a couple of days to let your ears recover. otherwise you may do permanent damage. or maybe you DO have tinitus, or a flu coming on.

I know... I know.....Beelzebub
evil_smiley.gif
but maybe what you should do.

Boohoo. My life is bland without music. But it's worth a shot.
beerchug.gif
And I had a flu around two weeks back. Lol. And I do have tinnitus. But it only happens if I'm in a purely silent environment for quite some time. That's why I listen to music most of the time. Lol. Weird, I know.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #747 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are most people using their W3s amped or unamped?

I'm amping them with a Pico via a Zune 80, that said, I thought they still sounded quite good unamped. Considering I stole mine out of the gate for only $259 with the Microsoft cash back and Ebay coupon opportunity I never looked back. I have been listening to them and enjoying them every single day…which in the end is all that really matters.
wink.gif

Cheers,

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #748 of 2,117
Quote:

And I do have tinnitus. But it only happens if I'm in a purely silent environment for quite some time. That's why I listen to music most of the time. Lol. Weird, I know.

Apparently, not so weird
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #750 of 2,117
Quote:

Your first post here. Welcome to Head-fi. Sorry about your wallet. And regarding the article. Woot.
beerchug.gif

yeah, thanks but too late
tongue.gif
well, my wallet was permanently damaged by all the w3 hype... i just could't resist
biggrin.gif
now i'll have to keep a strong diet of bread and water to cover the expenses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back