Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Nov 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #601 of 3,079

Quote:

That sounds like a perfect match for the HD800. And yes, the V200 sounds excellent with them, one of the best I've ever heard. 

X2, i use the v200 with the HD800 when Zana Deux is not in line.  The v200 provides the warmth and power needed to drive the HD800s.  On the other hand if you were to spend well over two thousand on a tube amp and good tubes, you could probably get more clarity and darker background out of the 800s,  just saying.......
wink_face.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #602 of 3,079
Listening to the HD800/V200 combo right now. Smooth as butter yet crisp enough at top still. Not a hint of harshness. Sounds excellent :)

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #604 of 3,079

Quote:
Wow, you use the GCHA instead of the v200 for the HD800?  Many buy the v200 specifically for the HD800s.  I use it often it for them although I have a much higher end tube amp specifically geared to the 800s so given the choice and time for tube warm up and limits to just using the 800 i will use it. 

I guess this reflects me preference for the LCD3/3 over the HD800. The v200 does drive the HD800 very well as others above have pointed out. Its just that I've found that the LCDs really scales much better with the v200.

Just to clarify, the LCD3 and V200 were new additions to my gear and arrived at the same time last week.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #605 of 3,079

Can you tell me how much does the V200 weigh ?

thanx !

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #606 of 3,079

Quote:

Can you tell me how much does the V200 weigh ?

thanx !

2.6 Kg net weight based on their shipping instructions (DHL/Deutsche Post)

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #607 of 3,079
Thanx a lot, metalgear !
I'm considering to buy it and ask a friend to bring me down here. The weight and dimensions are an issue in this case and I couldn't find the weight....

Quote:
2.6 Kg net weight based on their shipping instructions (DHL/Deutsche Post)

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #608 of 3,079
what's the consensus with the DAC add-ons? I'm thinking of getting this amp for my lcd2 and either the toslink or usb option.

Is it worth the extra $180?

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #609 of 3,079

Quote:
what's the consensus with the DAC add-ons? I'm thinking of getting this amp for my lcd2 and either the toslink or usb option.
Is it worth the extra $180?

This question comes up every so often. I don't think there are enough people who have tried it to give a consensus.

Based on the specs and the fact that Violectric knows their stuff, I assume it is pretty good at $180 extra for the 24/96 versions. There isn't a high number of quality DACs at that sub-$200 price anyway. When you consider the space saved by having it built in, and the extra cable taken out of the chain, it seems like a good buy. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #610 of 3,079
12-hour impressions with RCA inputs (W4S DAC-2 > V200 > LCD2 rev2 or RE-262 IEM) .  It's smaller than I imagined.  Will try the XLR inputs tomorrow.  Still a lot to try with the gain switches, for now I haven't moved them up or down.  

I've never been low volume listener but I am now.  Coming from tube amps, I'm digging this black background stuff.  The V200 is making me appreciate the intricacies and slow passages of music.  It is a slightly warm amp but not overly done, a shade or two cooler than say my hybrid tube Lyr amp. 

I'm also appreciating the Lyr more as well.  I've never had anything higher-end to compare the Lyr to until now.  The Lyr definitely punches above its weight class as probably does the V200.  I definitely agree with people who say that if your only headphone is an ortho like the LCD-2 then one can buy a Lyr, throw in some decent tubes, and be happy for a long time.  The Lyr is dynamic and engaging while the V200 is less aggressive and engaging.  I can definitely see a place for the two in my rig.      

Thanks to all of the reviews on this forum (especially WA) and Robert from Aphrodite for excellent service.  I probably won't be upgrading this SS amp for a long time.  That's the same feeling I got with the LCD-2 and DAC-2.  I'm kind of feeling the same way about the Lyr but will be interested to see what the Schiit statement amp can do.  The V200 now has made it all about the music, I can forget about the equipment as I know it's there doing its job at my complete satisfaction.

I could be jumping the gun because it's early in the process so I'll just post some pics and elaborate more later after spending some time with the V200....

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #612 of 3,079
I did write up a short review so I won't say too much to keep the thread on track, http://www.head-fi.org/products/norse-audio-4-wire-norn-series-up-occ-lcd-2-headphone-cable/reviews/5715
But, yes, I prefer it over the stock cable in regards to comfort/aesthetics and an improvement in clarity and transparency.  The stock cable was not terrible though.     

Quote:
Nice, I like the V100 too with the LCD2. Any comments on the Norse cable for the LCD2? Big change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back