Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Nov 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #586 of 3,080

Quote:

Here's one for the rumor mill ~ what have you guys heard about the mysterious Violectric 282 in the works?

More or less a V200 with a single balanced out 4-pin XLR.

A little birdy told me it's not far away but supposedly (read: actually) it's a bit on the hush for the time being...

Fried Reim mentioned to me that they do have plans for a V281, V282, and possibly even V284. The V281 would be a V200 with balanced output. The V282 would be similar but with an even more beefy power supply section. The V284 would be absolutely extreme, a real statement amp. 

He asked me not to give any further details (and really there isn't a whole lot else to say at this point). They have a lot of work to finish for their Lake People lineup, and then presumably they would focus on these. I have no idea when they might be ready to go. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #587 of 3,080

Quote:
Fried Reim mentioned to me that they do have plans for a V281, V282, and possibly even V284. The V281 would be a V200 with balanced output. The V282 would be similar but with an even more beefy power supply section. The V284 would be absolutely extreme, a real statement amp. 

He asked me not to give any further details (and really there isn't a whole lot else to say at this point). They have a lot of work to finish for their Lake People lineup, and then presumably they would focus on these. I have no idea when they might be ready to go. 

From everything he's mentioned online it doesn't look like anytime soon.  Could even be late into next year.

I wonder what the price of the V284 will be?

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #588 of 3,080

Quote:

Thanks project86

Say no more 
smile.gif
 Just wanted a transcontinental opinion ~ many thanks for elaborating.

If the V282 and V284 do come into fruition sooner rather later and the price remains incremental with
their current pricing. Well..looks like we have the following marketing slogan then aimed at other solid
state big players :-

'Violectric ~ Catch Me If You Can'

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #589 of 3,080

Quote:
Hi Gwarmi! That's my impression so far. To be fair, there have been several posters in recent days who feel that the LCD-3 lacks treble energy compared to the LCD-2.2. It's early in the evaluation process, so we don't know if these differences in opinion are related to manufacturing variations, source and amp issues, or just differences of opinion.

I personally find the LCD-3's highs to be smooth, present and detailed. In addition, they are (so far) lacking in the occasionally excessive treble that one might experience with a T1 (and would definitely, IMO, experience with an HD800). I am quite impressed.

One of the best improvements of the LCD-3s over both the LCD-2 R1 and R2....throw in HE6-like sound staging and I can't really find any "issues" with them.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #590 of 3,080

Quote:
metalgear, how goes the ps audio gcha do with the lcd2&3? and how is it in comparison to the v200?

I was fine with the LCD2 and GCHA originally, but the LCD3 felt like it needed a bit more boost (although the LCD3 claims to be more effiicient) and the V200 delivered. It was louder, more controlled and dynamic across the range. It also had a darker, more silent backdrop than the GCHA, so i guess you could call it more exciting as it allowed the music to suddenly 'attack' with sudden force, and to 'decay' in a more 'strong-but-delicate' manner.

I still hold the GCHA in high esteem, it will continue to be the workhorse on my other dynamic cans, namely the D7000 and HD800 and some IEMs; its a modern classic in the making.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #591 of 3,080
Wow, you use the GCHA instead of the v200 for the HD800?  Many buy the v200 specifically for the HD800s.  I use it often it for them although I have a much higher end tube amp specifically geared to the 800s so given the choice and time for tube warm up and limits to just using the 800 i will use it. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #592 of 3,080
I am considering the v200 to power my lcd2.1's.  Would you consider this amp's presentation to be forward or recessed?
Also, does any one in the US offer a 30 day trial on the v200?

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #594 of 3,080

Quote:
Wow, you use the GCHA instead of the v200 for the HD800?  Many buy the v200 specifically for the HD800s.  I use it often it for them although I have a much higher end tube amp specifically geared to the 800s so given the choice and time for tube warm up and limits to just using the 800 i will use it. 

I did not know that about the V200 and the HD 800.  I am interested in the HD 800 for its so called "exaggerated" soundstage.    I'm looking for another set of cans to compliment my LCD-2 R.2's  that present a different sound altogether for the detail and soundstage freak in me and I'm wondering if the HD 800's are the cans for that job, so I'm glad to hear the V200 can do the job with them.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #595 of 3,080
I copied this from Headfonia.com V100 review:

Apparently, the V100 not only is an impressive match with the LCD-2 but also with the Sennheiser HD800. I haven’t tested this myself but I did find the following posted in a forum by Mr. Reid, CEO of Violectric, himself:

“Axel Grell is the developer of HD800. Sennheiser has got a so called “Hall of Fame” with some headphone amps inside. Since spring 2009 one of Mr. Grells favorites is HPA V100.
He personally handed over one of three HD800 (a laboratory sample) during 2009 Hi-End exhibition in Munich to be used on Lake People booth.”

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #596 of 3,080

Quote:
I did not know that about the V200 and the HD 800.  I am interested in the HD 800 for its so called "exaggerated" soundstage.    I'm looking for another set of cans to compliment my LCD-2 R.2's  that present a different sound altogether for the detail and soundstage freak in me and I'm wondering if the HD 800's are the cans for that job, so I'm glad to hear the V200 can do the job with them.

That sounds like a perfect match for the HD800. And yes, the V200 sounds excellent with them, one of the best I've ever heard. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #597 of 3,080

Quote:

That sounds like a perfect match for the HD800. And yes, the V200 sounds excellent with them, one of the best I've ever heard. 

Nice!  

Maybe I'll forgot about a complimentary tube amp to go with the V200 and wrestle away an HD 800 from someone who is selling off their collection of various cans to satisfy the LCD-3 lust.    I love my LCD-2 r.2's but recently I've been using my daughters Audio Technica ATH AD700's to watch hi def TV files while the family is sleeping and I have found that there are times when the ATH AD700's through a larger more exciting soundstage than the LCD-2's.   So I'm realizing exaggerated or not I might like a can from time to time that can do that. 

I'm just wondering now if the rumors to an HD 700 have any concrete basis and I should hold off...

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #598 of 3,080

Quote:
Nice!  

Maybe I'll forgot about a complimentary tube amp to go with the V200 and wrestle away an HD 800 from someone who is selling off their collection of various cans to satisfy the LCD-3 lust.    I love my LCD-2 r.2's but recently I've been using my daughters Audio Technica ATH AD700's to watch hi def TV files while the family is sleeping and I have found that there are times when the ATH AD700's through a larger more exciting soundstage than the LCD-2's.   So I'm realizing exaggerated or not I might like a can from time to time that can do that. 

I'm just wondering now if the rumors to an HD 700 have any concrete basis and I should hold off...

HD 700? I hadn't heard about that. Seems like a logical thing to make though (which is usually what causes rumors in the first place). 

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #600 of 3,080

Quote:
changing pre-gain levels v200 changes the sound curve for me.... maxing out volume (minimizing pre-gain) suits me best. at my preferred listening level.

I have to say that I've noticed the same thing... minimizing the pre-gain (-12 switch) seems to give me the best sound with both my LCD-2's and the HD800's. Not sure whether it's my ears playing tricks on me though (likely is. Technically speaking it's not supposed to have any effect on sound curve IIRC). To me the other settings of pre-gain seems to give it a more mid-centric sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back