Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Nov 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #571 of 3,080

Quote:

Its not too much a change. Its just a tad more delicate in texture with minimal pre-gain. The overall presentation/balance doesn't change.

Increasing pre-gain makes Starker's cello strings seem a bit more dense - if you get my drift.

Its not big enough for me to get distratcted, but its there.

The v200 is impressive nonetheless, its capable of driving both the LCD2 and LCD3 at the same time without compromise. Makes A/B testing a lot more fun :)

I'v'e never had to increase the pre-gain on my V200 SE or Balanced out of the W4S DAC-2.  I have been experimenting lowering the pre gain.     Nice to hear the V200 can drive the LCD-3's...

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #572 of 3,080

Quote:

since you asked nicely...

metalgear, how goes the ps audio gcha do with the lcd2&3? and how is it in comparison to the v200?

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #573 of 3,080

Quote:
Nice to hear the V200 can drive the LCD-3's...

It has no problem driving the 3s. From a synergy standpoint, however, I may prefer the warmth of my WA2.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a WA22 in my future...

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #574 of 3,080

Quote:
It has no problem driving the 3s. From a synergy standpoint, however, I may prefer the warmth of my WA2.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a WA22 in my future...

Love the combination of my WA22 (7236 Sylvania, Shuguang Treasures CV181-Z and Princess Sophia 274B) and my LCD-3s. A hint of tubey goodness compared to my more ss'ish Lyr.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #575 of 3,080

Quote:
Love the combination of my WA22 (7236 Sylvania, Shuguang Treasures CV181-Z and Princess Sophia 274B) and my LCD-3s. A hint of tubey goodness compared to my more ss'ish Lyr.

I thought you might be enjoying that combination...
wink_face.gif

I'm torn between keeping it in the family with a WA22 or going rogue with a Liquid Fire. If I went LF, I'd sell both my WA2 and V200... hurts just to think about it.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #576 of 3,080

Quote:
I thought you might be enjoying that combination...
wink_face.gif

I'm torn between keeping it in the family with a WA22 or going rogue with a Liquid Fire. If I went LF, I'd sell both my WA2 and V200... hurts just to think about it.

Tough call...the LF would be better at powering your HE-6s, but I'd think the WA22 was better suited for your T1s. How about both?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #578 of 3,080

Quote:
Tough call...the LF would be better at powering your HE-6s, but I'd think the WA22 was better suited for your T1s. How about both?
evil_smiley.gif

Truth be told, Peter, I'm thinking about going all in with the LCD-3 and dealing the rest of my cans. While I'm not 100% on this, my next amp choice will be fully dependent upon what is best suited for the LCD-3.

To stay on topic, I might decide that the V200 is amp enough. It's fantastic with the LCD-3, if lacking just a shade of warmth.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #580 of 3,080

Quote:
Truth be told, Peter, I'm thinking about going all in with the LCD-3 and dealing the rest of my cans. While I'm not 100% on this, my next amp choice will be fully dependent upon what is best suited for the LCD-3.

To stay on topic, I might decide that the V200 is amp enough. It's fantastic with the LCD-3, if lacking just a shade of warmth.

Good to hear you might stay with the V200!  Never heard anyone say it wasn't warm enough though.  

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #581 of 3,080

Quote:

Good to hear you might stay with the V200!  Never heard anyone say it wasn't warm enough though.  

I was certainly surprised that I had typed it... I suspect it's a reaction to how different the LCD-3s sound from the LCD2.2s. Might just be a passing phase.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #582 of 3,080

Quote:
I was certainly surprised that I had typed it... I suspect it's a reaction to how different the LCD-3s sound from the LCD2.2s. Might just be a passing phase.

Thanks Olias,

Your comment regarding the LCD-3 lacking a bit of warmth with the V200 has given a bright treblehead like me a bit more confidence that this phone
could be the flagship I've been holding out on all this time - sounds perfect so far.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #583 of 3,080

Quote:
Thanks Olias,

Your comment regarding the LCD-3 lacking a bit of warmth with the V200 has given a bright treblehead like me a bit more confidence that this phone
could be the flagship I've been holding out on all this time - sounds perfect so far.

Hi Gwarmi! That's my impression so far. To be fair, there have been several posters in recent days who feel that the LCD-3 lacks treble energy compared to the LCD-2.2. It's early in the evaluation process, so we don't know if these differences in opinion are related to manufacturing variations, source and amp issues, or just differences of opinion.

I personally find the LCD-3's highs to be smooth, present and detailed. In addition, they are (so far) lacking in the occasionally excessive treble that one might experience with a T1 (and would definitely, IMO, experience with an HD800). I am quite impressed.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #584 of 3,080

Quote:
Hi Gwarmi! That's my impression so far. To be fair, there have been several posters in recent days who feel that the LCD-3 lacks treble energy compared to the LCD-2.2. It's early in the evaluation process, so we don't know if these differences in opinion are related to manufacturing variations, source and amp issues, or just differences of opinion.

I personally find the LCD-3's highs to be smooth, present and detailed. In addition, they are (so far) lacking in the occasionally excessive treble that one might experience with a T1 (and would definitely, IMO, experience with an HD800). I am quite impressed.

That's what I hear ~ deliciously smooth and buttery up top ~ Purrin's technical measurements appear to show some early proofs in that sense compared
 with the Rev2's. Need to spend a bit more time beyond the 20 hours or so I've racked up with the HD800 ~ that's not out of the running yet, admittedly
 I've only fed that thing the very best recordings I can muster up when down at my local audio store. Time to crank some rockabilly and I'll no doubt be
 sorry for it!

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #585 of 3,080

Here's one for the rumor mill ~ what have you guys heard about the mysterious Violectric 282 in the works?

More or less a V200 with a single balanced out 4-pin XLR.

A little birdy told me it's not far away but supposedly (read: actually) it's a bit on the hush for the time being...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back