Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Dec 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #632 of 3,080
So you feel that the V200 is too warm as a SS amp for a warm headphone like the LCD-2 whereas the Lyr is also warm but it's tube warmth with associated power/dynamics.  I guess I'm not feeling the V200 isn't transparent enough but I also have read good things about the LCD-2 and B22 amps.  I should note that I'm using the LCD-2 rev2.  It's all good, we have our preferences.

Quote:
Yes it was.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #638 of 3,080
Personally, I never found the V200 to be too smooth or too warm with the LCD-2.2. I do find it a bit too relaxed with the LCD-3.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #641 of 3,080
I have had the V200 and the LCD-2 (rev. 1 and 2) since March and I must say that regardless (so far) what head-fi combo I listen to; I always revert back to the LCD-2 + V200 combo. DACs have been various (Hegel HD10, Rega DAC, Abrahamsen V6.0 and Yulong D100).

Maybe the DAC used by BoggieWoogie is "to dark"? Or, simply that it isn't (i.e. BW's opinion is totally OK). We all prefer different things. :)

I have no problem understanding that the V200 + LCD-2 isn't sounding SPECTACULAR the first hour of listening, but over time - it is such an effortless presentation of the music. I don't like when things are SPECTACULAR. It get's tiredsome quite quick and my ears starts to get num.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #642 of 3,080
Good post. I agree on all counts. But there's nothing wrong with BoogieWoogie's opinion - we are all entitled to them. Most of us tend to generally agree much of the time, but I also think everyone has at least 1 headphone or headphone/amp combo that they don't like.... even if it is a well regarded headphone or combo.

Mine is the Audio Technica W5000. It is a beautiful headphone, well regarded by many. But I just couldn't enjoy it. I tried a bunch of sources and amps, both tube and solid state, but just didn't like what I heard. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #643 of 3,080
Agree. And, quite important; some of us tend to change preferences over time. When I started with head-fi (and speakers long ago), I was fascinated to hear every "ping-plong-pop" and the equipment was tuned brighter and brighter - SPECTACULAR. After I while I got bored. The same with head-fi. Started with e.g. K701 -> HD800 -> LCD-2/HE-500. I praised every one at that time, because I truly loved them. But went the same route in head-fi as within speakers: Less "pling-plong-pop" and more m-u-s-i-c. :) 

The V200 is indeed a keeper. It ain't that pretty on the outside, though. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #645 of 3,080

Quote:
Personally, I never found the V200 to be too smooth or too warm with the LCD-2.2. I do find it a bit too relaxed with the LCD-3.

Funny, I loved the Lyr/LCD-2 combination (and a bit more than my WA22), but with the LCD-3s I prefer my WA22 by a reasonable margin (specific tube set). I guess the amping synergies with the LCD-2 vs. LCD-3 aren't 100% transferable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back