Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Dec 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #646 of 3,080

Quote:
Funny, I loved the Lyr/LCD-2 combination (and a bit more than my WA22), but with the LCD-3s I prefer my WA22 by a reasonable margin (specific tube set). I guess the amping synergies with the LCD-2 vs. LCD-3 aren't 100% transferable?

The LCD-3 is harder to drive than the LDC-2 and I don't mean just an increase in volume control.  

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #647 of 3,080

Quote:
The LCD-3 is harder to drive than the LDC-2 and I don't mean just an increase in volume control.  

I wouldn't necessarily say harder...but they are different beasts that's for sure.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #648 of 3,080

Quote:
Funny, I loved the Lyr/LCD-2 combination (and a bit more than my WA22), but with the LCD-3s I prefer my WA22 by a reasonable margin (specific tube set). I guess the amping synergies with the LCD-2 vs. LCD-3 aren't 100% transferable?

I'd agree that amping synergies are similar, but not identical. The LCD-3s are smoother from top to bottom and generally more relaxed, IMO -- characteristics that are emphasized with the V200 but somewhat balanced out by, say, a Lyr w/6BZ7s.  The LCD-2.2s, on the other hand, I found to be more in-your-face and somewhat peaky (with emphasis in the upper bass and treble). The V200 mellowed out those peaks, while the Lyr (again, depending on tubes) could make them downright brash.

These differences are all relative, of course... I haven't found a single amp that could make an Audez'e can sound like something other than an Audez'e can.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #650 of 3,080
Not to derail but one day I'll own a LCD2. I heard the LCD3 and thought that it wasn't all that different from the two. I mean it's improved but not a extra $1,000 improved, if you know what I mean. Not bashing it as it sound amazing but I like the signature of the LCD 2 better.

As for the V200 I got to hear another one (borrowed) and it sounds as good as I remember. I think the unit I got had a defect in it as I did not notice the clipping on the other unit I listened to.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #651 of 3,080

Quote:
Not to derail but one day I'll own a LCD2. I heard the LCD3 and thought that it wasn't all that different from the two. I mean it's improved but not a extra $1,000 improved, if you know what I mean. Not bashing it as it sound amazing but I like the signature of the LCD 2 better.

As for the V200 I got to hear another one (borrowed) and it sounds as good as I remember. I think the unit I got had a defect in it as I did not notice the clipping on the other unit I listened to.

Then again, the T1s aren't $1000 improvements on the DT880s either.
tongue.gif
Rarely is anything in this price range. But yes, both the T1s and LCD-3s are appreciably better than the DT880s and LCD-2s respectively.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #652 of 3,080

Quote:
Olias of Sunhillow, I think I know what you will be dreaming of tonight!  If you sleep at all...

Funny you should mention it... I got an email from the receptionist at work today saying that there was a package for me. I sprinted down the stairs to the front desk, elated that the FedEx gods had delivered my Liquid Fire a day early.

But it wasn't meant to be. The package was an Apple wireless router. I'd forgotten about ordering it.

One more day.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #653 of 3,080

Quote:
Funny you should mention it... I got an email from the receptionist at work today saying that there was a package for me. I sprinted down the stairs to the front desk, elated that the FedEx gods had delivered my Liquid Fire a day early.

But it wasn't meant to be. The package was an Apple wireless router. I'd forgotten about ordering it.

One more day.

Oh no you probably haven't heard then!  FedEx employees just walked off the job and went on strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back