REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Jul 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #811 of 1,290
Quote:
I wasn't even aware that there is a big and small drawer. Is the small drawer supposed to be for the cable then? 

I think the small drawer could be used for a cable but is probably intended for a desiccant packet. UM themselves don't recommend swapping the cable too much cuz it can wear out the pins and sockets therefore I'm reluctant to stick the cable in there every time I put them away. My CIEMs arrived jammed into the larger drawer with the cable attached but it takes a good couple of minutes of fiddling to get them back in there.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #812 of 1,290
Quote:
I think the small drawer could be used for a cable but is probably intended for a desiccant packet. UM themselves don't recommend swapping the cable too much cuz it can wear out the pins and sockets therefore I'm reluctant to stick the cable in there every time I put them away. My CIEMs arrived jammed into the larger drawer with the cable attached but it takes a good couple of minutes of fiddling to get them back in there.

I guess it's still more useful than the big red box mine came with. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #813 of 1,290
Yea, I think UM should have made it just one big tray inside the box instead of having two of them. 

I just got my Miracles back today and it was crammed into that bigger pocket.  With it's current design, I honestly don't feel that the case is useful for the cables or the iems. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #814 of 1,290
Quote:

I guess it's still more useful than the big red box mine came with. 

Quote:
Yea, I think UM should have made it just one big tray inside the box instead of having two of them. 

I just got my Miracles back today and it was crammed into that bigger pocket.  I honestly don't feel that the case is useful for the cables or the iems. 

Yeh I don't get why, if you have the opportunity to make new packaging from scratch, you'd make the drawer too small lol. The best part of the new packaging is the glass cube and it serves no purpose whatsoever. When you open it up at least now you feel like you've bought a premium product though. That red box had to die.

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #815 of 1,290
Quote:

Great pictures! 

Does the TWag fit in the case too along with the customs? I'm trying to get an idea of how big the case is.

Nope... Not even close. I could hardly fit the CIEMs with the original cable on in the big drawer...

I use a hardcase from an old pair of glasses for the Merlins + cable. It's stuffed full with silicia-packets and some adapters/cables. Woeks great.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #816 of 1,290
I’m using a compact camera case to store the Merlin. It’s about the same size with hard outer case and there is much more room to fit the merlin than the stock UM case. It was £5 from my local camera shop.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #817 of 1,290
Believe it or not I am still using those Red boxes......I found by pushing down on the compartment wall it flattens creating one big storage area and hence suitable space for the custom with the cable.

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #818 of 1,290
Quote:
Believe it or not I am still using those Red boxes......I found by pushing down on the compartment wall it flattens creating one big storage area and hence suitable space for the custom with the cable.

Yeh the red box is cavernous. Plenty of room in there if not too much. There has to be a compromise between too small and too big. Their little clamshell case was on the small side as well. That's three cases that aren't much good for portable use. At least the red box fits them in though.

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #819 of 1,290
 Well I received 2 of those big red cases so had to make them useful i suppose. But right not portable, only for storage.
 Best case for carrying around with you I have found would be Pelican 1010 case, crush & waterproof, fits in your cargo side pockets.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #820 of 1,290
Yeh I've got the similar pelican 1015 which is good too. Both the merlins and miracles can go in there pretty easily. I demoted my 535s to one of those airtight food containers you get from woolies(sistema brand 200ml?). It works almost as well as a pelican and they are three for $6.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #821 of 1,290
Quote:

You actually carry the red case around?

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #822 of 1,290
My red box broke the first time I opened it, so I used a Peli 1020 for my Merlins. I carry my DX100 in a LowePro Tahoe 30, but I'm looking for a soft case that'll hold the DX100 as well as my customs.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #823 of 1,290
No Poetic LOL ...As I mentioned only for storage, both sit on desktop. Those Red Boxes are Hardly portable, I think you would need to walk around with a briefcase to put them into.........for portable use.....

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #824 of 1,290
Quote:
No Poetic LOL ...As I mentioned only for storage, both sit on desktop. Those Red Boxes are Hardly portable, I think you would need to walk around with a briefcase to put them into.........for portable use.....

Oh, haha I had an image of you trying to lug it around with you.  It definitely isn't the most mobile of cases.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #825 of 1,290
Here is a quick pic of how i am storing both IEM's In the BIG RED boxes with the middle flap pushed all the way down allowing ample room for both Custom and cable........Black Miracle....White Merlin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back