REVIEW: Sennheiser HD 800
Jul 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #451 of 632
Ask It: Sennheiser HD 800 Controversy | AVguide

Quote:

I’m more in the camp that likes, but doesn’t love, the HD 800. I believe that has little to do with flaws in the HD 800, and much to do with what I want a headphone to do. I want a headphone to provide an alternative listening experience. I want to hear things on recordings that I don’t hear as well via speakers. This partially comes from my sense that headphones just can’t do the virtual reality thing that traditional speaker-based audio can. At the same time, I need a certain vividness in my headphone listening that makes up for the things headphones inevitably take away.

From some perspectives this vividness is called coloration. Maybe. But the declaration of coloration refers to reasonable though arbitrary notions of “correct”. All I know is this: live music is vivid. The HD 800s, at least with the amps I used (primarily the Luxman P200 and PS Audio GCHA), are not vivid, which is what keeps me on the “like” side of the line. Even so, the HD 800s are so good that I prefer them to 90% of the headphones I’ve heard."

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #452 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

I’m more in the camp that likes, but doesn’t love, the HD 800. I believe that has little to do with flaws in the HD 800, and much to do with what I want a headphone to do. I want a headphone to provide an alternative listening experience. I want to hear things on recordings that I don’t hear as well via speakers. This partially comes from my sense that headphones just can’t do the virtual reality thing that traditional speaker-based audio can. At the same time, I need a certain vividness in my headphone listening that makes up for the things headphones inevitably take away.

From some perspectives this vividness is called coloration. Maybe. But the declaration of coloration refers to reasonable though arbitrary notions of “correct”. All I know is this: live music is vivid. The HD 800s, at least with the amps I used (primarily the Luxman P200 and PS Audio GCHA), are not vivid, which is what keeps me on the “like” side of the line. Even so, the HD 800s are so good that I prefer them to 90% of the headphones I’ve heard."

If the HD 800 is just as «vivid» as the K 701, which is often ill famed for its lack of vividness/coloration, it's alright for me.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #454 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the HD 800 is just as «vivid» as the K 701, which is often ill famed for its lack of vividness/coloration, it's alright for me.

I think with the right amp and source material, the HD800's can be vivid (translated = exciting, involving). A lot of the "vividness" resides in dynamic range, and the HD800's (as do the K701's although to a lesser degree perhaps) excel in this respect. They are capable of incredible dynamic range, assuming it's there in the recording. If there's too much compression -- then no dynamics, and the HD800's won't sound vivid no matter how much you crank them up. There are some phones that can make almost any recording sound vivid - to me that's not real.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #455 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ I would say that's a fair enough statement. After I had a chance to demo a pair, I came to the conclusion if you like the K701, then you'll love the HD800.

I totally agree with you Morph201. A friend of mine loves the K701 and listens to it exclusively. He just heard the HD800s and he feels that it is everything he would like the K701 to be and more. He actually heard some other cans like the K1000s, R10s, GS1000 and he called the HD800s the best can he has ever heard. That is his opinion and this is coming from a K701 fanboy so I think the HD800 should appeal to fans of the K701.

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #456 of 632
Hey, Feifan,

Sorry about the belated response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Soundinista. In #261, you're simply quoting the excerpts I pulled from Uncle Erik's review. And as I said earlier, I don't see any attacks or caricatures in his review.

The quote that you've included from my #337 is taken out of context. It was a reply to a question posted by Beagle: "Question for the HD800 listeners/owners, do you still get the bass at low volume levels." My full answer was: "Beagle, yes, definitely. Deep, punchy, defined, accurate -- but not in your face or up front unless the arrangement calls for the emphasis. Uncle Erik explains this beautifully in his post. We have 'The Great HD800 Divide' because some (majority?) prefer their bass consistently up front and others (minority?) prefer a wider dynamic range with bass moving back and forth, soft and loud, without losing its integrity."

Again, I see no attacks or caricatures. We're simply underscoring the fact that there seems to be two different populations: Those who prefer a stronger bass sound and those who prefer a relative bass sound. The point is that this goes a long way toward explaining, at least to some people, the difference between those who do and those who don't find fault with the HD800.

Yes, your application of the strawman is accurate, but I'm afraid it doesn't fit Uncle Erik (or me). I don't see him putting an unfair spin on oppositional views or opponents in order to leave them more open for attack. There's not a shred of evidence of this. He's clearly trying to present a plausible explanation for the strong differences in opinion re the HD800. That's it.

And when I quote him, this is the point that I'm referring to.

Personally, I like a strong bass for rock. And this is one of the reasons for keeping the HD650 and especially the GS1K, which has a warm, deep, punchy, musical bass. But I also like "relative" (for want of a better term) 'phones that are neutral, accurate, revealing for a wide range of music that emphasizes the artistry of voices and instruments. For this, I have the K701 and HD800.

I think this is a case of miscommunication, and I'm glad we're clearing it up.

beerchug.gif

Just a couple of quick points on the highlighted remarks above:

1. No, I don't think you were unfairly edited in my posts. We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

2. Yes, there may have been miscommunication, but maybe not exactly as you see it. For me, neutrality does involve flat-sounding bass output at 30Hz. So, I totally agree with you in your preference for "relative" bass (as described above). As far as bass, that is all I care about. And there are phones that give you that. The DX1000 and the D7000 are two of those phones. But there was this suggestion -- both in Skylab's review and in a remark made by IPodPJ somewhere in this thread -- that the HD800 doesn't quite reach that deeply, not flatly anyway. That's my basis for suspecting that you're using the term "neutral" with a different meaning than it has for me. Again, I do understand how deep-bass-challenged phones may properly be called "neutral" for the part of the spectrum that they cover. But I tend to think of neutrality as top-to-bottom neutrality. IME, the term "top-to-bottom neutrality" perfectly describes the D7000. (The DX1000 is the prettiest version of neutrality that I've known and my #1 fave, but not exactly a case of lab-grade neutrality.
biggrin.gif
) It's an essential part of what I expect from state-of-the-art headphones.

Thanks for the discussion!

beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #458 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Feifan, Sorry about the belated response.

Hey, Soundinista. No problem. Yes, when I use the term "neutral," I mean flat throughout the FR spectrum, even when that flat has to be attained with a dip at the 3kHz frequency and adjustments in the ultra high harmonic frequencies. I love a deep, punchy, quick, and accurate bass, but only in proportion to the intended arrangement.

Furthermore, for me, "musical" isn't an artificial or mechanical quantity that can be added like salt and pepper as an afterthought in the engineering phase. Rather, it's a flavor that's built into the recording by the musicians, singers, and arrangers -- a natural part of the performance. Thus, I'm looking for equipment that will reveal musicality when it's actually present -- not invent it when it's not.

For me, the HD800 gives me what I'm looking for.

However, I understand that others have different preferences, and that's totally OK with me.

BTW, congrats on your decision to go with the GS1Ki! I'd never give up my GS1K. It has a sound that's addicting, that you can't get anywhere else.
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #459 of 632
Quote:

BTW, congrats on your decision to go with the GS1Ki! I'd never give up my GS1K. It has a sound that's addicting, that you can't get anywhere else.
beerchug.gif

Agreed! The GS-1000 isn't technically trying to beat anything. You just can't get that addicting sound from anything else.

I guess we have the best of both worlds, technically right phones that dig out the music in an accurate way, and a colored headphone that conveys the emotions and excitement of the music in a different way. I guess we are fortunate
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #460 of 632
Quote:

beerchug.gif

The GS1000i I've just bought?!... Buddy, that's a secret!!!
eek.gif
tongue.gif
Just because it'll be quite a while before I can responsibly talk about these bad boys. (First, I mean, firstest impression: very good, and getting better; much less colored than I expected!) So, I'll have to deny that I have'em, Feifan!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #461 of 632
Quote:

eek.gif
tongue.gif
Just because it'll be quite a while before I can responsibly talk about these bad boys. (First, I mean, firstest impression: very good, and getting better; much less colored than I expected!) So, I'll have to deny that I have'em, Feifan!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Oooops!... Poor choice of words above. I didn't mean to imply that those who post about their first impressions do so irresponsibly. I meant to say that I don't expect to have a stable opinion on my new toy for some time. I do have impressions, of course, but they don't amount to an opinion yet. Maybe my meaning was clear; maybe it wasn't. Nothing against the posting of first impressions, not at all. They can be very useful.

beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #462 of 632
Hey.

For me HD800 sounds like what I wanted to hear from GS1000.
I've done many experiments with millions of systems for GS1000 but they never sound this way...just like HD800 sounds.

Moreover, I like very much K701 and HD800 is a big step forward in my opinion.

And...If you're a serious audiophile and you want to hear from music - something more than music - HD800 are for sure not for you - You will be happy with Grados a lot more. If you want listen to the music, just music - this is a good way
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #463 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallow81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey.

For me HD800 sounds like what I wanted to hear from GS1000.
I've done many experiments with millions of systems for GS1000 but they never sound this way...just like HD800 sounds.

Moreover, I like very much K701 and HD800 is a big step forward in my opinion.

And...If you're a serious audiophile and you want to hear from music - something more than music - HD800 are for sure not for you - You will be happy with Grados a lot more. If you want listen to the music, just music - this is a good way
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll just give you a couple of weeks to realize what is really wrong with those Sennheiser's and you'll say then - If you want to listen to the sounds, just sounds, building no music - the HD800 is the best way.
smily_headphones1.gif
I still think the HD25-1's are the best dynamic Sennheiser's available, and the Grado PS1000 are the best dynamic headphones available. Cannot comment on the UE8's and don't expect miracles from (un)modded Denon's.

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #464 of 632
Quote:

But there was this suggestion -- both in Skylab's review and in a remark made by IPodPJ somewhere in this thread -- that the HD800 doesn't quite reach that deeply, not flatly anyway. That's my basis for suspecting that you're using the term "neutral" with a different meaning than it has for me. Again, I do understand how deep-bass-challenged phones may properly be called "neutral" for the part of the spectrum that they cover. But I tend to think of neutrality as top-to-bottom neutrality. IME, the term "top-to-bottom neutrality" perfectly describes the D7000. (The DX1000 is the prettiest version of neutrality that I've known and my #1 fave, but not exactly a case of lab-grade neutrality.
biggrin.gif
) It's an essential part of what I expect from state-of-the-art headphones.

Thanks for the discussion!

beerchug.gif

You never heard that from me. I never said the HD800 doesn't extend deeply, flatly. In fact, I mentioned I thought the bass was stronger and deeper than the D5000 and the D7000, but it is not bloated or artificially enhanced in any way. These cans have tons of accurate bass. I ran a test sweep on these headphones from 20k to 20 and I thought the floor and walls were caving in. Listening to music on the balanced Beta 22 gave these headphones such incredible impact the D7000 could only dream of having. And I used to be a Denon man. Now they get exactly zero listening time.

And to those who think the HD800 sounds like a grown-up K70x.... I agree somewhat but the HD800 is levels above the K70x. I was telling my friend who also owns a K702 that on a scale of 1-10 with the HD800 being a 10 the K70x would be a 6, maybe a 6.5 when I added my custom cable for it. Considering the difference in price between the K702 and the HD800, the K702 are a great value. But they are hardly the ultimate performer.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #465 of 632
Quote:

eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Cat's outta the bag now, S. You can run but you can't hide. We're expecting a comprehensive review of the GS1Ki soon! Of course, it's one of the most controversial 'phones around so expect a lot of heat! LOL!
beerchug.gif

Did you notice how just mentioning it in the same breath as the HD800 creates an instant seismic reaction?

But as many others have said, they're different animals. Thus, liking them both isn't contradictory. They're like a beautiful wife and a hot mistress. (I wish!) No contradiction at all. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors and the unkind implications. Unintentional.)

I wonder how long it's going to be before you come to your senses and decide to get the HD800. (Nah, jus kidding!)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back