REVIEW: Sennheiser HD 800
Jul 9, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #421 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one has preformed comparisons from the likes of apuresound and moon audio. This is around [size=large]$1000[/size] dollars difference between cables, sound unheard.

We wait someone with stock reterminate with XLR will compare with other cables.

Someone ?

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #422 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that's what magnification is. It magnifies -- gives you more than what you'd see normally.

In my example, I see 100% as neutral, like the K701 -- no magnification. Thus 150% is 1.5x magnification. My point is that the HD800 magnifies dynamics.

I haven't heard the K702, but the K701's light bass wasn't ideal for rock until I matched it up with the Shanling PH100. Now, the bass is deep and clean. I'm guessing that the K701 may be amp sensitive.

That's an interesting application of "right" and "natural" if soundstage is too tall (I like that descriptor, "tall"), the highs are a little too high, and the bass is a bit light. It's interesting because it's a paradox that fits what I'm experiencing, too. With the m902 via optical, the HD800 is even airier and the bass is lighter (but still punchy), but all of it feels natural and sweet, with absolutely no fatigue after many, many hours. So enjoyable that I don't want to stop listening.

One thing I'm discovering is that the HD800 brings out the beauty of the piano. And voices. Voices sound so real and human.

Thanks for the feedback, IPodPJ.

Hi feifan

Following the HD800 threads I’m trying to grasp the phones perspective without actually having heard them, correct me if I’m wrong.
In comparison to the AKG K701s, what is basically being discussed is the AKG house sound, which in terms of the K501/601/701/2 is known as always having put the listener farther back from the performance.
The Senn HD580/600/650’s has always been a warmer closer perspective and if we bring up Grado, they are basically almost putting you on stage or at least front row.
So feifan, when you refer to magnification are you saying that Sennheiser has maintained their house perspective but somehow increased the size of the imaging and overall clarity of the details?

Excluding your observations in terms of magnification, would you say the HD800’s have more in common tonally to the AKG’s or the HD580/600/650’s.

The reason I bring this up is that when going over Skylab’s review I could easily replace the word HD800 with K701 as I’ve just finally added the 701’s to my roster (after being in Head-fi limbo for a few years) and my observations in reference to my other phones is similar.
(please, I’m in no way insinuating the quality of one over the other, the general consensus is that the HD800 is the better phone).

I should point out, I have no preference pertaining to one manufacturer or an other, their diverse approaches satisfies different recording techniques and listening attitudes

With regards to the Shanling/AKG combo your observations mirror mine.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/sha...ml#post5830670

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #423 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We wait someone with stock reterminate with XLR will compare with other cables.

Someone ?

Sorry guys - I had a stock reterminated by Alex to compare to my hd800 v3 (the first prototype), both balanced, both with Furutech, though different models.

The analogy is the same as the stock hd650 cable to a v3, just not to the same degree. Where the 650 case is substantial, the hd800 case is quite narrow, but I preferred the v3 (air, microdetail, etc) over the stock, and sold the stock cable to a fine Head-fier who needed a balanced cable.

If I were using a number, I'd say the the delta was 94 for stock, vs 100 for v3, or in stat termss, 2 std for stock, and 4 std for v3.

Take with a grain of salt, my bias, my rig, etc, but, I cannot answer if the cost differential is worth it for others. Obviously, it was for me.

The stock cable is a fine cable, but, I believe there are better options. And, the DIY option will be available soon as well.

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #424 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi feifan

Following the HD800 threads I’m trying to grasp the phones perspective without actually having heard them, correct me if I’m wrong.
In comparison to the AKG K701s, what is basically being discussed is the AKG house sound, which in terms of the K501/601/701/2 is known as always having put the listener farther back from the performance.
The Senn HD580/600/650’s has always been a warmer closer perspective and if we bring up Grado, they are basically almost putting you on stage or at least front row.
So feifan, when you refer to magnification are you saying that Sennheiser has maintained their house perspective but somehow increased the size of the imaging and overall clarity of the details?

Rob80b, this is an interesting question, and I'm wondering why I haven't thought about it. I haven't heard the 580 and 600 so my comments are about the 650. My first and so far lasting impression is that the HD800 is a totally different animal. It doesn't sound anything like the HD650. On the one hand, the 650's darkness makes it warm and intimate, passionate and vibrant with a bass beat that's natural and deep. Yet it's revealing to the point where I can really get into the individual instruments and voices if I want to -- or focus on the whole.

On the other hand, the HD800 is open and vast with a completely black background, and you can literally hear a pin drop in the farthest recesses of the massive soundstage. It's like getting a new pair of glasses with improved specs after spending years with an old, degraded pair. The 20-20 clarity is astonishing. But add to that the ability to click into 20-05 mode and you have the HD800.

The HD800 is quick -- quicker than anything else I've ever heard. And this quickness is especially noticeable in the deep bass where I'd normally expect to find some fuzziness when bass levels tend to collide.

Quote:

Excluding your observations in terms of magnification, would you say the HD800’s have more in common tonally to the AKG’s or the HD580/600/650’s.

The only AKG I've heard is the K701, and I'd say yes. But as I said in an earlier post, the HD800 and K701 are really very different -- almost two-dimensional when compared to the HD800.

Quote:

The reason I bring this up is that when going over Skylab’s review I could easily replace the word HD800 with K701 as I’ve just finally added the 701’s to my roster (after being in Head-fi limbo for a few years) and my observations in reference to my other phones is similar.
(please, I’m in no way insinuating the quality of one over the other, the general consensus is that the HD800 is the better phone).

I should point out, I have no preference pertaining to one manufacturer or an other, their diverse approaches satisfies different recording techniques and listening attitudes

With regards to the Shanling/AKG combo your observations mirror mine.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/sha...ml#post5830670

The Shanling has been a pleasant surprise for me. It synergizes with the K701 extremely well. It's almost as though their engineers used it as a reference. It's also great with the HD800.

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #426 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beagle,

Yes, the HD800 leak more than the K70x. And you can hear everything with them on your head if no music is playing.

Thank you IPodPJ. I had a Beyerdynamic DT431 that you could hear right through as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beagle, I just did an A/B with the K701 and HD800, and the HD800 leaks a bit more. The difference is noticeable, but still slight. That's even after I lowered the volume level in the HD800 for comfort. I'm at 64.5 with the HD800, and at 66.0 with the K701. With computer as source, I have the volume level all the way up in the player and the system so the level on the m902 may be lower than what others may think of as normal.

That makes me a bit more comfortable with getting an HD800. I expected significant leakage because the driver is right at the back, like the 701. But if it's only "a bit more" than the 701, I'll be OK because the 701 is not as problematic in that area as the GS1000.

Thanks for your help feifan!

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #427 of 632
Background: I sold the ah-d7000 to fund the HD800.

Now when listening to HD800, there is a glory, awe and appreciation for it's beautiful presentation.

But I missed just the fun of it all. So I decided to order a used pair of ah-d2000 from amazon warehouse for $167 (returned item) just to complement the HD800. I know it was colored, bass bloated but I had so much fun. I was was just grinning, moving and bobbing my head like a silly happy kid again. It was just earthly fun.

Sometimes you just need both and both have their merits. Thank you skylab for reminding me of this and recommending the ah-d2000 (for it's bass slam features). I don't know why but I'm enjoying the ah-d2000 more than when I had the ah-d7000. I think the ah-d2000 is more fun than the ah-d7000.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #428 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now when listening to HD800, there is a glory, awe and appreciation for it's beautiful presentation.

But I missed just the fun of it all. So I decided to order a used pair of ah-d2000 from amazon warehouse for $167 (returned item) just to complement the HD800. I know it was colored, bass bloated but I had so much fun. I was was just grinning, moving and bobbing my head like a silly happy kid again. It was just earthly fun.

Sometimes you just need both and both have their merits.

PS: I don't know why but I'm enjoying these ah-d2000 more than when I had the ah-d7000.

Obviously you are happy with your current stock but perhaps in the future
your could try the Ultrasone Edition 8's?
They may provide enough of what you're looking for in both domains
in a single phone.

According to initial reviews they are more detailed than the Edition 9's.

There's a good thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/edi...ession-403151/

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #429 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My experience is very similar to yours (but I will not be selling my D7000s!). I am in awe and have great appreciation for the technical accomplishments of the HD800s, but so far, I just get so much more pleasure from listening to music with the Denons. I can see the HD800s as excellent tools for analyzing what has been recorded, but for my particular preferences, if I want to kick back and just groove with some music, they are far from satisfying.

They are incredible with the Luxman P-1 and the HA5000, but the Leben seems to add a bit more warmth and 'life.' Perhaps, a tubey warm euphonic amp is what I really need. Any suggestions?

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #430 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience is very similar to yours (but I will not be selling my D7000s!). I am in awe and have great appreciation for the technical accomplishments of the HD800s, but so far, I just get so much more pleasure from listening to music with the Denons. I can see the HD800s as excellent tools for analyzing what has been recorded, but for my particular preferences, if I want to kick back and just groove with some music, they are far from satisfying.

They are incredible with the Luxman P-1 and the HA5000, but the Leben seems to add a bit more warmth and 'life.' Perhaps, a tubey warm euphonic amp is what I really need. Any suggestions?

Wow, sometimes the truth hurts, I’m sticking to the road, this will get me closer to the music I’m sure.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #431 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SWhere the 650 case is substantial, the hd800 case is quite narrow, but I preferred the v3 (air, microdetail, etc) over the stock, and sold the stock cable to a fine Head-fier who needed a balanced cable.

Thx for your comments ... I take that in consideration. I will look elsewhere than stock reterminated.

Next ... HD800 + Voice (hardwire) vs HD800 + APS ...

Someone ? :wink:

I see 699$ for Equinox for HD800 ... while APS v3 is 290$.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #432 of 632
Quote:

My experience is very similar to yours (but I will not be selling my D7000s!). I am in awe and have great appreciation for the technical accomplishments of the HD800s, but so far, I just get so much more pleasure from listening to music with the Denons?

Same here for me, except it's with my HD650 ... My D5000 are just good enough to listening background music at work.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #433 of 632
Quote:

I don't want to turn this into a denon thread but is the denon 2000 a little more forward with everything (midrange, bass) than the 7000. I felt from my memory that the 7000 was a little more refined and laid back with more extended bass and treble... it could be why I find the 2000 more fun than the 7000 when i had them. i feel like it has more energy and in your face sound than the 7000.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #434 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m sticking to the road, this will get me closer to the music I’m sure.

Yeah, there is no way I am showing these babies the door anytime soon. They are intriguing cans for sure. I do feel the jury is still out for me and do not rule out the possibility that either I will grow more used to the presentation or be able to find the right amp to get them much closer to my preferences. If not, any loss I incur from selling them will be considered a very worthwhile rental fee.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #435 of 632
I've listened to the HD800 for a couple of weeks now. I still really enjoy them, but I'm starting to agree with Skylab about the less-than-fantastic bass response. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to start saving up for the JVC DX1000. I haven't noticed the harsh highs, however I most likely listen to a much lower volume than 80dB. Skylab, what SPL meter are you using? I should probably purchase one off eBay. I tend to listen to music off my iPhone with one "notch" and I still have to lower the gain on all my mp3s (using Nuforce NE-7M).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back