REVIEW: Sennheiser HD 800
Jul 10, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #436 of 632
Well my listening in the last week is something like HD800s 90% and JVC DX1000s 10% and that is after having the HD800s for five weeks so not that extremely new to me anymore, and the DX1000s I have had about ten months, so they aren't an old pair by any means. I actually really like the JVCs but I am being liberal saying that I even have listened to them 10% of the time. So for those who are jumping to the DX1000s, which i highly recommend-one of my favorites, I hope you listen to them first and figure if it is worth the price for how much you will use them, they aren't cheap either.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #437 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my listening in the last week is something like HD800s 90% and JVC DX1000s 10% and that is after having the HD800s for five weeks so not that extremely new to me anymore, and the DX1000s I have had about ten months, so they aren't an old pair by any means. I actually really like the JVCs but I am being liberal saying that I even have listened to them 10% of the time. So for those who are jumping to the DX1000s, which i highly recommend-one of my favorites, I hope you listen to them first and figure if it is worth the price for how much you will use them, they aren't cheap either.

Ah, now I'm not sure what to do! I don't think any stores have them available for auditioning outside of Japan. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the HD800. I just wish it had a tiny bit more slam in the bass. I was thinking the DX1000 would compliment the HD800 nicely.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #438 of 632
If you plan to keep BOTH, then I do think they complement each other nicely.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #439 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2 I have both as well and the HD 800 get 95% of my time. The DX 1000 is good, but its just not giving me what the HD 800 is giving me. If I had to sum it up in one word, I would call it effortlessness!

Quote:

Originally Posted by raccoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, now I'm not sure what to do! I don't think any stores have them available for auditioning outside of Japan. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the HD800. I just wish it had a tiny bit more slam in the bass. I was thinking the DX1000 would compliment the HD800 nicely.

It will, if you need some slam every now an then, but otherwise, the HD 800s will fill in nicely.

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #440 of 632
Hi guys. Thinking about upgrading to some HD800s, maybe balanced. I'm currently running an HD600/Cardas (SE), but I do find I'd like a bit more "excitement" in the sound (mainly prog rock/jazz/bluegrass). I'd also like to hear a bit more space between the components of the music...the HD600 can sound rather congested to my ears (this is through an EAR+ HD2 and Naim Headline2, with SB3 & Ci Audio VDA2 DAC, which I love). Also considering an amp upgrade...Sonett perhaps when 240v is available, or maybe even a b22, depending on funds. I'm assuming the HD800 will demand this level of amplification lest it be a Ferrari towing a caravan!

Any opinions on whether the HD800 might provide that extra excitement & space, and perhaps whether it'll only provide it via an amp upgrade as well? Cheers!

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #441 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. Thinking about upgrading to some HD800s, maybe balanced. I'm currently running an HD600/Cardas (SE), but I do find I'd like a bit more "excitement" in the sound (mainly prog rock/jazz/bluegrass). I'd also like to hear a bit more space between the components of the music...the HD600 can sound rather congested to my ears (this is through an EAR+ HD2 and Naim Headline2, with SB3 & Ci Audio VDA2 DAC, which I love). Also considering an amp upgrade...Sonett perhaps when 240v is available, or maybe even a b22, depending on funds. I'm assuming the HD800 will demand this level of amplification lest it be a Ferrari towing a caravan!

Any opinions on whether the HD800 might provide that extra excitement & space, and perhaps whether it'll only provide it via an amp upgrade as well? Cheers!

pedalhead, since it's relatively new, the dust hasn't settled yet, and the reviews are varied. The majority seems to feel that soundstage and dynamics are phenomenal. However, we're getting mixed results with different amps.

We're also divided on the adequacy of the low end (sub base and bass) and on the highs that appear to some to be emphasized. We seem to agree that the mids are great.

Re the low-high issues, some believe it's tied to the amps, others that it's a weakness in the design, and still others that it's perfect and not an issue.

Among those who like it, most seem to agree that, while its strength is in its power to reveal the best (and the worst, for that matter) that's in a recorded track, the HD800 is also fun, exciting, musical.

For those who really like it, it's a quantum leap in 'phone technology. For those who don't, it's not worth $1400 and its virtues are way overblown.

So, at this early stage, the best test is still your own ears, i.e., until we've all had time to settle in with the HD800 and begin to sort out its true strengths and weaknesses, synergies, and mismatches.

Personally, they're the best cans I've ever heard. That is, up until now.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #442 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it would provide the "space", without question. It excels at this.

As for "excitement", this really depends on what that means to you. For some people, this means a headphone with more treble energy. The HD800 has that versus some cans. For some, it means more bass. The HD800 does not have that versus most cans. For some, it means more transparency, and the HD800 has that versus many. For some it means a more "romantic" sound, and the HD800 does not have that.

So - what does exciting mean to you?

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #443 of 632
Thanks for the replies Feifan & Skylab, most helpful. Good point about what defines "excitement" to me. My audiophile vocab is a bit limited, but I'd say I get some of the excitement I'm after from my existing headphile modded MS2s, but there are other things about those that I don't like so much, mainly that they don't sound very natural, a bit harsh..do these have pronounced mids/highs? Put it this way, I'm more likely to dance around the room with the MS2s...I guess there's an exciting presentation there, but ultimately I prefer the straight-up sound quality of the HD600s overall, even if they don't make me dance. I guess I'm after a set of HD600s that make me dance :), but without the harshness. I know, I may as well get you to guess my phone number...hard to describe this stuff :).

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #444 of 632
a better combo would perhaps be HD 800 plus LFE or other transducer if you need more body to it and are listening at home. Though especially since the HD 800 is mentioned to be super open you better make sure you have a sturdy sofa or something so you don´t get rattling. Seriously it works

As for the DX 1000 for me it was that it was just to specialized. I want to be able to use the same headphone listening to all kind of music (alleater) without being disturbed by things that is totally wrong. And the closed in soundstage never became natural for me. Could always hear the sound bounching around in the wooden cups. Cool at first but it always reminded me I am listening to headphones and the wooden cups is part to "blame" for the colouration I suspect
frown.gif

And in combination with other headphones or speakers they require some tune in time thus.

But well I am just trying to justify me selling them. Best headphones I have ever sold that´s for sure. I am a bit curious about the HD 800 do they have the same "power"? They put my other headphones in shame in that regard. DX 1000 is more in class with my speakers there. I am not talking about bass impact but midrange/treble?

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #445 of 632
It is most disappointing that no one has reviewed them at high altitude, as I live at 7000 feet above sea level.

Definitely less airy. And blood boils at 13 degrees (F) lower temperature.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #446 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdavid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is most disappointing that no one has reviewed them at high altitude, as I live at 7000 feet above sea level.

Definitely less airy. And blood boils at 13 degrees (F) lower temperature.

They are slower and brighter up here at 6500 feet because the speed of sound is only 1060 fps or so in the thin air. Obviously there is less bass impact with the thinner air as well.

No, but in all seriousness, the HD800 have slightly less bass and slightly more treble than my re-cabled HD600, but more speed, detail and transparency. They do remind me a lot of my HE60 electrostatics, but with slightly better impact than the HE60 and a little more grounded and focused image than the etherial soundstage of the HE60.

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #447 of 632
Thank you for your response HeadphoneAddict. It may be your lower altitude, but I don't find them to have less bass than my re-cabled HD600s. Due to their clamping effect, I don't put the 600s on my head.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #449 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdavid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thread has died. Was it something I said?

LOL! No, nothing you said - I think people just wore out after 30 pages
smily_headphones1.gif

And sorry I could not answer your question - I live a whopping 600 feet above sea level
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back