review: Phiaton MS 400
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #46 of 113
I'll be getting 2rooi's MS400 once budget allows. I don't think I want the MS200 but you never know hahah.

Regarding the flats... they are nothing like the Comfies with quarter mod. The resultant sound signature is very different. Quarter Modded Comfies still contain a lot of brightness to the sound and lack in bass impact. The Flats lose all the glare and deliver much more bass impact. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #47 of 113

Quote:
mythless said:

I think those are called comfies while the flats are something different or at least that's what I'm assuming. 

Ah, I think you're right. Anyhow, I switched out my SR80 comfies onto the HF2 (just barely got them to fit, since the HF2 is a bit larger). The result is much MUCH more comfortable. The bass is also more pronounced (well, the highs have been attenuated a bit which brings out the bass, but it doesn't feel like any detail has been lost up top) and separation believe it or not seems even further apart.

Amusingly, the bowl pads on the SR80 are fairly comfortable. The SR80s are smaller, so the pads sink deeper which means my ears don't rest against the grill. Soundwise, they just sound smaller than the HF2. Anemic bass, smaller stage, the mids and highs are quite similar though, but lack the crispness of the HF2 (listening right now to Secret by Maroon 5, there are finger snaps that are clear on the HF2 but I can barely make them out on the SR80).

After bouncing between the grados, I'm really missing the bass from the MS400, and I'm not even a basshead. The grados do have that lovely high end though.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #48 of 113
Hmm, I'm not sure if it's burn-in or my ear playing tricks on me, but the MS400 is starting to feel more "closed". Hmm, you know what, it's probably because I've been A/B'ing against the Grados, whereas before I was mostly comparing against the Shure 840.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #49 of 113
I'm not so sure here. I think the burn in must be doing it. I thought this set was done burning in already at around 150 hours, but I was quite shocked yesterday to find that my MS300 sounded very different from what I remember it sounding a couple of days ago. True, I started ABing it against some Denons, but still the change was apparent. Whereas I found it very bright and forward a few days ago, so far as to say it's a portable Grado, I find it now to quite laidback and without much glare.

I'm actually quite happy with how it sounds now. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #50 of 113
Yeah I take it back. I had been listening to the HF2 and PX100 a lot lately, which just made the MS400 sound very closed in comparison. I put on my old JBL Ref 410 (very closed and bassy) for a while, then went back to the MS400 and it didn't feel so closed anymore. Just goes to show that your reference points are important.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #51 of 113
Hehe that is something important to keep in mind. I should AB the MS300 against my modded Grados to see if I find them overly bright again. But the theory doesn't fit in my scenario, as the Denons are very dark and if anything would make the MS300 sound brighter. I wonder if it really is still burning in.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #52 of 113
Mythless auditioned the MS400 today, and his reaction was something along the lines of "those are totally opposite from grado's sound signature".

I've been thinking a bit about the sound signature of these cans, and I believe that it's the resonance of the cups that gives it such a warm characteristic. When you look at the frequency response chart, it looks like the mids have this sharp drop, but when you listen the mids come out with this lush sound. That's when you take a look at the isolation chart, where we see it actually has a hump in the midrange instead of any attenuation. So yeah, the frequency chart shows a recessed mid, but what's there will resonate and give it that nice concert hall effect, which is what defines your mids from your lows.

Now if only the MS400 had a better high end response.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #54 of 113
Actually, that was poor wording on my part. The response is fine, I just find them a bit lean up in the high end. I sometimes give them just a tiny boost on EQ.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #56 of 113
Can these be worn around the neck when not in use (kind of like you can do with the Beats Studios)? Or do the two earcups clamp together too tightly when not in use.

EDIT: Also, what are the approximate dimensions of the earcups from the inside edges? I might buy one and I'm trying to find out if it'll be supra-aural or circumaural. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #57 of 113
I've yet to meet a pair of largish sized headphones I couldn't wear around my neck. The MS300 can be worn around the neck, these should be no different.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #58 of 113
OK. thanks. Really close to buying. Few just a few things I have to clear up first.

What are the dimensions of the inside of the earcups? Hoping they're big enough to be circum-aural. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #59 of 113
The inner pad dimensions are 2"x1.25". They sit in between supra and circumaural for me. They usually start as supra on my head, but then I usually slip the upper earlobe under the pad which is much more comfortable for me. If you have big ears and are looking for a fully circumaural headphone, this isn't it. It provides better isolation as a supraaural though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back