review: Phiaton MS 400
Jul 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #31 of 113
Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try out any of those cans. I think somebody had the DT770 at the last local meet, but I was busy working the bbq so didn't really get a chance to listen to anything. Now if you'd like to work out some sort of exchange, let me know...
biggrin.gif

(I think the bassiest cans I have are the JBL Ref 410, but I haven't listened to those in a while so can't do a direct comparison)

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #32 of 113
LOL I don't mind an exchange but unless you live in the Philippines it will be hard for us to swap, postage and customs duties will kill us both.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #33 of 113
Yeah, that might be a bit of a problem. Pesky shipping fees... there were a couple items 2rooi had that I was interested in, but the shipping is just to much for me (but probably great for you).

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #35 of 113
That'd be cool man. I auditioned the HF2 briefly at the meet, but mostly have my comparison to the SR80 to work off of. Sent you a pm.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #36 of 113
Huh, something I just noticed today. The MS400 sounds fairly similar to the Senn PX100. The Phiatons have sharper definition across the spectrum and notably stronger bass, but really that's no surprise with a headphone that costs x4 the Senns. I think the PX100 might just barely edge out the MS400 in width of soundstage, due presumably to its open design.

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #37 of 113
So the MS400 does sound slightly laid back? I always felt the PX100 had a rather laidback sound to it, definitely not forward. Man this is really confusing. The MS300 really sounds forward. The PX100 also has very rolled off highs whereas the MS300 seems to be really sharp here.

But lately I modded them a bit by adding some aircon filter material to the cups and they seem to have really mellowed out. That and severe white noise burn in seems to have tamed the treble. Maybe this is closer to what the MS400 sounds like? I also noticed that listening to the MS300 on my Marantz makes them rather laidback (which is normal for anything I put into the Marantz) whereas listening to them on the uDAC makes them very forward.

Oh and if you can compare the HF2s to the MS400s that would be great, as I am quite familiar with the sound of the HF2.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #38 of 113

I would consider the MS400 to be laid back. It's like... sorta take the PX100 sound, but lift up the Senn veil.  (and just to be certain, I'm talking about the original PX100, not the PX100ii) Also remember that I've got gauze in my MS400, which I felt actually tamed the bass a bit.

It's curious that you consider the PX100 rolled off in the highs. I would consider the MS400 to roll off faster than the PX100.

I've auditioned the uDac before and felt it was considerably brighter than my other gear.

edit: I was just rereading my original review and noticed that in my modding notes I felt that the MS400 sounded similar to my Senns. I guess I had forgotten about that. Then last night as I was listening to my Senns, I thought they reminded me of the MS400. Huh, at least I'm consistent.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #39 of 113
Mythless has been kind enough to lend me his HF2 for comparison. After half an hour so far, I still stand by my assessment of the MS400 being anti-grado. I'm about to head out, but I'll give a more extended listen later on and post comparisons. I can point out the really obvious though, the MS400 trounces the HF2 for bass. Separation is better on the HF2, the MS400 sounds a little more in front of you.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #40 of 113
That was expected. But nice to hear. The MS300 by the way loses to the HF2 in bass. Looks like I really will pick up the MS400 soon. Also isn't it funny that the anti-grado is more forward than the HF2? Hehhe. The HF2 is really a weird Grado.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #41 of 113
Yeah, the HF2 is just really really wide. Maybe it's still in front, but the separation is so distractingly far that I lose sense of depth. I think 2rooi has both the 200 and 400 for sale, I say you should get both and post your impressions
smile_phones.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #42 of 113

Further impressions, though nothing really significant that hasn't been said already:

MS400
- much easier to drive
- extends to lower freq, much more volume, good thump
- much more comfortable
- staging narrower, instruments are right in front of you
- mids are clear above the bass
- highs are a bit lost when there's a lot of bass

HF2
- same tightness of bass, but feels so thin and weak in comparison
- obviously better highs, has the shimmer the MS400 lacks, better articulation up in the hi hats
- mids I feel are comparable to each other, just a different signature
- these doughnut pads are useless, the grills are resting right agaisnt my ears
- better separation, feels like the instruments are on either side of you

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #43 of 113
Haha I told you they weren't the most comfiest headphones I got, those are some heavy suckers haha, I should see if creative audio have some flats.  If not I guess I'll have to order them from TTVJ or at least ebay some fake ones!

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #44 of 113
Before you do that, I'll try switching the flats from my SR80 and see if that makes a difference.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #45 of 113
I think those are called comfies while the flats are something different or at least that's what I'm assuming.  Since I never saw the flats before I don't know if they would produce the same comfort/sound to the standard comfies.  As it also seems that TTVJ is probably the only place to get these Flats.

Edit: Hrmm upon further investigation, flats just seem to be the comfies with a whole in the middle, I guess similar to the quarter mod on either the comfies or the senn pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back