review: Phiaton MS 400
Sep 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #61 of 113
I have actually *never* heard an Ultrasone, so unfortunately I can't help you there. Sorry.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #62 of 113

How do these compare with the Ultrasone line? Specifically the hfi 780. Can't find information anywhere comparing these.

I had the HFI 780 and MS400 at the same time a while back, and from my comparisons, the HFI 780 had tighter bass, recessed midrange and piercing highs. Although, I'm still confused by the sound of the MS400. Sometimes, it seems like it's got a very unnatural and artificial soundstage (like Dolby headphone was on). Also the highs on the MS400 lack some sparkle and sometimes distort. I find that they don't do instruments that well, but are great with electronic music. The MS400 are by no means accurate, but I guess you can call them fun. In the end, I sold the HFI 780 and kept the MS400 based on fun factor (I have other phones for accuracy), portability and comfort, plus that red leather just screams "WEAR ME".

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #63 of 113
So I was reading the "How to equalize your headphones" page the other day (thread/wiki) and looking over the part about perceived response and tuning down those high end frequencies. I'll let you read the thread yourself, but here are two things to take away from it:

Quote:
"an acoustic impedance mismatch between transducer, ear canal, and eardrum" is causing a resonance that results in a large peak at 7.5kHz, coloring the sound

Quote:
Anyone is susceptible to this effect, and unless your headphone's inherent frequency response happens to match your personal resonance frequency, you are likely already experiencing the effect. Even very high-end headphones will exhibit this problem

So basically, depending on the combination of ear-to-headphone, you will likely get some sort of resonance in the upper frequencies that will make those peaks much louder and harsh (the exact peak changes depending on the combination, and there may be multiple).

Below is the author's (PiccoloNamek) equalization for his STAX. Below that is the frequency response of the Phiaton MS 400. Hmm, notice anything similar?

(pic from HeadRoom <headphone.com>)

So what I deduce from this is that the MS400 happen to match my personal ear frequency resonance thingamabobber (basically the second quote above), which is why I like them so much. They aren't as detailed or spacious as some of my other cans, but it just sounds "right" to my ear. Playing around with some of the graphs on HeadRoom, that might give a partial explanation of why I like some cans, and really don't like certain others.

Food for thought.

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #64 of 113
I should also hopefully have the MS300 and PS500 coming in soon, so I will be writing up another review comparing those three.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #65 of 113

Quote:
... The inner pad dimensions are 2"x1.25". ...

Armaegis, could you also tell what the outer dimensions of the pads are. Asi have "big" ears and would like to see if they would cover my ears. Unlucky I don't have a chance (in Melbourne) to test ware them before I buy them online.

Thanks for your help.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #66 of 113
I've lent them out at the moment, but you can sort of extrapolate the size from the image I have talking about the cotton mod. The pad width is maybe 3/4" around. I will measure once I get them back.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #67 of 113
I really like the look of the MS400, but I am afraid they will be a bit so small for my ears (big big ears I have around 3") and as u also called them warm sounding... hmm..

Would you rather recommend the ms 500? could you tell me the dimensions of the pads if you still have them?

Thanks

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #68 of 113
Check out my comparison of the 300/400/500 here...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523079/upcoming-review-phiaton-showdown-ms-300-vs-ms-400-vs-ps-500/

If you have big ears, the MS400 will be supraaural on you. The PS500 should be plenty big enough though. The PS500 sound is also cooler than the MS400.

I don't have the cans on me at the moment, but I will try to remember to post dimensions up tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #69 of 113
I've put up a table with earpad dimensions on my other thread. See the first post of my 300/400/500 comparison.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #70 of 113
9 cm the ms 400 so that means the pads are adding almost 4 cm to the whole "stuff" so if my ears are around 8 cm (from top to bottom)  it would cover my ears?

And thank you for the post of the dimensions. I think 11 cm for the ps500 is pretty bit though isn't it...

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #71 of 113
Yeah, the MS400 would definitely sit on your ear, not around.

The PS500 pads are almost the exact same size as the Shure 840 and Audio Technica M50. If either of those fits you (readily available at any guitar or music center), then the PS 500 will be fine.

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #73 of 113
Those are indeed goodlooking headphones for sure
the shape of these Phiaton headphones remind me of Bose Headphones (which aren't that great but has similar price)
thankgod there is actually a store sell those phones in US
def would check them out sometimes
thanks for the review

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #75 of 113
I personally did not notice any significant change with break-in. The MS300 felt like the bass increased a little, but the MS400 sounds the same now as when I first got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back