review: Phiaton MS 400
Jun 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #91 of 113
lol sry for triple ppost but i figured out what the baffle thing is but will the tape lower the mids because when i put foam in it lowers treble, and i love the treble on them i just want less mid more bass but obviously not an overwhelming amount

and i just tried covering the very center part of the baffle thing assuming the mid is most present there and i got decent results but i feel like its muffled 

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #92 of 113
The gauze I used is just some radom medical stuff I found in the medicine cabinet. Before that, I was just using cotton balls stretched out.

The baffle/bass vents are all the same thing, I just don't know what to call them. There are four of them under the earpad. Try taping over some first and see how that sounds, since that's the more easily reversible one. I can't make any promises over how the sound will change. My expermentation has been more with orthos, which are a different beast. Actually, maybe consider some damping inside the cups too. I find this tends to bring down the mids/highs, which will effectively make the bass feel stronger.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #95 of 113
Now I'm not entirely certain which vents you've been covering. Whenever I say bass port or vent or baffle whatever, I've only ever referred to the same 4 holes surrounding the driver.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #97 of 113
They do quite well with classical in my opinion. There's a warmish tilt that brings out the heavy strings and woodwinds quite nicely.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #98 of 113
But MS400 sound stage is almost NIL.  There is hardly any width to it with almost no staging out directly in front of you.  In term of sonic qualities the MS400 is not bad, but presentation is almost the polar opposite of what most listeners would want to have while listening to classical.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #99 of 113
I didn't find that staging that bad for a closed on-ear. Smallish, but rounded. The MS300 perhaps a bit smaller yet, the PS500 had good width but no depth.

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #100 of 113
Tried this mod with bunched up saran wrap instead of cotton/gauze...sounds ghetto but it noticeably improves the soundstage AND isolation (sounds weird but its true), also makes them (barely) circumaural to me; for reference my ears are pretty average sized. Having something underneath the pads stretches them out, makes them more taut and makes the ear-space bigger. Also tightens up the bass a little, it feels punchier now. I really wish there was some way to mod the drivers to bring out the subbass...if I could magically improve extension on both ends and give the mids a little bit more of an aggressive feel, the MS400 would now be THE perfect headphone for me.

Also I'm curious if anyone might have ideas about how the sound would change by removing black fabric that covers the driver. Perhaps bring the highs forward? Any chance it would lessen the bass?

I think I also saw something once about puncturing the mesh that sits between the fabric and driver, you can see it when you remove the earpads, but I can't seem to find it now.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #101 of 113
If I still had the MS400, I'd consider putting some damping material in the cups and/or mass load the baffle. This usually improves bass extension while decreasing overall sensitivity.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #102 of 113

Quote:
Tried this mod with bunched up saran wrap instead of cotton/gauze...sounds ghetto but it noticeably improves the soundstage AND isolation (sounds weird but its true), also makes them (barely) circumaural to me; for reference my ears are pretty average sized. Having something underneath the pads stretches them out, makes them more taut and makes the ear-space bigger. Also tightens up the bass a little, it feels punchier now. I really wish there was some way to mod the drivers to bring out the subbass...if I could magically improve extension on both ends and give the mids a little bit more of an aggressive feel, the MS400 would now be THE perfect headphone for me.

Also I'm curious if anyone might have ideas about how the sound would change by removing black fabric that covers the driver. Perhaps bring the highs forward? Any chance it would lessen the bass?

I think I also saw something once about puncturing the mesh that sits between the fabric and driver, you can see it when you remove the earpads, but I can't seem to find it now.

really? I loved the mids of the MS400, easily my favorite mids of any can I've heard. The bass really complimented it and gave warmth to it, I felt like I was listening to new music all the time, but I also thought the bass wasn't aggressive enough when called for. Very very relaxed headphones. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #105 of 113
Hi, I just bought the MS400, I like them very much, they sound good for the money (Paid $130 on Bestbuy), they have very good soundstage for a closed back headphones, they are very comfortable too and look sexy! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back