Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Apr 1, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #61 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the stock power tube is good enough, right ? if change with 6H30PI, it will be change the amp character ?

The stock power tubes (6H6N-PI) are excellent! I used these for all of the impressions in my review. If the mod is done for the 6H30 series, you can't use the originals anymore. The 6H30 series will change the default sound of the amp, so I would give all possible consideration to the default power tubes before exploring the mod.

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #62 of 723
Thanx for this amazing review, you've pretty much made my mind up on my first amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chris-

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #63 of 723
Just received my LD MK III, unfortunately there's trouble... Here's the note I just sent off to Alex:

----------------------------------
Hi Alex -

Just received my MK III in the mail. Everything in the box appears ok, except when I set it up and had a listen, the left channel is almost silent. When the volume is turned up, there is some sound from the left, but it is 85 - 90 percent less output than the right channel. The right channel is loud and clear.

I have switched cables, headphones, sources (CD Player, Computers), etc. the trouble is definitely inside the MK III. I also tried switching the tubes back and forth, the problem with the left channel is the same regardless of tube placement.

What should I do?

Jeff
----------------------------------

I sure hope this won't turn into a pain in the butt. I'd hate to have to send it back without a replacement first, and I certainly hope I'm not charged shipping. Does anyone have any service history with this company?

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #64 of 723
Uhhh, Belay that... Not five minutes after I sent the first mail, I received this response:

-----------------------
Hello,

Hmm that's quite unfortunate! We'll go ahead and send you a replacement Little Dot MK III immediately. Please hold onto your current one until you receive the replacement. I apologize for the inconvenience, and please let me know if you have any questions!

Best Regards,
David

-----------------------

So far, so good!

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #65 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhhh, Belay that... Not five minutes after I sent the first mail, I received this response:

-----------------------
Hello,

Hmm that's quite unfortunate! We'll go ahead and send you a replacement Little Dot MK III immediately. Please hold onto your current one until you receive the replacement. I apologize for the inconvenience, and please let me know if you have any questions!

Best Regards,
David

-----------------------

So far, so good!

Customer Service at it's finest! But, who is Alex??
confused.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #67 of 723
I would also like to point out that David was also very fast in responding and correcting to my own blunder of putting down the wrong postal code...I don't know what I was thinking...

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #68 of 723
Funny, I bought my LD MKIII before reading this fantastic review... At that time, it took me at least one hour to make my decision. After reading your review Penchum, I think it would have taken about 2 minutes.
I mostly listen to my tuner through the LDMKIII, out of my AKG501, and I love that sound, very analog as your described. It is also my first tube-amp, and I am so impressed with its liquid like midrange. But the soundstage is definitely terrific too.
I am just dreaming of moving on to a full tube amp for my main system (Illusion + Stax SR-303)...

Still, I have a doubt about the DIP gain switches on the bottom of the amp. There are 2 holes. If I understand properly, they are simetrical. It means that to set up gain to 5, I need to have both switches 1 to ON, and both switches 2 to OFF. Is that right ¿?

Thanks

BTW, this amp looks also so great and sexy to my eyes...

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #69 of 723
I got my MK III today, quick as ever.

I know most of you already know what it looks like, but here are some pics anyway.

Foto-3QVWK7OI.jpg

I'm using the MK III with my HD 650 at the moment.
The MK V is burning in the HFI 780.

Foto-HBSG88SE.jpg

Tubes by night, got to love it.

So now it's burn in time.
After that maybe some tube rolling.

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #70 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpveld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my MK III today, quick as ever.

I know most of you already know what it looks like, but here are some pics anyway.

Foto-3QVWK7OI.jpg

I'm using the MK III with my HD 650 at the moment.
The MK V is burning in the HFI 780.

Tubes by night, got to love it.

So now it's burn in time.
After that maybe some tube rolling.

Hats off to you rpveld! For some reason, the MKIII stacked on top of the MKV makes for the perfect proportions! I've already moved my MKIII over to sit on top of my MKV. It looks so good this way!!! Thanks!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I also subscribe to having a great SS amp and a great tube amp! It's a winning combination for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif
If you pick up a pair of HD-580's to mod, let me know!
smily_headphones1.gif
I can help you out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #71 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I bought my LD MKIII before reading this fantastic review... At that time, it took me at least one hour to make my decision. After reading your review Penchum, I think it would have taken about 2 minutes.
I mostly listen to my tuner through the LDMKIII, out of my AKG501, and I love that sound, very analog as your described. It is also my first tube-amp, and I am so impressed with its liquid like midrange. But the soundstage is definitely terrific too.
I am just dreaming of moving on to a full tube amp for my main system (Illusion + Stax SR-303)...

Still, I have a doubt about the DIP gain switches on the bottom of the amp. There are 2 holes. If I understand properly, they are simetrical. It means that to set up gain to 5, I need to have both switches 1 to ON, and both switches 2 to OFF. Is that right ¿?

Thanks

BTW, this amp looks also so great and sexy to my eyes...

Thanks for the kind words. It is a nice looking amp for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif

Think of each bank of dip switches as a channel, one left, one right.
If it calls for one off and one on, then do this to both channels (banks).
Have a good one!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #72 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hats off to you rpveld! For some reason, the MKIII stacked on top of the MKV makes for the perfect proportions! I've already moved my MKIII over to sit on top of my MKV. It looks so good this way!!! Thanks!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well thank you Penchum, yes I am a artist.
biggrin.gif

It was purely coincidental, I didn’t know where to put it, so on top of the MK V seemed the most logical place.
redface.gif

I do agree with you on the way it looks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also subscribe to having a great SS amp and a great tube amp! It's a winning combination for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif
If you pick up a pair of HD-580's to mod, let me know!
smily_headphones1.gif
I can help you out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I’m not sure I follow you here, could you please elaborate on that?
Does this mean I have to buy yet another set of Head Phones? And then I have to mod them?
If that is the case, I sure need your help….. to explain to my wife why this is absolutely necessary.
Now, my wife is a very understanding person and I’m sure that, in due time and with the right argumentation, you might succeed.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I don’t know what you mean. I probably missed something.
Please explain why I should get a HD 580 and what mod should be done.
There is a sale going on for HD 580’s on Ebay, so it is possible.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #73 of 723
Very happy with my MKIII! Looking to explore different tubes soon, maybe Mullards.

One question though - I don't use the preamp out. Should I get RCA caps for the output?

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #74 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutlemur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very happy with my MKIII! Looking to explore different tubes soon, maybe Mullards.

One question though - I don't use the preamp out. Should I get RCA caps for the output?

Mullards are always a safe bet especially the mil-spec versions with logos printed on, I would probably save up to experiment with different upgrade tubes than spend money on RCA caps, I've never heard of reports of the RCA caps actually improving or changing the sound quality in anyway.

- DoA

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #75 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpveld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain why I should get a HD 580 and what mod should be done.
There is a sale going on for HD 580’s on Ebay, so it is possible.

I think he means that one may add the HD600 grilles to the phones and make them identical to the HD600. - At least that's what I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back