Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #46 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by edvardd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried MKIII as a preamp to powered studio monitors? if that is possible, I'm a bit confused about all this
smily_headphones1.gif

(I'm buying MKIII mainly for my HD650)

The MkIII is a great pre-amp by all accounts. Replacing/upgrading the driver tubes from stock will also help you be able to tune the pre-amp to your exact preference (the preamp out is driven solely by the driver tubes).

- DoA

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #48 of 723
Hendry,
If you PM me your email address I can sent it to you.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #49 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MkIII is a great pre-amp by all accounts. Replacing/upgrading the driver tubes from stock will also help you be able to tune the pre-amp to your exact preference (the preamp out is driven solely by the driver tubes).

- DoA

X2! It is a great Pre-amp for sure. DoA, check this out from DavidZ on the LD site:

"To answer your question, actually all of the MK series amplifiers with pre-amplifier functionality (MK 2, MK 3, MK 4, and MK 4 SE) have the pre-amp signal routed through both the driver and power tubes." Post (#939)

I didn't know this either (until I found it), but some quick power tube swapping while using the pre-out to my T-amp, confirms this!
eek.gif
Now I understand why it sounds so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #51 of 723
I received a MK III today.
But I have a problem when I met the highest volume.
The volume decreases slightly, it does not ?
frown.gif

(setting gain: 10)

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #52 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisounours /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a MK III today.
But I have a problem when I met the highest volume.
The volume decreases slightly, it does not ?
frown.gif

(setting gain: 10)

Double post. Try the other thread.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #53 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- DoA

Not so. The preamp uses all 4 tubes. See the manual.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #55 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it true the standar power tube is 6H6PI ? can i change the tube without mod ?

If you mean to change it to the 6H30PI, yes, you need the mod first. I would give the 6H6N-PI a chance first. It is really a nice sounding power tube. The driver tube rolling possibilities are great and net the most changes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #56 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean to change it to the 6H30PI, yes, you need the mod first. I would give the 6H6N-PI a chance first. It is really a nice sounding power tube. The driver tube rolling possibilities are great and net the most changes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you say that placing other driver tubes besides the stock ones will make it sound BETTER or just DIFFERENT? EX: I have a NOS set of Tung-Sol's I just found on Ebay. If they will make the amp better, I'd rather do the burn in process with them first. (Amp should be here today)

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #57 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that placing other driver tubes besides the stock ones will make it sound BETTER or just DIFFERENT? EX: I have a NOS set of Tung-Sol's I just found on Ebay. If they will make the amp better, I'd rather do the burn in process with them first. (Amp should be here today)

Ow, well, it really doesn't matter in the end. Most folks like to burn-in with the original set, so they have a "default" reference. Then they roll to explore the changes. The Tung-Sols will sound better, once they are burned in too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Considering that every tube set you put in the amp will need to be burned in, they will eventually get their 40-45 hours in the socket at some point. Those demanding tubes! They want their moment in the spotlight!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #58 of 723
Quote:

Considering that every tube set you put in the amp will need to be burned in, they will eventually get their 40-45 hours...

So the tubes only need about 50 hours? That's not so bad, I read your review as +/- 144 hours, but I guess that was for the amp (capacitors, etc) only, right?

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #59 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the tubes only need about 50 hours? That's not so bad, I read your review as +/- 144 hours, but I guess that was for the amp (capacitors, etc) only, right?

Correct. The unit will be around 100-145, but tubes usually take only 40-45.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #60 of 723
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

so the stock power tube is good enough, right ? if change with 6H30PI, it will be change the amp character ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back