Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #106 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I burn in/break in my MKII tooo much?

IIRC, I don't hear as much bass/sub bass before I did the burn in.

I don't think you can burn in tubes "too much".

Unless the sound you are getting is very lifeless, that means the tubes are nearing the end of their lifespan.

eek.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #107 of 659
Quote:

Did I burn in/break in my MKII tooo much?

IIRC, I don't hear as much bass/sub bass before I did the burn in.

Some tubes exhibit more bass (sometimes bloated too) in the beginning and as they settle in, the excess goes away. If the bass sounds tighter and not as loud, this is probably normal. Some folks just have to have more bass (after they settle) and this is why Mullards are a favorite upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #108 of 659
I can say that I do have enough bass when it is meant to be in the recording. Yesterday I listened to Rammstein's "Mutter" album and I have never heard it sound so powerful. Also in trance music the bass is huge. My RS-2's are vibrating on my head.

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #109 of 659
kk, I'll look into Mullards soon. Which ones? I found some 403 Mullard EF95's from that one eBay seller mentioned earlier.

Also, do I need to wait xx minutes for the amp to "warm up"?

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #110 of 659
Quote:

kk, I'll look into Mullards soon. Which ones? I found some 403 Mullard EF95's from that one eBay seller mentioned earlier.

Yes, for me, 5 minutes of warming up would suffice.

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #111 of 659
Quote:

I haven't gotten a chance to try the Mullard 403's yet, so it would be a gamble unless someone here has tried them.
biggrin.gif

If you switched to EF92 mode, you should try these: Mullard M8161 / CV4015 Mil. Spec. Little Dot Amp EF92 - eBay (item 280195645700 end time Feb-01-08 13:41:19 PST)
They are some of the best and they have the shield printed on the tube.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #112 of 659
Quote:

Joshatdot, you will also want to replace the Chinese power tubes in the back with Russian built power tubes 6N6P like these: 6n6p, Industrial Electrical Test, Vintage Electronics items on eBay.com

I ordered a set of 8 when I had to get them for the review. They cost less that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

To be more specific, I ordered this set of 8, due to the factory they were made in, in Russia: ECC99 / E182CC / RUSSIAN 6N6P / 8 NEW NOS !!! - eBay (item 160201803223 end time Jan-30-08 06:09:59 PST)

According to my information sources, this factory made some of the best tubes ever produced in Russia.
Have a good one!!

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #113 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

What does the shield signify?

I have seen some Mullards around without the shield logo, are they knock-offs?

confused.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #114 of 659
Quote:

If you switched to EF92 mode, you should try these: Mullard M8161 / CV4015 Mil. Spec. Little Dot Amp EF92 - eBay (item 280195645700 end time Feb-01-08 13:41:19 PST)
wink.gif

x2! Great tubes and a good honest seller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubletaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the shield signify?

I have seen some Mullards around without the shield logo, are they knock-offs?

They are most likely not knock-offs but we've discovered that for the M-series tubes (such as the M8161), Mullards with shields sound better than those without.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #115 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are most likely not knock-offs but we've discovered that for the M-series tubes (such as the M8161), Mullards with shields sound better than those without.

Very interesting...

Thanks for the heads up!
cool.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #116 of 659
I don't know if this tube has ever come up here before, but I just have to share what I have discovered. I was browsing eBay last week, looking for better EF95 compatible driver tubes for my MKII. By shear luck, I ran into this posting: 6AK5-EF95-5654 Russian Tube 6Zh1P-EV. Lot of 8 - eBay (item 330202746324 end time Jan-15-08 11:01:07 PST)

I received the 6Zh1P-EV's last Saturday and re-configured my MKII for EF95 mode, and put a set in. What a shocker! Right out of the box these sound better than any other EF95 I have tried. I let them play constant until Monday afternoon, when I sat down and did some critical listening. Wide sound stage, crystal clear highs, smooth mids and bass that is very unlike most EF95s. This bass goes all the way down, while remaining and maintaining a flat frequency response! I tell you what these remind me of,,,they remind me of the old WWII era GE 5 star tubes. Maybe even better than that! What a bargain too! Eight tubes in the set and the seller includes an extra two for doing business with him! I hope some of you MKII and MKIII owners will get a chance to try these. They really are worth your time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #117 of 659
Quote:

I don't know if this tube has ever come up here before, but I just have to share what I have discovered. I was browsing eBay last week, looking for better EF95 compatible driver tubes for my MKII. By shear luck, I ran into this posting: 6AK5-EF95-5654 Russian Tube 6Zh1P-EV. Lot of 8 - eBay (item 330202746324 end time Jan-15-08 11:01:07 PST)

I received the 6Zh1P-EV's last Saturday and re-configured my MKII for EF95 mode, and put a set in. What a shocker! Right out of the box these sound better than any other EF95 I have tried. I let them play constant until Monday afternoon, when I sat down and did some critical listening. Wide sound stage, crystal clear highs, smooth mids and bass that is very unlike most EF95s. This bass goes all the way down, while remaining and maintaining a flat frequency response! I tell you what these remind me of,,,they remind me of the old WWII era GE 5 star tubes. Maybe even better than that! What a bargain too! Eight tubes in the set and the seller includes an extra two for doing business with him! I hope some of you MKII and MKIII owners will get a chance to try these. They really are worth your time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!

You building quiet an inventory there Dave. So when are you doing a CLEARANCE SALE?
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #118 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You building quiet an inventory there Dave. So when are you doing a CLEARANCE SALE?
tongue.gif

From the looks of this room, I'd say it can't wait too much longer!
biggrin.gif

And that is just the "matched stuff". I have a box with all the others in it. Sets of 5 and that kind of thing. Eventually, I will and I haven't forgotten about you either, Mullards!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #119 of 659
So excited, my MKII has made it to US Customs!

To those that ordered from David, about how long did it take to arrive once it made it through customs?

Edit: N/M, I see from the review, 'ordered on the 25th, received on the 31st'. Wow, so I could maybe see this thing as early as later this week. Maybe early next week since I live in the midwest vs. Arizona.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #120 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So excited, my MKII has made it to US Customs!

To those that ordered from David, about how long did it take to arrive once it made it through customs?

Edit: N/M, I see from the review, 'ordered on the 25th, received on the 31st'. Wow, so I could maybe see this thing as early as later this week. Maybe early next week since I live in the midwest vs. Arizona.

Hehe! Ya, it fools you though. San Fransisco to Arizona is a LONG ways! If your's clears customs today, you may have it Thursday or Friday. That would be cool!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back