Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Feb 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #136 of 659
This thread is killing me. I want to go tube so bad...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #138 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by iReally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is killing me. I want to go tube so bad...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me too, ive soooooooo coe close to ordering a little dot but have no idea about tube amps or what equipment I would need or if I could just connect it up to my portable sources.

They look sexy as hell tube amps

Just so you guys know, I use my Zune80 hooked up to my MKII all the time. I'm using WMA lossless files on it and usually listen with my HD-580 or 600s.
Sometimes I listen to some older files done at 320, and they are ok too.
I have rolled in some different tubes, but even the stock tubes sound great!
If you are looking for a low cost/high return way into tubes, this is it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #139 of 659
I ordered my MKII yesterday. David sent his 'thank-you-for-your-order' email promptly. The P.S. to the message was...

"P.S. Please do not "burn-in" your Little Dot in marathon sessions and try to limit it to 8 hours at a time. Please also make sure it's in a cool, well-ventilated area when you are doing so."

What is he actually saying? Is there something I need to know about operating this tube amp? Have there been (un)reported mishaps from improper operations? Does this mean you should not drink and use a tube amp? The second part of his comment refers to hot tubes and build up of heat.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #140 of 659
Burn-in : is a process, maturing all components inside your amp by running constant electricity over the circuit. In simple word, many people here tried to burn-in their audio equipment by playing music through their audio equipments 24/7 non stop (usually stop at 100 - 300 hours mark), in your case, David tried to warn you, do not burn in your LD amp constantly non stop, limit 8 hours / day and make sure it's on ventilated area... because Tubes amp is hot & fragile... constant non stop using it will cause some mishap, for example : explode (i'm joking on this one)

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #141 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered my MKII yesterday. David sent his 'thank-you-for-your-order' email promptly. The P.S. to the message was...

"P.S. Please do not "burn-in" your Little Dot in marathon sessions and try to limit it to 8 hours at a time. Please also make sure it's in a cool, well-ventilated area when you are doing so."

What is he actually saying? Is there something I need to know about operating this tube amp? Have there been (un)reported mishaps from improper operations? Does this mean you should not drink and use a tube amp? The second part of his comment refers to hot tubes and build up of heat.

Not that I've ever heard of, and this would be the place to hear about it.
wink.gif

It is a safe practice to give the unit a break and let it cool down after 8 hours and then do another 8 hours and so on. I didn't on mine, because I was writing a review of it at the time, and endurance is always a thing to consider when evaluating. It's a great tube amp, you have nothing to worry about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #142 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so you guys know, I use my Zune80 hooked up to my MKII all the time. I'm using WMA lossless files on it and usually listen with my HD-580 or 600s.
Sometimes I listen to some older files done at 320, and they are ok too.
I have rolled in some different tubes, but even the stock tubes sound great!
If you are looking for a low cost/high return way into tubes, this is it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome stuff, thanks for that, just what I wanted to know.

mmmmmmmmm toooooooooooooobes muhahahaha

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #143 of 659
Hi,

Note: It takes a resistor change in the MKII to be able to use the 6H30PI-EB power tubes for any length of time. Without the resistor change, it will run too hot and cause unknown damage over time. This was found out after many of us had already started testing the newer power tube. Thanks!

Just an update for MKII users. I have been testing the Sovtek NOS 6H30PI-EB power tubes in my MKII. To me, they represent a more defined and deeper bass, better (smoother) mids and improved clarity in the highs. This was in comparison to the Russian 6H6N power tubes used in the original review.

I really like this power tube. As an upgrade, the cost isn't all that bad at $36 a pair plus shipping. Here is the link to that price (with pic of tube): Musicdirect - SOVTEK - 6H30Pi TUBE SUPER LINEAR DUAL TRIODE (EA)

I did test the Electro Harminex 6H30PI Gold power tubes in the MKII. They didn't add anything extra IMHO and do cost a good bit more, so it makes better sense to get the Sovtek NOS tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #144 of 659
Thanks for all the great info. in this thread. Largely because of this thread, I went ahead and picked up a used Little Dot II+ awhile back. (Yes, I know it is not a MKII.) With my Senn 595s, my non-audiophile ears could not be happier. I have been hearing things on CDs I know very well that I had never heard before and enjoying music in a way I have not enjoyed it since I was a teenager. Not bad for less than $150 if you ask me. Is there a better musical bargain out there???

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #145 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyjack2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the great info. in this thread. Largely because of this thread, I went ahead and picked up a used Little Dot II+ awhile back. (Yes, I know it is not a MKII.) With my Senn 595s, my non-audiophile ears could not be happier. I have been hearing things on CDs I know very well that I had never heard before and enjoying music in a way I have not enjoyed it since I was a teenager. Not bad for less than $150 if you ask me. Is there a better musical bargain out there???

The LDII+ was a good unit. Check out some M8161 or CV131 by either Mullard or United Electron when you have the chance, they improve on the stock Ediswan EF92's greatly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #146 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyjack2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only one that comes to mind is the MKIII at $199. It's a lot more amp, better components and tons of tube rolling options. I just got mine and it is a sweet unit!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #148 of 659
I have to say that 90% of my headphone listening is now on the LD MKII. Thanks to Penchum for his outstanding review, I took the plunge into tube amps. I also have an iBasso D1 and find the MKII to be more 'listenable' for certain types of music. I know listenable is not really a word, but certain Jazz and rock tunes are way too forward and bright with the D1. The MKII presents a mellower, less forward presentation. I assume this make sense to anyone that may be reading this.

What I am saying is that the MKII is wonderful to my mid-fi ears. I have purchased some new tubes I plan to use in the future, but I would recommend this tube amp to anyone. Penchum, thanks for your wonderful work. I am having a blast.

The D1 is in no way a useless amp. In fact, it shines as a USB/Dac and does a very good job as a headphone amp. I just happen to really enjoy the sound from the MKII. Anyone on the fence?? Go for it!!

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #149 of 659
Must... resist...urge...to...upgrade... MKII.....

LA LA LA.. I can't hear you.. LA LA LA LA
tongue.gif

Sorry, I'm brand new to tubed amps and absolutely love (LOVE!!) my MKII as is, but as a 'tinkerer', I am curious about tube rolling. So these tubes would replace the bigger tubes, the power tubes, right? Do you have to flip any of the dip switches or is it truly a plug-and-play upgrade?

Super-dumb question, but can anyone explain the difference between what each pair of tubes is actually doing for the sound, front vs. back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Just an update for MKII users. I have been testing the Sovtek NOS 6H30PI-EB power tubes in my MKII. To me, they represent a more defined and deeper bass, better (smoother) mids and improved clarity in the highs. This was in comparison to the Russian 6H6N power tubes used in the original review.

I really like this power tube. As an upgrade, the cost isn't all that bad at $36 a pair plus shipping. Here is the link to that price (with pic of tube): Musicdirect - SOVTEK - 6H30Pi TUBE SUPER LINEAR DUAL TRIODE (EA)

I did test the Electro Harminex 6H30PI Gold power tubes in the MKII. They didn't add anything extra IMHO and do cost a good bit more, so it makes better sense to get the Sovtek NOS tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #150 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but to be fair you have all the Little Dot amps now, don't you?
wink.gif

All that I'm going to get, except maybe the balanced amp when it comes out. I don't have the MKIV standard. It kinda seemed pointless to get that one.
smily_headphones1.gif

To be totally fair, there is nothing negative about the MKII or MKIII. The MKII benefits from being the last one in the MK lineup, to be produced. That gives it a whole years worth of design changes and knowledge, the other MK series amps do not have. So, it is an overachiever. I just love mine and listen too it much more than I thought I would.
smily_headphones1.gif
It is so much more than just a "beginners" amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back