Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #151 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must... resist...urge...to...upgrade... MKII.....

LA LA LA.. I can't hear you.. LA LA LA LA
tongue.gif

Sorry, I'm brand new to tubed amps and absolutely love (LOVE!!) my MKII as is, but as a 'tinkerer', I am curious about tube rolling. So these tubes would replace the bigger tubes, the power tubes, right? Do you have to flip any of the dip switches or is it truly a plug-and-play upgrade?

Super-dumb question, but can anyone explain the difference between what each pair of tubes is actually doing for the sound, front vs. back?

Hehehe!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #152 of 659
I'm posting this, just in case someone missed the posts about changing the power tubes in the MKII & MKIII headphone amps.

In order to change from the 6H6N-PI to the 6H30PI-EB power tubes, you MUST change out two resistors inside. The installed resistors are 64ohm and the ones to replace them with are 120ohms. If the change is not done, the tubes will run too hot and cause heat damage over time.

PM me if you are thinking about doing this mod, and I'll try to help as much as I can. Thanks!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #153 of 659
Has someone connected the Little-Dot MKII to a Keces DA-151 dac?
smily_headphones1.gif
Thinking of buying that dac to pair with the MKII.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #154 of 659
I regret my asking this question rather than wading through the multiple posts on this forum which -- just may -- already provide me my answer. Please excuse me. Does anyone have a recommendation where I can currently purchase this Little-Dot MKII amplifier? I reside in the United States. Thanks in advance.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #155 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I regret my asking this question rather than wading through the multiple posts on this forum which -- just may -- already provide me my answer. Please excuse me. Does anyone have a recommendation where I can currently purchase this Little-Dot MKII amplifier? I reside in the United States. Thanks in advance.

I looks like they sold all the ebay listings out. Go here: Viewing a forum - Little Dot Headphone Amplifier and follow the purchasing information link. There will be info and a link on each model there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #156 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looks like they sold all the ebay listings out. Go here: Viewing a forum - Little Dot Headphone Amplifier and follow the purchasing information link. There will be info and a link on each model there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!

Penchum: Many thanks for the quick response, which is seemingly a currently viable one. Before I order -- and this again to save my wading through the thread at this particular time (I DO intend eventually to read the whole thing at leisure) -- is the additional tube set offered with it (2x 6JI, 2x 6N6) something you would recommend, or already have? Again, thanks and regards, Jim

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #157 of 659
Quote:

Penchum: Many thanks for the quick response, which is seemingly a currently viable one. Before I order -- and this again to save my wading through the thread at this particular time (I DO intend eventually to read the whole thing at leisure) -- is the additional tube set offered with it (2x 6JI, 2x 6N6) something you would recommend, or already have? Again, thanks and regards, Jim

In this case, with the MKII, I'd hold off and buy some NOS (New Old Stock) tubes after it arrives. The power tubes (large in rear) it comes with are 6H6N Russian made tubes. An upgrade to them is the 6H6N-PI Russian tube, which many Little-Dot owners have bought in lots of 8 or 10 and I'm sure they would sell a pair really cheap. The driver tubes (small in front) are ok, but no where near the quality sound makers you could pick up for very little cash.

I always recommend to new owners, that they run their new amp for 100hrs with the stock tubes. This does two things. First, it lets you hear just how much the amp and the tubes change with some time under their belts, and second, it gives you a reference point (sound) so that when you try other tubes, it is easier to compare them with the reference you are more than familiar with, in your head.

There are many excellent driver tubes in the EF92 and EF95 tube families. Many users here can help with tubes, so don't worry. You'll be joining the Little-Dot Family and everyone is in it for the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #158 of 659
Quote:

In this case, with the MKII, I'd hold off and buy some NOS (New Old Stock) tubes after it arrives. The power tubes (large in rear) it comes with are 6H6N Russian made tubes. An upgrade to them is the 6H6N-PI Russian tube, which many Little-Dot owners have bought in lots of 8 or 10 and I'm sure they would sell a pair really cheap. The driver tubes (small in front) are ok, but no where near the quality sound makers you could pick up for very little cash.

I always recommend to new owners, that they run their new amp for 100hrs with the stock tubes. This does two things. First, it lets you hear just how much the amp and the tubes change with some time under their belts, and second, it gives you a reference point (sound) so that when you try other tubes, it is easier to compare them with the reference you are more than familiar with, in your head.

There are many excellent driver tubes in the EF92 and EF95 tube families. Many users here can help with tubes, so don't worry. You'll be joining the Little-Dot Family and everyone is in it for the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Peachum: Again, thanks. But I'll risk burdening you with two more things before I let you go back about your business, as if you'd never heard from me! -- A question, and some explanation about why I'm proceeding as I am.

The question: With all this talk in the forum about burning in of amps -- how do you recommend doing it?

Second, I migrated to this forum from the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet forum, where we've been in the throes of trying to get a digital audio signal from the N800's USB port (which is an OTG (slave?)) port, but as the N800 has a Linux operating system, it's been possible to effect an internal switch to convert it as needed to a Host USB port.

I came upon your forum in furthering our Nokia forum's quest for possibly some illumination which might be found there on how we could further proceed, and along the way I thus became fascinated by it. As I myself listen to much classical music with CD's converted to the flac format on my iAudio7, I was quickly immersed in myriad threads of interest and consequence to me. (But we still haven't yet found a way to get the N800 to deliver digital music through it's Host-converted USB port!)

Anyway, in my readings of various of your forum's threads (and especially of your own very detailed and persuasive reviews and other comments) I of course became aware of the Little Dot MKII (along with the Zero dac/amp). And today I attended your forum's regional meet here in Seattle, met some very interesting and pleasant people, but perhaps of even greater importance to me at this time -- I was able to try out the Little Dot MKII on the spot, with my own Sennheiser headphones and my flac-loaded iAudio7. (I believe it was member Joshatdot who had the MKII there.) I tried other amps as well, but I was so impressed with the MKII that I came home, got on the net and this forum, and hence my query to you and intent to buy. (And I will read your full review thread, but I have trouble on my two computer screens as the text doesn't fit within the margins, which is a circumstance that makes reading such a long thread difficult, and which I have not yet been able to remedy).

So, there you have it -- for what it's worth. I'll hold off in possibly getting the Zero -- the cart before the horse? -- until I get myself a digital audio signal from somewhere. As I understand it, the Zero doesn't have a USB digital line out, so I can't use my laptop.)

Again thanks and regards, Jim

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #159 of 659
Quote:

Peachum: Again, thanks. But I'll risk burdening you with two more things before I let you go back about your business, as if you'd never heard from me! -- A question, and some explanation about why I'm proceeding as I am.

The question: With all this talk in the forum about burning in of amps -- how do you recommend doing it?

Second, I migrated to this forum from the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet forum, where we've been in the throes of trying to get a digital audio signal from the N800's USB port (which is an OTG (slave?)) port, but as the N800 has a Linux operating system, it's been possible to effect an internal switch to convert it as needed to a Host USB port.

I came upon your forum in furthering our Nokia forum's quest for possibly some illumination which might be found there on how we could further proceed, and along the way I thus became fascinated by it. As I myself listen to much classical music with CD's converted to the flac format on my iAudio7, I was quickly immersed in myriad threads of interest and consequence to me. (But we still haven't yet found a way to get the N800 to deliver digital music through it's Host-converted USB port!)

Anyway, in my readings of various of your forum's threads (and especially of your own very detailed and persuasive reviews and other comments) I of course became aware of the Little Dot MKII (along with the Zero dac/amp). And today I attended your forum's regional meet here in Seattle, met some very interesting and pleasant people, but perhaps of even greater importance to me at this time -- I was able to try out the Little Dot MKII on the spot, with my own Sennheiser headphones and my flac-loaded iAudio7. (I believe it was member Joshatdot who had the MKII there.) I tried other amps as well, but I was so impressed with the MKII that I came home, got on the net and this forum, and hence my query to you and intent to buy. (And I will read your full review thread, but I have trouble on my two computer screens as the text doesn't fit within the margins, which is a circumstance that makes reading such a long thread difficult, and which I have not yet been able to remedy).

So, there you have it -- for what it's worth. I'll hold off in possibly getting the Zero -- the cart before the horse? -- until I get myself a digital audio signal from somewhere. As I understand it, the Zero doesn't have a USB digital line out, so I can't use my laptop.)

Again thanks and regards, Jim

Well, I'm not an expert on the USB side of things, but I have heard about several small devices that are USB sound cards that output SPDIF/Optical, so you could run an optical line to the Zero. Turtle Beach makes one I think, and there are others on eBay. So that might work out nice. Whether Linux has the drivers or not for such a device, I just don't know. But, over in the Computer as a source forum, I'm sure the answer is there. Lots of Linux users over there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Burning in tube amps can be very simple. All you need to do is run a signal through it to your headphones. Play anything you like. Listen if you want too. It doesn't really matter the method, only that the amp is amplifying a signal and time goes by. Most do it in less than 8 hour sessions (to keep the temp down), let it cool to room temp, then start another session. A couple of weeks later and your tube amp sounds way better than it did out of the box and big smiles are everywhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #160 of 659
Quote:

I'm posting this, just in case someone missed the posts about changing the power tubes in the MKII & MKIII headphone amps.

In order to change from the 6H6N-PI to the 6H30PI-EB power tubes, you MUST change out two resistors inside. The installed resistors are 64ohm and the ones to replace them with are 120ohms. If the change is not done, the tubes will run too hot and cause heat damage over time.

PM me if you are thinking about doing this mod, and I'll try to help as much as I can. Thanks!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that I have completed the resistor mod to my MKII, so I'm using the 6H30PI NOS power tubes now. While this is an improvement, I don't recommend it for everyone. It takes some skill to get done and I wouldn't want anyone to mess up their nice MKII because I did mine.
biggrin.gif
There is some talk of the mod over in the MKIII tube rolling thread and the Little-Dot Family threads. See ya!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #162 of 659
OK, this thing is insane.
It arrived earlier today and I can't stop listening. It makes my Creek sound like my old $22 Behringer HA400 amp (can I even call that an amp?)

My K501s - This must be what God's voice sounds like.

My ad700 has suddenly become a master of details and sublimely delivers any female vocal.

My DR150s, which sound harsh and too analytic out of my Creek, now sound perfect and are my second favorites after my 501s even though they are even more detailed. And is that a bit of soundstage? Out of my DR150 rock cans?
biggrin.gif

Tubes are not even burned in yet and I am in heaven.

Can't wait for my RCA NOS 5654 tubes to arrive. This thing can actually get better?

Ebay is calling my Creek....

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #164 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, this thing is insane.
It arrived earlier today and I can't stop listening. It makes my Creek sound like my old $22 Behringer HA400 amp (can I even call that an amp?)

My K501s - This must be what God's voice sounds like.

My ad700 has suddenly become a master of details and sublimely delivers any female vocal.

My DR150s, which sound harsh and too analytic out of my Creek, now sound perfect and are my second favorites after my 501s even though they are even more detailed. And is that a bit of soundstage? Out of my DR150 rock cans?
biggrin.gif

Tubes are not even burned in yet and I am in heaven.

Can't wait for my RCA NOS 5654 tubes to arrive. This thing can actually get better?

Ebay is calling my Creek....

Congratulations! You will find the MKII "matures" at less than 100hrs. The tubes usually take 40-60 hours to mature. Yes indeed, it just gets better from here! If you can find enough patience, burn-in the MKII with the original tubes in it. At 100hrs or so, it will be done changing and you'll have the stock sound as a familiar reference. After that, tube roll all you want. You'll notice the changes from tube rolling immediately and as you burn-in the rolled in tubes, they will sound even better once they have had their 40-60 hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the addiction!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #165 of 659
Quote:

Congratulations! You will find the MKII "matures" at less than 100hrs. The tubes usually take 40-60 hours to mature. Yes indeed, it just gets better from here! If you can find enough patience, burn-in the MKII with the original tubes in it. At 100hrs or so, it will be done changing and you'll have the stock sound as a familiar reference. After that, tube roll all you want. You'll notice the changes from tube rolling immediately and as you burn-in the rolled in tubes, they will sound even better once they have had their 40-60 hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the addiction!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks. I will take your advice on not switching tubes before burn in. Its not like the stock sound bad or anything.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back