Review of the DIY 6H6N to E182CC/5687 Tube Adapters (BullPlugs) For LD MKII & MKIII Headphone Amplifiers
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #16 of 57
I recently purchased these tubes for my MKII: 6N6P / ECC99 / E182CC Double Triode Tubes. Am I correct based upon this thread that these are not compatible with my amp. Sorry, just a little confused. Should I have purchased the 6N6P-I.

Rick

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by webghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi everyone,

my set of "bulldapters" is finished but i cant listen with them yet - i´ve got no 5687 tubes at this time
frown.gif

best greets from Austria
Stefan

Nice job !!!

What material did you use for the spacer ?

Regards,

Peete.

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickrod63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased these tubes for my MKII: 6N6P / ECC99 / E182CC Double Triode Tubes. Am I correct based upon this thread that these are not compatible with my amp. Sorry, just a little confused. Should I have purchased the 6N6P-I.

Rick

I believe you have correct tube for the Mk II. The Mk III uses the 6H6PI variety.

Regards,

Peete.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you have correct tube for the Mk II. The Mk III uses the 6H6PI variety.

Regards,

Peete.

Hi Guys! The 6H6N, 6H6PI, 6H30EB, 6H30PI, 6H30PI-DR, can be used on the MKII and MKIII. Which is totally cool. Love those 6H30's bigtime!
biggrin.gif

Rick, post up the ebay link so I can see the exact auction, and I'll tell you for sure if it's the right thing, OK?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

hi everyone,

my set of "bulldapters" is finished but i cant listen with them yet - i´ve got no 5687 tubes at this time
frown.gif

best greets from Austria
Stefan

I keep looking at his pics of his version of the BullPlugs and wondering, "where the heck are the wires stored?". Maybe them babies are crammed in there somehow.
smily_headphones1.gif

I Love that shot of all the tubes, with those M8161's and their Shield, standing out front. Very cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice job !!!

What material did you use for the spacer ?

Regards,

Peete.

hi Peete,

i´ve used an old stainless steel pipe which is polished by a "dremel".

greets
Stefan

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep looking at his pics of his version of the BullPlugs and wondering, "where the heck are the wires stored?". Maybe them babies are crammed in there somehow.
smily_headphones1.gif

I Love that shot of all the tubes, with those M8161's and their Shield, standing out front. Very cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

there is more then enough space for the wires, at first i soldered the socket to the "pins" and than put the spacer (pipe) over.
I´ve an (not very good) picture of it on my mobile phone, i´ll put it in soon.

greets
Stefan

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #23 of 57
Rick, post up the ebay link so I can see the exact auction, and I'll tell you for sure if it's the right thing, OK?

Penchum,

Here is the Ebay listing, I have a MKII. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link.

6N6P / ECC99 / E182CC Double Triode Tubes. Lot of 8.
Item number: 300176478457

Thanks for your help, Rick

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Penchum,

Here is the Ebay listing, I have a MKII. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link.

6N6P / ECC99 / E182CC Double Triode Tubes. Lot of 8.
Item number: 300176478457

Thanks for your help, Rick

No problem! Those appear to be 6H6N, which is the direct replacement for the Chinese 6N6 that came with your MKII. They will work, and will sound better than the 6N6. The "PI" version does sound even better, sometimes labeled as 6H6N-N (last N is backwards) and usually cost about the same.

So, it's not a total loss or anything.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe you could upgrade later to the much improved Russian NOS 6H30-PI. That would cost more (about $22 each), but would give you seriously improved sound. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

there is more then enough space for the wires, at first i soldered the socket to the "pins" and than put the spacer (pipe) over.
I´ve an (not very good) picture of it on my mobile phone, i´ll put it in soon.

greets
Stefan

Great! Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #26 of 57
A quick (fuzzy) pic of the Bullplugs inside the tube rails on my MKIVse.
smily_headphones1.gif

DSCF0568_resize.jpg

Now I just have to find out if it's ok to do or not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #27 of 57
Looks Cool P! There shouldn't be an issue what-so-ever. The copper shell acts only as an additional shield with no potential to ground or short. I like how the socket comes right to the top of the tube guard, like I built them "to measure"!

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks Cool P! There shouldn't be an issue what-so-ever. The copper shell acts only as an additional shield with no potential to ground or short. I like how the socket comes right to the top of the tube guard, like I built them "to measure"!

Thanks! It does look pretty nice.
smily_headphones1.gif
When are you going to "plunk down" the cash for a MKIVse? They will stop making them soon ya know!
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #29 of 57
How's the Arcturus/6CQ6 combo sound there?

Much as I'm sure I'd enjoy the IVse, it's not in the cards I'm afraid. Gotta start getting serious about a move out of state planned for this year.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the Arcturus/6CQ6 combo sound there?

Much as I'm sure I'd enjoy the IVse, it's not in the cards I'm afraid. Gotta start getting serious about a move out of state planned for this year.

It was a great combo to listen too. Very full and rich.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back