Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Jul 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #648 of 1,252

Quote:
I decided to change the jumper position from default location closer toward front panel to achieve 4x oversampling (contrary to what have been posted in this thread). The jumper position was determined by Analog Device AD1852 data sheet and PCB tracing with multimeter.

Could you elaborate on this?  There was a PIC and explanation a few pages back.  Are you saying that was incorrect?  I'm confused by your wording.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #649 of 1,252

Quote:

Could you elaborate on this?  There was a PIC and explanation a few pages back.  Are you saying that was incorrect?  I'm confused by your wording.

The pic about the settings was actually done by me. It was based on my reading of the AD1852 datasheet and observing the chip's orientation itself on the module. I could be wrong though but I found that sonically, the position that I set as in the PIC is much more satisfactory. PErhaps we should all ask Kingwa as to which is actually the correct setting then?

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #650 of 1,252
les_garten and rhythmic_impulse,

I identified two pins for sample rate selection (2x/192kHz and 4x/96kHz) in AD1852 data sheet. Using ohm meter I traced all connections between the two pins and jumper block in PCB of DA1852 DAC module (removed from FUN). Note that trace layouts on PCB do not always correspond directly to relative orientations of components (particularly for double-sided PCB). Sample rate selection is done by asserting logic high voltage at either pins (pulled up to 5V supply voltage). That was how I determine that 4x/96kHz sample rate is preferred over 2x/192kHz sample rate. Ultimately only Kingwa can confirm on the jumper setting as the DA1852 module is designed by him. Alternatively you can always use your ear to determine which is a better jumper position to reduce harsh/sibilant high-end regardless of jumper position (a more pragmatic approach to me).

Currawong,

Thank you for the suggestion to use OPA627 to replace OPA-Earth for tube sound instead of using tube buffer. I have limited experience in opamp rolling and had no idea which opamp can achieve the same effect as tube buffer and the tube buffer has already been purchased anyway. I missed tube sound (particularly vocal presentation in mid frequencies) ever since I sold my hybrid headphone amplifier. The tube buffer allows me to customize sound signature further according to my preference and other's experience.

Yesterday I swapped DA8740 module for DA1852 module (with jumper moved toward front panel) to prepare for tube buffer integration. To my surprise, high-end response dose not sound harsh/sibilant through headphone output of FUN and Denon D5000 anymore. Conclusion is FUN needs a long time to settle down, make sure it is fully burned in before making any change in hardware and jumper setting (sample rate selection) in DA1852 DAC module does help in reducing sibilance (first thing to try before other options and I suppose that's why muad has been advocating).

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #651 of 1,252

Quote:
thanks peete! Any impressions on the sound? Or will that come later?

My problem is I can't quite recall what the stock config sounded like. Right now it's very smooth, yet extended and controlled, deep bass, nice mids, smooth treble and very black. Really quick when called upon with decay that goes on for as long as the signal is audible (fades into the black). If I had to guess I'd say the 5 or 6 bucks worth of parts used is well worth the hour or so it takes to do the mods. Hopefully at the next mini meet someone else with a have a stock fun to compare against, that way I'll be better able to judge. I know the last meet I attended a lot of folks were impressed with the stock A config FUN with a couple of folks wishing to buy one.

Peete.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #652 of 1,252
I just got hold of a used Sennheiser HD650 recently and tried it with the FUN. I used to feel the FUN sounded a bit harsh on the HD600. Now it sounded like the FUN and HD650 have good synergy in that it sounded much more better and smoother and the sonics as reproduced through the HD650 has depth, clarity and balanced. Timbre textures sounded more realistic. There's a bit of graininess at the upper treble region but this is probably due to my transport set-up. It will be interesting to test the Audio-Gd Digital Interface with my set-up. The description of it seems to indicate that the DSP-3 has the ability to clean up the digital signal and/or minimise the effects of the cables.

I should also point out that at the same setting on the volume pot (around 10 to 11 o'clock), the HD650 sounded much louder than the HD600.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #653 of 1,252
I have a question to Fun users.
Is there an option to connect to this unit active speakers (via pre out), speaker integrated amp (via dac out), headphones (via hp out) at one time and switch between them using just selectors?
I know that I could switch between hp and pre out using line-in button , but how to activate dac-out as second output. AFAIR compass had this ability.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #654 of 1,252

Quote:
I have a question to Fun users.
Is there an option to connect to this unit active speakers (via pre out), speaker integrated amp (via dac out), headphones (via hp out) at one time and switch between them using just selectors?
I know that I could switch between hp and pre out using line-in button , but how to activate dac-out as second output. AFAIR compass had this ability.

I think only one output at a time can be selected/used/monitored at any given time, then again most gear (line level preamps/integrated amps) behave in this fashion unless the gear has a tape/effects loop and secondary monitoring circuitry/functionality. There is only so much room under the hood of the FUN. Signal routing without a separate loop makes using 2 outputs simultaneously impossible as I sit here thinking about it....I could be wrong however (having not tested the FUN in this manner ).

Peete.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #655 of 1,252
Maybe I haven't made myself clear. I don't want to send signal to more than one unit at one time, I just want to have them connected via dac out / pre out / hp out and switch easly.
I would like to connect to FUN Audioengine A2, D2000 and Integrated amp and just switch between them without messing with the cables. Is it possible? I've already send an e-mail to Kingwa, maybe (i mean for sure) he will know the answer.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #656 of 1,252
Sorry for my misunderstanding your original question...with your request now understood by yours truly (of thick skull 
bigsmile_face.gif
and terrible spelling) it should work rather well.

Peete.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #658 of 1,252
I received, with my Sparrow, a 24/96 USB module to try. I pulled the Fun out of my speaker rig to compare it to the original with headphones, and while the difference wasn't large, the 24/96 module seems to be a tad smoother/less harsh.  I think the overall AD1852/DIR9001/Earth combo is, overall, a bit harsh at this level with bright cans.  I understand why now many manufacturers of low-end gear tend to make their amps and the like a bit rolled-off, such as by using the WM8740 and/or through the design of the output stage, as it masks this.  I haven't played with the "soft" setting jumpers in the Fun this time, but if they behave like they did in the Compass, engaging them gives quite subtle results that might be worth trying if harshness is a problem.  I recall Zanth saying, about the Compass, that he enjoyed using it at work with the most rolled-off soft setting, as it was very relaxing to listen with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back