Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Aug 8, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #826 of 847
Just wanted to find out if the IV/IVSE is really that much better than the III. I have $200 to spend on an amp, but would be willing to fork out more if it is truly worth it.

For reference my setup will be MBP----> HeadRoom Portable Micro Amp with DAC (using the line out)--->(LD III/IV)--->D5000

Current Prices are $195 for the III, $289 for the IV and $389 for the IVSE

So basically, If I can get 90% of the IVSE performance  with the III for half the price, that's the way I'll be heading.

Edit: I guess its also worth mentioning that if I get the III I still have cash left over to get some Markl mods done to my D5000 (chasing tighter bass, forward mids, cleaner highs)...

Thanks
Phil

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #827 of 847
Just a few comments on my new Little Dot MKIV. I upgraded from a Fiio E7/E9 combo to Musical Fidelity V-DAC/V-PSU with the Fiio E9, and then replaced the E9 with the Little Dot MKIV. I have been using the LD for nearly 3 weeks now. My source is a MBP using optical out to the V-DAC.

I have used the LD with Fischer Audio FA-003 and FA-011 (now sold these) and later this week I should have a pair of Sennheiser HD558 to try with the LD.

So what do I think.

One word. Marvellous. Sounds, looks and build quality are excellent. David at LD was superb to deal with too.

Since I have had the amp, it was excellent from day 1, but today it suddenly changed into something sounding more delightful. Bass, midrange and treble are so clear, involving and dynamic. This amp is the best purchase I have ever made.

My wife who doesn't care for specs, also finds the amp a pleasure to listen too. She also likes the aesthetics in our lounge.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #828 of 847
I just bought a LD MK IV SE and i have the new version that is hard wired for the M8100.

any suggestions on some tubes?

i was looking at these for power tubes based on the review: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-matched-1950s-Tung-Sol-5687-tubes-Black-Plates-Top-Fat-D-Getter-/270843060314?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f0f81205a

and these for driver tubes: http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Western-Electric-6AK5-403B-EF95-Little-Dot-Amp-Tubes-2/16230112

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #829 of 847
I just got this amplifier, used, and I have a slight problem.   It sorts of hisses...or buzzes.  But the thing is, I'm not sure whether its the amps fault or its my source.  I'm using Asus Xonar D2X sound card as a source. 
I know its well known that Mk5 hisses with some low impedance headphones, however, I'm using HD650's, and they arent low impedance.  The hiss is present even when volume control is completely turned off, and its very silent, but audible,  and it gradually increases as the volume knob is turned up. It becomes very noticeable when its turned all the way up.   However,  when I unplug the input RCA's,  hiss is gone. Completely dead silent, even on full volume.  All i hear is a very silent "click" when powering on the amp, then a usual click from the amp unit itself, and after that its silent.

So, my question is, is it possible that the hissing I hear doesnt come from the amp, but from the source?  Because I have another amplifier which doesnt produce the same hiss when its connected to the soundcard.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #830 of 847
Do you have another source and pair of RCAs to try with the LDMKIV? If so, you should start there.

There also are gain switches inside the amp (see manual) that you can try adjusting.

Not exactly the same issue, but I can tell you that my higher sensitivity headphones don't pair well with the LDMKIV. I'm thinking in particular of my ATH-M50s and Ultimate Ears IEMs. Very noisy. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #831 of 847

Quote:
Do you have another source and pair of RCAs to try with the LDMKIV? If so, you should start there.

There also are gain switches inside the amp (see manual) that you can try adjusting.

Not exactly the same issue, but I can tell you that my higher sensitivity headphones don't pair well with the LDMKIV. I'm thinking in particular of my ATH-M50s and Ultimate Ears IEMs. Very noisy. 

I have tried with different RCA cables, some really cheap ones, and some pretty expensive ones, same thing, although the hiss is less apparent with cheaper cables.  I also tried various headphones, hissing is identical is both my 30 Ohm headphones and 300 Ohm ones.
I sadly have no other source I could use now...maybe a DVD player...hmm...

Anyway,  one more thing I noticed, when I shut down the PC, and RCA cables are connected and amp turned on,   hissing disappears as the PC turns off.  In addition, when I turn the PC on,  hissing appears again,  and it changes as the PC turns on, it becomes higher and lower in frequency as the system is firing up. It is especially apparent when all coolers (especially the one on graphics card) start rotating very fast for a second or two.   Which leads me to believe that the problem is somewhere in the PC.

By the way, is there a place where I could download a manual of this amp?  I don't have it, i bought a used unit and didn't get any papers with it.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #832 of 847
Sounds like your computer is the source of your interference. My experience with computer audio is limited to Apple products -- via wireless streaming or toslink out to an external DAC.

As for the manual, I don't have an electronic copy. If you turn over the LDMKIV, there are a couple of holes near the front. Look in there and you will see two pairs of red DIP switches. Using a small tool:

Switch 1 off Switch 2 off for a Gain of 10
Switch 1 on Switch 2 off for a Gain of 5
Switch 1 off Switch 2 on for a Gain of 4
Switch 1 on Switch 2 on for a Gain of 3

I would try Gain of 3 and see if that reduces your noise floor. If its currently set to 3 (LD's factory gain setting) raise it to 10. 

If you haven't already done so, hook up your DVD player or other source (no iPod?) and see if the noise persists. If it doesn't, then at least you can focus your trouble shooting on the PC>RCA>LD chain.

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #834 of 847
I'm new to this and I have B&O H6, which have a flat bass. Would this Little dot make them sound awesome, but H6 has only 30 ohm. This review made it sound really something to try.

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #835 of 847
A few years ago I used to own a Little Dot MK myself. Back in 2010, to be precise.

I was pretty hyped when I ordered it for a portable solution for my first pair of Senns HD800. However, when I received it and tried it out, there was this weird channel imbalance present, and that really threw me off. It wasn't anything really drastic, but it was noticeable enough to be audible and mildly irritating.

Have the engineers of Little Dot fixed that in the current versions?

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #836 of 847
  A few years ago I used to own a Little Dot MK myself. Back in 2010, to be precise.

I was pretty hyped when I ordered it for a portable solution for my first pair of Senns HD800. However, when I received it and tried it out, there was this weird channel imbalance present, and that really threw me off. It wasn't anything really drastic, but it was noticeable enough to be audible and mildly irritating.

Have the engineers of Little Dot fixed that in the current versions?

Sometimes its the tubes sometimes its the amp for my part ive had an mk3 for several years with no problems and friends of mine also have MK4 and MK4SE and i will probably by an extra one soon just in case it does kick the bucket one day i love this little amp and all its tube rolling possibilys check out page 77 and page 1 for the regular tubes but the better sounding tubes are on page 77 of the Littledot tube rolling guide for cheap, heres the link i use Senns also with my amp and it sounds great  for the price and the tubes on page 77 are compatible with several Littledot models: the LD1+,MK2+, MK3,MK4 AND MK4 SE. So its tempting lol here's the link.   its post #1154      have fun .                                                                                                               
       http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1140

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #837 of 847
I currently have a Martix M which I have been very impressed with. As well as using Q701s I am also using the Matrix to drive a Golden Tubes Audio power amp. The sound is impressive and the two inputs useful.
However, im itching to try a valve pre amp with the power amp.
I can either look for a dedicated pre amp or go for a 1Vse.
anyone have experience of the Martrix and LD. Am I likely to get a different sound or an improved one? Im aiming for a smooth sound with exceptional imaging. I listen to a range of music from dance to acoustic/ voice. Thanks.

May 17, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #838 of 847
Hi Guys,

I have read all the three reviews about little dot mk II, III, IV. From reviews it looks like all are very good amps. My question is, what is the best amp for the price, and that could be tuned well after tube rolling in future for a beginner like myself. Their specs are almost the same either. What else is comparable to little dot? I have seen tons of Chinese amps on ebay that I don't trust since they don't have any review.

Kindly suggest before I can make an order. Which one would serve me for an year or two?

Thanks

May 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #839 of 847
  Hi Guys,

I have read all the three reviews about little dot mk II, III, IV. From reviews it looks like all are very good amps. My question is, what is the best amp for the price, and that could be tuned well after tube rolling in future for a beginner like myself. Their specs are almost the same either. What else is comparable to little dot? I have seen tons of Chinese amps on ebay that I don't trust since they don't have any review.

Kindly suggest before I can make an order. Which one would serve me for an year or two?

Thanks

What headphones are you using? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back