Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Jan 25, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #631 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do look intriguing but you're looking at $1000+ for a DSP-1 DAC-19 and a C-2 with audio-gd discrete OPA which gives them a lot more competition, especially if one looks used. Then again there aren't a lot of half-rack pieces available in general on the audio market. I look forward to seeing some comments on these. New thread(s) needed for sure!

You don't need the discrete OPA if you buy them together, as the ACSS connection bypasses the opamps, giving the advantage of all amplification being entirely in the current domain.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #633 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need the discrete OPA if you buy them together, as the ACSS connection bypasses the opamps, giving the advantage of all amplification being entirely in the current domain.

lol OK take $25-30 off
rolleyes.gif
such a huge amount out of ~$1000+! That doesn't magically put the set in a different price bracket. Not to mention that if you use an analog source with the C-2 as a headphone amp or preamp you might want the discrete OPA.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #634 of 695
Quote:

lol OK take $25-30 off
rolleyes.gif
such a huge amount out of ~$1000+! That doesn't magically put the set in a different price bracket. Not to mention that if you use an analog source with the C-2 as a headphone amp or preamp you might want the discrete OPA.

Should you have thought otherwise, I wasn't suggesting anything about price brackets. Just thought I'd clarify that. Just that I'm sure people wont realise that the OPAMPs are bypassed when using ACSS. The majority of people aren't very technically-minded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #635 of 695
Quote:

Should you have thought otherwise, I wasn't suggesting anything about price brackets. Just thought I'd clarify that. Just that I'm sure people wont realise that the OPAMPs are bypassed when using ACSS. The majority of people aren't very technically-minded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wouldn't that be a matter of reading comprehension instead of being technically minded?
wink.gif
It clearly says so on Audio-GD's site.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #636 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also disabled the dithering, because I felt I had more low level details with dithering off. It is weird that you heard the same effect on the DSP1.

Yes, it is puzzling.

I need more investigation on the effect of different data word lengths on DSP-1 dithering. There is a chance I've missed something crucial there. I will postpone my definite judgment on this because of that.

Quote:

They do look intriguing but you're looking at $1000+ for a DSP-1 DAC-19 and a C-2 with audio-gd discrete OPA which gives them a lot more competition, especially if one looks used.

$1K whereabout it is. Not small amount for average headphone lover. Still I think one of the best DAC/headamp combos you get around this amount.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #638 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the ACSS would bypass the OPA. I could hear the differences of OPA, Sun and Earth.

With the new C2? Set up how exactly?

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #639 of 695
Quote:

With the new C2? Set up how exactly?

Oops! I misunderstood something. The ACSS input of C2 will bypass the OPA, there is no need for a OPA if you connect to a ACSS output of a DAC.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #640 of 695
Yup..... IIRC without reading the page again it treats the ACSS stage of both units as one basically speaking, cutting out the extraneous or redundant parts of the DAC circuit for a purer "direct mode" pathway to the amp ACSS stages. This way there is only one conversion from I/V in the C2 output stages. I think I have the explanation right from what I understand of the description from the web page.

Peete.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #642 of 695
I've tried searching and have come up with nothing... But what exactly does the DSP-1 do? and what are benefits/drawbacks of applying it?

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #643 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried searching and have come up with nothing... But what exactly does the DSP-1 do? and what are benefits/drawbacks of applying it?

The DSP-1 is a digital fitler (like the PMD100 and DF1704) that does the oversampling/filtering before sending the data to the the dac chip (pcm1704uk). According to Kingwa it is a much better digital filter than the pmd100 and df1704 but I haven't tried it so I can only speculate about its performance. It is too bad that the DSP module is not compatible with the old dac19mk3 or else I would have ordered one to try and compare to the other digital filters.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #644 of 695
Quote:

The DSP-1 is a digital fitler (like the PMD100 and DF1704) that does the oversampling/filtering before sending the data to the the dac chip (pcm1704uk). According to Kingwa it is a much better digital filter than the pmd100 and df1704 but I haven't tried it so I can only speculate about its performance. It is too bad that the DSP module is not compatible with the old dac19mk3 or else I would have ordered one to try and compare to the other digital filters.

The problem is the DSP-1 doesn't decode HDCD, so its not an apples to apples comparison. The older gurus pretty mostlyprefer the older chips to DSP based chips.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #645 of 695
Quote:

Funny thing, I already asked Kingwa the same question yesterday and obviously I got the same answer.

Looking however at the internals, I noticed some changes (besides the DSP1 module) that are probably improvements over the dac19MK3.

The main thing that strikes me is the fact that he seems to have added a clock near the digital receiver in his new designs (including the audio-gd FUN see here).
I was always curious why the DIR9001 wasn't slaved to a low jitter clock (I believe I mentioned it earlier in this thread) but he seems to have adressed that issue.

:

Has anyone found out what the clock is doing in the MK4? I know you can't slave a DIR9001 because it will get out of time with the transport. Is he reclocking or is this a PLL like tent labs? Is the clock present on the DF1704 boards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back