Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Mar 13, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #676 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by soberspine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is anything that you don't like about the dac? just curious.
happy_face1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not yet, but honestly, im too busy listening to this beast to think up anymore impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had the dac19mk3 for a few months and I haven't found out anything to dislike about it
biggrin.gif

I have put back the PMD100 module yesterday and it is amazing how "anolog like" this DAC sounds.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #677 of 695
If I had a complaint about the dac19mk3 it is that it is surprisingly sensitive to transport so I feel sorry for people who just plug and play on the computer, but that is probably much less of a problem with the dac19DSP version. Love everything else about the dac, can swap between digital filters for different sounds.

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #678 of 695
hmm mkIV now... Must be frustrating to buy these dacs and they get obsolete so quickly. I am tempted anyway. Anyone here heard this and the Keces 131 mk 2?

Is it a good match for the Pro 900 haloxt?

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #679 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm mkIV now... Must be frustrating to buy these dacs and they get obsolete so quickly. I am tempted anyway. Anyone here heard this and the Keces 131 mk 2?

Is it a good match for the Pro 900 haloxt?

Personally, I don't think that the dac19mk3 became obsolete because it was discontinued
o2smile.gif
Kingwa told me he had to discontinue the dac19mk3 because he had to change the usb chip (discontinued) and because the PMD100 was becoming more and more difficult to find.

There are well respected head-fiers (like regal) that will tell you that the old PMD100 is better than most DSP digital filters ... So for those who need HDCD decoding, the mkiV is actually a downgrade
biggrin.gif

As for the comparison with the Keces 131 mk 2, I honestly think they are not in the same category. Looking at the design and choice of components, there is a huge gap between the two.

Personally, since I first got the dac19mk3, I compared it to many dacs and cd players costing to up to €3000 and most of them didn't nearly come close to the performance of the dac19mk3. There are other head-fiers who have compared the dac19mk3 favorably against the ps audio DLIII and other well known dacs. So if you can get your hand on a (used) dac19mk3 instead of a Keces 131, go for it.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #680 of 695
oqvist, I haven't tried enough headphones or dac's to be confident but I think they work good together. The pro 900 can get rather trebly with some setups though, I think you'll like the dac19DSP but given your dislike for sibilance I make no promises with dac19DF which might have too much high frequency details for your liking.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #681 of 695
I have DX 1000 and Edition 8 which have a bit rolled off treble to various degree as well which I am also curious how they perform with this. So it´s a bit hard to say exactly how I want the treble with my current rotation.

the Keces 131 mk 2 have pretty much destroyed everything else I have tried so I am not taking for granted a 650$ DAC of any kind is better for my preferences. Even though it should definiatly since it´s twice the cost and well received obviously. Do audio GD have a return policy so you can try out and return it? It would really make the jump easier.

How exactly do MK3 and MK4 stack up to eachother?

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #682 of 695
oqvist, audio-gd in the past has given full refunds to dissatisfied customers minus shipping fees, but I don't think they have a written return policy. Best if you asked (and make sure they know you're a serious customer not just wanting to rent for a month
tongue.gif
), but I think you'd be satisfied with this dac. Sound signature-wise you should be very happy with dac19DSP and pro 900, since dac19 has very beautiful treble, but since pro 900 has kind of quick transients/decay you might not want to combine it with the minor sense of speed of the df1704.

I don't think anyone except people at audio-gd have compared dac19mk3 vs dac19mk4 hehe, you'd have to email audio-gd@126.com if you want first hand opinion. But there have been spec improvements from dac19mk3 to dac19mk4, especially more power related stuff for the dac19DSP.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #683 of 695
Hi Guys,
Does anyone of you know how to set the PMD100 board?

According to Kingwa, the last version of the DAC19Mk3 come with jumper setting as attached picture shown.

There is no Instruction manual I can find to understand what it really does. I do have the PMD100 decoder manual... but how exactly those jumpers suppose to be doing is in Audio-GD board...

Regards,
Adrian

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #684 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrichia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys,
Does anyone of you know how to set the PMD100 board?

According to Kingwa, the last version of the DAC19Mk3 come with jumper setting as attached picture shown.

There is no Instruction manual I can find to understand what it really does. I do have the PMD100 decoder manual... but how exactly those jumpers suppose to be doing is in Audio-GD board...

Regards,
Adrian

Probably AudioGD can tell you, did you email him ?

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #685 of 695
Hi Regal,
Ya, AudioGD only send me the PMD100 manual. Does not have the immediate description on jumper, or the lack of it. Furthermore, I can't find any direct reference on AudioGD website... I guess it is somewhere in the chinese wording forum..

Hand got very itchy now... but doesnt want to damage the precious chip at the same time.

Regards,
Adrian

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #686 of 695
Quote:

Hi Regal,
Ya, AudioGD only send me the PMD100 manual. Does not have the immediate description on jumper, or the lack of it. Furthermore, I can't find any direct reference on AudioGD website... I guess it is somewhere in the chinese wording forum..

Hand got very itchy now... but doesnt want to damage the precious chip at the same time.

Regards,
Adrian

Could you email me the manual or post a link to it via PM. Could you also list the jumper header prefixes silk screened on the PCB please.

I'll likely be able to tell you what is what once I'm familiar with the labeling and the manual.

Peete.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #687 of 695
Let see what I can do. The PMD100 instruction file is 1MB ++, maybe you have an email I can send it to you?

I attach again a closer picture of the jumper area.
P19, P16, P3, P4, P5, P10, P12,P13.
Basically, P16,P3,P13 are connected. Older Mode A board is connected by resistors.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #688 of 695
If AudioGD won't tell you, you need to read the PMD100 datasheet and use a multimeter to trace were each of the jumpers goes to what pin and +5V or GND. I had a Pass D1 setup like this with jumpers for the PMD100 and you couldn't hurt it by using the wrong settings, however check with the DMM first to be safe.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #689 of 695
haha.. Regal.. I am not that techy.. ya I can trace the PMD100 chip to the board pin... but I dont think I know how to make the necessary setting refering to PMD100 manual..

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #690 of 695
Quote:

haha.. Regal.. I am not that techy.. ya I can trace the PMD100 chip to the board pin... but I dont think I know how to make the necessary setting refering to PMD100 manual..

Get on AudioGD case, they can't leave you high and dry like this. I would say that I am 90% certain that you can't blow it up by trying different combos of jumpers till you find one that works. Its probably all 5+ logic which won't harm the chip, take a DMM and test the voltages across each jumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back