Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Jan 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #601 of 695
Audio-gd power cables never used genuine Oyaide plugs, but some rip-off of the design from Europe. If they were using Oyaide plugs, they'd cost a few hundred dollars, not seventy-five.

For what it's worth, TTVJ sells the Juice Box Jr., a 2-socket power conditioner for $175, ie: one socket for your amp, one for your DAC. I need to do some more testing to be sure, but it seemed to have a positive effect on the sound in my rig, mostly with my Ref 1 and Ref 3 and less so the amps.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #602 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should let Audio-gd know about the wires being swapped, they need to be testing their cables. Does your audio-gd power cable say "wattgate" on it? I have two different versions of audio-gd power cables, and both are different types of oyaide (or lookalike oyaides), the older one being the C-029 unplated, and the other one is the current one they show on their website http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/line/powercable2.jpg . Would like to know if they have changed the power connectors once again.

They offer 3 (or 2, can't quite remember) types of plugs, EU, USA and France I think. The France one is fake Wattgate, and of course, it does say "Wattgate" on the plug.

I can understand that using genuine terminations from some famous brands can significantly ramp up the price, but can't understand why do they have to use the counterfeit ones. I mean, no one would blame them if the cable comes with some unbranded terminations, so long as it works well and sounds good.

Quote:

Long ago I asked if it would be better if shielded, and Pricklely Pete replied that Kingwa didn't want to shield it because shielding imparts its own sound coloration. An aluminum foil wrap causes emf to become stronger inside the cable rather than radiating outwards, and a ferrite bead attenuates the field but many people say it sounds bad in audio application.

OK that's understandable then.

Quote:

What it comes down to is the price of the 6 group cables then
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm curious how much the connectors cost as well, but I have no idea what constitutes a quality connector or how to tell counterfeits.

With this one you can tell very easily since the plugs aren't even high-grade counterfeits.

Quote:

You're the first person to get swapped wires, audio-gd just needs to be informed and test their cables from now on so it doesn't happen again. If someone wants to DIY, some people believe 6-10 awg $0.70/foot home depot cables are as good as high end cables. They're shielded and braided as well.

Not exactly, my friend bought this cable to use with his amp a couple months ago and told me his was also swapped. In fact, I was aware of this because of him, and when checking mine, I also found that it's swapped. You might as well check yours.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #603 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrTv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my previous post, I said I've just bought the 19MkIII, and was satisfied with its performance.

I however am considering upgrading again to the critically acclaimed CDP/DAC, Cambridge C840, since selling this DAC and my CDP will almost cover the cost of a 2nd hand C840.

My question is, has anyone actually compared these two (I mean, head-to-head)? And is this option really an "upgrade"?

FYI, the transport is Rotel RCD-06. I'm not sure if the Cambridge has USB-In but I don't plan to use it anyway.

not head to head, but have heard both. I favour the 19mk3, personally. Of course many other factors come into play when you use outboard DAC.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #605 of 695
You'll probably love it, that's for sure. I intend to get one later, I'm just not sure what amp to pair with it. The C-2 seems to be a great choice if I can't decide on anything else.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #606 of 695
so did anyone ordered it yet?
The DSP-1 version is overall better than DF1704 or it just sounds different and if i buy the DSP-1 is there any reason to also buy the DF1704 module? i think i gonna get one but i don't know which module to choose, there is a 3rd option to get the board for PMD100 and buy it from ebay. Any advices or opinions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #607 of 695
I own a REF1, which is using a DSP1. I supposed the DSP1 is the best digital filter in the Audio-gd products. As you can see Kingwa is putting the DSP1 in his top of the line DACs. I would go for the DSP1 and ignore the other boards.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #608 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a REF1, which is using a DSP1. I supposed the DSP1 is the best digital filter in the Audio-gd products. As you can see Kingwa is putting the DSP1 in his top of the line DACs. I would go for the DSP1 and ignore the other boards.

I do think someone needs to do a proper comparison between the DSP-1 and the DF1704 version before we start telling everyone that the DSP-1 version is really worth it. You have to keep in mind though, that the filter chip is not the only part that's different between the DSP-1 and DF1704 version. The DSP-1 version uses a little higher quality capacitors for example.

Such a test would probably be most helpful for other Head-Fiers here if it was done in combination with an Audio-GD C-2 amp, as that seems to be a very attractive combination.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #609 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do think someone needs to do a proper comparison between the DSP-1 and the DF1704 version before we start telling everyone that the DSP-1 version is really worth it. You have to keep in mind though, that the filter chip is not the only part that's different between the DSP-1 and DF1704 version. The DSP-1 version uses a little higher quality capacitors for example.

Such a test would probably be most helpful for other Head-Fiers here if it was done in combination with an Audio-GD C-2 amp, as that seems to be a very attractive combination.

I agree, I too would like to see a comparison between the DSP-1 and DF1704 version. That would be nice!

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #611 of 695
Quote:

I agree the proof is in the listening. However I think the DSP must bring something positive to the table or Kingwa would have just used the 1704 filter in his reference DACs.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #612 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by soberspine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so did anyone ordered it yet?
The DSP-1 version is overall better than DF1704 or it just sounds different and if i buy the DSP-1 is there any reason to also buy the DF1704 module? i think i gonna get one but i don't know which module to choose, there is a 3rd option to get the board for PMD100 and buy it from ebay. Any advices or opinions?
smily_headphones1.gif

I expect it to ship out on Monday. Its my first set up so I will have nothing to compare it to.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #613 of 695
What version of the DAC-19 did you buy?

I think we need to start a new thread for both the new DAC-19 and the C-2 amp and leave this thread and the C-2C thread for those specific products. Might be less confusing and would make this and the C-2C thread a better place for owners of those products.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #614 of 695
Quote:

I think we need to start a new thread for both the new DAC-19 and the C-2 amp and leave this thread and the C-2C thread for those specific products. Might be less confusing and would make this and the C-2C thread a better place for owners of those products.

Agreed, I can give specific info on the why the Alterra Cyclone II chip is the better solution but you'll have to wait for me to post that info tomorrow since I just had a molar pulled today and I'm not feeling all that great.

The DSP1 chip ...think of it as a high speed, ultra wide bandwidth digital communications CPU (250Mhz) that has the equivalent computing power of a PII processor. Details to follow.

Peete.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #615 of 695
Quote:

I think we need a new thread for both the new DAC19 and the C2 amp and leave this thread and the C-2C thread for those specific products. Might be less confusing and would make this and the C-2C thread a better place for owners of those products.

I agree on the new threads as the DAC 19 with two versions available and the C2 amp are, as most know, new and different from the DAC19MKIII and C2-C.

I ordered the new stuff (DAC19-DSP1) and C2 with the hope that starting at mid-fi level stuff will keep me satisfied for a long time. Cans will be HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back