Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Jan 16, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #572 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The module pictured is the non-HDCD decoding DF1704 module. The HDCD module has a chip labelled HDCD PMD100, thats the one you want.

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at my 1st picture, I think it currently has the HDCD module equipped. So it seems I already have both modules. According to slim.a's first post, I think the HDCD one (PMD100) is Mode A and the other Mode B.

If I want to swap them around, all I need to do is unscrewing the current one and putting in a new one, right?

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #573 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrTv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply.

Looking at my 1st picture, I think it currently has the HDCD module equipped. So it seems I already have both modules. According to slim.a's first post, I think the HDCD one (PMD100) is Mode A and the other Mode B.

If I want to swap them around, all I need to do is unscrewing the current one and putting in a new one, right?

Yes, it is pretty easy to switch them, just unscrew your current PMD100 (mode A) and you can replace it with the DF1704 (mode B) if you are curious to listen to their different flavours of sound.
By the way, you should let the df1704 (the second module) burn-in/warm-up for at least 24 hours before it sounds decent.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #574 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The module pictured is the non-HDCD decoding DF1704 module. The HDCD module has a chip labelled HDCD PMD100, thats the one you want.

Actually I think what he wants to try out is the other one. When the dac19mk3 page first came out, mode A was pmd-100, mode B was df1704. A few months later the page then called df1704 the new mode A and said you could use pmd-100 for "a different flavor", if memory serves. So people still thinking of it as mode a and b, expect to get confused
tongue.gif
but now audio-gd is out of pmd-100 and you can only get it by providing your own chip.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #575 of 695
Has anyone done some comparison between any of the <$1000 audiogd DAC's (19MK3, 3SE & 3DV) against any of stello da100, lavry da10, dac1 ? I found lot of comparisons between stello,lavry and benchmark but nothing with the audiogd DAC's. I am kind of zeroing in on stello da100 for my next upgrade since I won't be using balanced outputs. But curious to see where the audiogd's stack up against it.

Any input will be helpful. Thanks.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #576 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I think what he wants to try out is the other one. When the dac19mk3 page first came out, mode A was pmd-100, mode B was df1704. A few months later the page then called df1704 the new mode A and said you could use pmd-100 for "a different flavor", if memory serves. So people still thinking of it as mode a and b, expect to get confused
tongue.gif
but now audio-gd is out of pmd-100 and you can only get it by providing your own chip.

Yeah, checked Google's cache of 19MK3 page and found this:
Quote:

Another modules for DAC19MK3 : PMD100 modules can replace the DF1704 modules but has different flavor , and highest input support 24Bit/55KHz, price is USD30.

So it seems the unit was shipped with the so called "Mode B" for quite some time. Maybe the reason for this change was the shortage of PMD100 chip.

One strange thing is that I've just bought this one from Audio-gd's authorized retailer (it's their last unit), and the amp was just built in November (from a sticker on the casing), but it came with the PMD100.

Another thing I can't understand is why do they have to remove 19Mk3's page from their site?

I mean, I know that the product has been discontinued and they're now promoting its replacement, but can't they keep the page for the sake of information? IMO, it's easier for them to just put a big red "DISCONTINUED" on the product's page than deleting everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone done some comparison between any of the <$1000 audiogd DAC's (19MK3, 3SE & 3DV) against any of stello da100, lavry da10, dac1 ? I found lot of comparisons between stello,lavry and benchmark but nothing with the audiogd DAC's. I am kind of zeroing in on stello da100 for my next upgrade since I won't be using balanced outputs. But curious to see where the audiogd's stack up against it.

Any input will be helpful. Thanks.

Well, I've just asked this same question.

You may check Part III of slim.a's review on the 1st page where some of the above DACs are mentioned.

I'm still keen to see some direct/head-to-head comparisons with above DACs though.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #577 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrTv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing I can't understand is why do they have to remove 19Mk3's page from their site?

I mean, I know that the product has been discontinued and they're now promoting its replacement, but can't they keep the page for the sake of information? IMO, it's easier for them to just put a big red "DISCONTINUED" on the product's page than deleting everything.

Agreed. You should tell Kingwa to make a page called "Legacy products" like a lot of companies do, where the old models are left for information retrieval.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #579 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if you can swap the DF1704 module with a PMD 100 one in the new DAC 19 DSP??

This was in an email Kingwa sent in reply to my question about what differences would be present in the new DAC 19MK3.

The New DAC19 is slight than DAC19MK3.
We have not PMD100 anymore, so we design the new DAC19 can support to our DSP1 and DF1704.
If owners can find PMD100 chip themselves, we can offer the modules board for users install.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #581 of 695
I just email kingwa about adding the cast connector for dac19mk3 since the dac is already operated in ACSS

First, i have say thank you to him for sharing information, as it might be abit sensitive for his marketing.
tongue_smile.gif

He said that it is possible to do so.... (please see the attatched pic from kingwa)

: the original solder must be desolder

1. Install a dual switch near each of the PCM1704 IC (each side), the switch can be placed on the front or back. ( back would be my choice)

2. Add two cast sockets with two wires are connected (each socket) to "cast", "ground", the solder points are at the back the dac19 board (near RCA sockets)

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #582 of 695
The cast or ACSS as Kingwa calls it, isnt just taking the I out of the dac is it (most dacs have current outs)? If so, anyone can do this, then again to do it right for single ended a transformer would be needed. On the other hand, looking at this dac, it seems there are two black little boxes on each side near the output stage, these arent output transformers are they?

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #583 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks CountChoculabot.

Wonder if the DSP would have to be configured differently for each module or whether it would be a simple swap and replace?

I emailed Kingwa about this and he responded:

"The DSP version also can exchange to DF1704 or PMD100 modules but tow place need solder. If has wrong operation, it will shatter the DSP modules while you power on it.
The DAC19DSP version not only upgrade the DSP1 inside, but upgrade the WIMA caps for less coloration sound."

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #584 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was in an email Kingwa sent in reply to my question about what differences would be present in the new DAC 19MK3.

The New DAC19 is slight than DAC19MK3.

I didn't quite understand. Does he mean that the MK4 is very similar to the MK3?

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #585 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't quite understand. Does he mean that the MK4 is very similar to the MK3?

I think he meant to say it's only slightly better. Not a dramatic change in other words.

I'm mainly interested in knowing the exact difference in sound between the normal DAC-19 and the DAC-19DSP. The only way we'll get to know though, is if Kingwa was kind enough to send both versions to someone on this forum. Until then we won't truly know how they differ in sound quality.

Can someone tell me what the differences are between the DSP-1 version and the non-DSP-1 version? Then I meanly want to know the the differences in what exact input signal each can except.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back