[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #616 of 964
Quote:
Hey guys, how does the UE6000 compare to M50?
I hear that the 6000's bass is like a Beat's bass. If so, I quit. Else...
I hear isolation isn't all that great, but still acceptable. Is that true? Is it good for hip-hop/rnb/soul?
And the AKG Tiestos seem like a direct competitor for these. 
basshead.gif

The bass of UE6000 would feel overbearing if you prefer the bass of the M50 which I consider light.  Their mids are very good with above average detail.  The highs of the UE6000 are slightly rolled off compared to the M50, so they have a different sound.  I thought isolation on the UE6000 was very good and they are some of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn with generously sized earpads.  I would say try the UE6000 at the Apple store to see if they are for you.  I would also recommend the M-100 for what you describe.  I am waiting for the K267 Tiesto as well.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #617 of 964
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, how does the UE6000 compare to M50?
I hear that the 6000's bass is like a Beat's bass. If so, I quit. Else...
I hear isolation isn't all that great, but still acceptable. Is that true? Is it good for hip-hop/rnb/soul?
And the AKG Tiestos seem like a direct competitor for these. 
basshead.gif

The bass of UE6000 would feel overbearing if you prefer the bass of the M50 which I consider light.  Their mids are very good with above average detail.  The highs of the UE6000 are slightly rolled off compared to the M50, so they have a different sound.  I thought isolation on the UE6000 was very good and they are some of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn with generously sized earpads.  I would say try the UE6000 at the Apple store to see if they are for you.  I would also recommend the M-100 for what you describe.  I am waiting for the K267 Tiesto as well.

The M50 has a fairly neutral bass response (slightly north of neutral), so yes the UE6000 would be like "woaaah that's alotof bass".

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #618 of 964
Quote:
The M50 has a fairly neutral bass response (slightly north of neutral), so yes the UE6000 would be like "woaaah that's alotof bass".

Thanks, guys. How about compared to the P5 and the Beats at the Apple Stores? I'd say those have way too much bass. You can't even hear the mids (Beats). And this is coming from a teen who listens to hip-hop and rnb.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #619 of 964
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, guys. How about compared to the P5 and the Beats at the Apple Stores? I'd say those have way too much bass. You can't even hear the mids (Beats). And this is coming from a teen who listens to hip-hop and rnb.

I can't make a solid comment on those headphones, but if I recall correctly, the Beats (Studio and Executive, the 2 noise cancelling ones) actually had a more forward midrange than the UE6000. Tonally the UE6000 was more accurate and the Beats sounded can-like/hollow/metallic. The Executives have the least bass of the 3 (Executive < UE6000 < Studio) and the most treble (Executive > Studio > UE6000). Again, these are all from memory, so don't quote me on this. >_<

In terms of noise cancellation, the Executives by far had the best of the 3, but you could hear the background hiss and it was really annoying to me. In terms of comfort, I actually have to hand it to the Studio's as they are light on the head compared to the UE6000...and the Executives are like lead weights. As for durability, the Executives felt the most solid, UE6000 in 2nd place, Studio's just felt plain cheap and flimsy.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #620 of 964
Thanks so much miceblue. Unfortunately, I feel like quitting on this set. I had heard that it was comparable to the M50s in sound quality, comfort, and isolation. But if that's not so AND if the bass is already more than the Executives, build quality only a little better than the dangerously flimsy Studios, AND midrange is more recessed than some Beats, I feel like giving up. For those of you reading this post in my situation, check out the Tiesto K167. They don't look as attractive and have less bass, but isolation, comfort, SQ, soundstage are all at a high caliber.

Final question: How's the tightness of the bass? Is it well controlled or does it vibrate and cover up other frequencies?

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #622 of 964
Quote:
I think the UE6000 sound great but the cable too short for my home application. Anyone can recommend a affordable replacement cable ?

V-MODA's SharePlay cable is pretty good for home use, in my opinion. It's not being sold yet, but they have an audio-only cable that's about 6 inches shorter (the SharePlay is about 6 ft.).
http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/
$12 isn't half-bad for a cable.

If you need something longer, a coiled cable is probably your best bet, although I don't know of anyone who sells it other than Shure and it won't fit the UE6000 (2.5mm to 3.5mm cable).

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #623 of 964
Quote:
V-MODA's SharePlay cable is pretty good for home use, in my opinion. It's not being sold yet, but they have an audio-only cable that's about 6 inches shorter (the SharePlay is about 6 ft.).
http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/
$12 isn't half-bad for a cable.

If you need something longer, a coiled cable is probably your best bet, although I don't know of anyone who sells it other than Shure and it won't fit the UE6000 (2.5mm to 3.5mm cable).

Thank you for the response.

So you actually tried the V-Moda audio-only cable on the UE6000 and they fit, right ?

Anyway based on your description the V-moda audio-only cable is not much longer than the stock UE6000 cable, may be one foot or so. I guess my best bet is to wait for the SharePlay cable.

Alternatively someone can recommend a quality extension cord. I saw this Shure extension cable over Headroom:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/shure-3ft-mini-extension-cable.php

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #624 of 964
Quote:
Thank you for the response.

So you actually tried the V-Moda audio-only cable on the UE6000 and they fit, right ?

Anyway based on your description the V-moda audio-only cable is not much longer than the stock UE6000 cable, may be one foot or so. I guess my best bet is to wait for the SharePlay cable.

Alternatively someone can recommend a quality extension cord. I saw this Shure extension cable over Headroom:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/shure-3ft-mini-extension-cable.php

Stop thinking too hard about this. Just pick one male to male cable from here:

http://dx.com/s/3.5mm+male+cable

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #625 of 964
So I actually read through most of this thread to try and decide whether or not to get these. After doing so, I'm left a bit confused.

Are these worth it or even above their $200 price point?

AND

Are there similarly priced, or even cheaper, options that are equal or better in overall audio quality that are as comfortable?

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #626 of 964
Quote:
So I actually read through most of this thread to try and decide whether or not to get these. After doing so, I'm left a bit confused.

Are these worth it or even above their $200 price point?

AND

Are there similarly priced, or even cheaper, options that are equal or better in overall audio quality that are as comfortable?

It depends on your needs.  In that price range, I like the Monster DNA and Roc Nation Aviator, but they don't bring the bass of the UE 6000, although they are brighter.  If you can push your budget, the V-Moda M-100 is a fantastic headphone, but they need some settling in before they become comfortable.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #628 of 964
Hi Hyperplus,
I am sure you are enjoying the UE9000 very much, I still do too. My only complaint is that sometimes it can fall off my head depending of what head movement I want to do. Not that I've ever let them fall off. But I would have liked if even if I shake my head hard enough, they would stay in place. It became more apparent after I tried the Sony 1r BT a few days ago. For any one who is looking for a bass that is not as powerful as the UE 9000, the Sony is another excellent pair of sounding headphones. Plus it feels like it will stay on even you shake your head back and forth, and it's also a lot lighter. It still feels solid, looks like they have used some good quality plastic instead. Unfortunately, I cannot afford it now, and I don't want to part the UEs. The UE 9000 has some solid aluminium on the side that add a little more weight. It can also be found for considerably cheaper too. The M50 does not have bass if you compare them with the UE 9000. I have the Fischer 011 for gaming on my PC and they which audiophiles like to call bassy cannot compare in terms of bass to the UE. I have also tried the Parrot Zit, and I must say that it was not very good, the music just sounded holo and thin, the bass got distorted easily.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #629 of 964
Quote:
I would like to try some Sony MDR 1NCs. Has anyone tried these two and can make a comparison? 

I haven't heard the UE6000/9000s but may get a set of 9000s tomorrow and will see what gives. I compared the Sony against PSB M4U2s and really couldn't decide which I preferred more. There was a bit of a bump in the Sonys in lower mid (I think) and slightly flabby bass, but I generally loved their relaxed sound. They were of the same detail level as the PSBs, but *may* have had better separation and soundstage, but the PSBs sounded a bit cleaner.

However, I really didn't like the NC mode. The sound changed completely (mids disappeared to my ears, although bass tightened up). Additionally, the NC mode seemed to boost high frequency noises from outside slightly, and it amplified wind noise.

Having said all that, I really want to compare the Sony BT version to the PSB 2 and UE 9000.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #630 of 964
I hate this site. In the last month I have bought, begged, borrowed or stolen :-

PSB M4U2 (returning due to a slight channel imbalance)
Sony MDR 1RNC
AKG 550
Zik Parrot
Sennheiser Amperior (which I'm selling here in London BTW)

Also on my to-try list are the Momentums and Sony MDR 1RBT (I really liked the NC Sonys, but not the NC mode).

And now, thanks to this damn thread, I may buy a pair of UE 9000s tomorrow (Although I'm confused by the great/rubbish alternating reviews!). I spoke to the Apple Store Regent Street, and they say I can return them within 14 days if I don't like them, so may as well give them a try.

I'm slightly concerned about all the talk of huge bass, sound leakage and the fact they seem quite hard to drive on an iPhone but I guess I'll see. I think I want a slightly warmer phone than the PSB (which I love though, and may still get a replacement pair). The Sony's were almost there for me, but the NC mode blew it, hence the possibility of the BT model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back