[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jun 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #171 of 781
i wasn't a fan of how the auvio tips sounded on mine. tried both the green and blue. maybe i'll give them a shot again. my ear canals are kind of strange in that they're really shallow but pretty tall. so far i've tried the large sony hybrids, medium sony hybrids, large sony mh1c tips, meelec medium double flange, auvio large and medium. i think i like the sound with the mh1c tips the most, but they hurt my ears, so i've been using the large hybrids. i'm considering getting some comply foams, but i'm worried about the sound being too affected. although i hear that's less of a case with the newer complys.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #172 of 781
Quote:
i wasn't a fan of how the auvio tips sounded on mine. tried both the green and blue. maybe i'll give them a shot again. my ear canals are kind of strange in that they're really shallow but pretty tall. so far i've tried the large sony hybrids, medium sony hybrids, large sony mh1c tips, meelec medium double flange, auvio large and medium. i think i like the sound with the mh1c tips the most, but they hurt my ears, so i've been using the large hybrids. i'm considering getting some comply foams, but i'm worried about the sound being too affected. although i hear that's less of a case with the newer complys.

Yeah, the T-400's attenuated the upper mids to highs too much for me.    Will be getting the TS-400's on Monday or Tuesday and will report back how they work out.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #173 of 781

Yup, head direct is shipping with a free clam case...and I ordered this friday afternoon. With free shipping I got it today. I love hifiman!!! Now to go side by side with my he400s

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #174 of 781
Quote:
[…] so far i've tried the large sony hybrids, medium sony hybrids, large sony mh1c tips, meelec medium double flange, auvio large and medium. […]

Which size Meelec tips fit these? I've long been tempted by their double-flanges, but figuring out what is sized how is… an exercise…

Been using my RE-400s with JLab tips - both the double and single flanges. Get better isolation with the singles (which I don't like), and a more reliable seal. Prefer the doubles, but tend to have to get them (actually, just the right one - my two canals seem wildly different) in perfectly the first time, or spend my commute adjusting. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #175 of 781
So my brother opened his birthday gift. i got him some RE-400s. No clamshell case, ordered last friday from amazon.

I preemptively bought those auvio tips - dang they're some of the best tips i've used much better seal than the sony hybrids even on my xba-1. definitely the best on the re-400 from my 10 minutes of them.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #178 of 781
Ok, regarding tips, I just got the Comply TS-400's.  

A little background.
Stock small bi-flanges were too small.
Large stock bi-flanges work but they're a bit too big.
Sony Hybrids attenuated the highs AND the mids being that opening is much smaller than the stock tips.
The Comply T-400's sounded better than the Sony, but while they didn't attenuate the mids, they did attenuate the highs.

The Comply TS-400's are PERFECT.   The opening in these tips are even larger than the stock large bi-flanges and the RE-400's housing sits closer to that opening for a totally unobstructive opening to the ear canal.   They also allow for a deeper insertion.   No attenuated highs.   No attenuated mids but...............with a sense that the bottom end goes lower and with more quantity without bleeding into the lower mids.    NICE !!!!

But man, they pick up any little debris that may be in your ears.   I cleaned mine right before insertion and they still came out with a bit of grunge on them (didn't have that problem with the T-400's and I'm guessing that it's because these go deeper).   Other than this slight annoyance, they allow the 400's to really do what they do best.    Sounds amazing.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #179 of 781
Quote:

Pull out the black foam packing and look on the bottom side of the foam.   The "wrappy stick thing" should be there.

I'm a little miffed about the no clamshell, but i suppose i can pick one up somewhere.

I've got the re-400 for the hour - my younger brother went out with his friends. These are just gems, they are! I can't even describe it properly, and they've only got 4-ish hours on them too!

they are wonderfully neutral; they lend themselves to opposite genres fantastically. have wonderful texture and timbre when listening to jazz, the horn gently bright and airy while the floor bass moaned deep and low. Listening to bassy electro swing (parov stellar ragtime), the bass can be punchy and rumble low enough. Listening to more mellow instrumental music (#41 by dave mathews) the bass is more balanced in and presents itself in all the different instruments.

the soundstage is full ranged. In width it has plenty of head space that extends outwards, while other headphones like the tf.10 are more like loudspeakers in that the sound stage is present mostly outside your head.

I've got so many IEMs on my list, but i may just have to pick one of these up for myself at some point in the point. they are something special at the sweet spot price-wise. I could easily imagine using these as my EDC IEMs, though i usually prefer to carry around ~$25 models.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #180 of 781
Quote:
Ok, regarding tips, I just got the Comply TS-400's.  

A little background.
Stock small bi-flanges were too small.
Large stock bi-flanges work but they're a bit too big.
Sony Hybrids attenuated the highs AND the mids being that opening is much smaller than the stock tips.
The Comply T-400's sounded better than the Sony, but while they didn't attenuate the mids, they did attenuate the highs.

The Comply TS-400's are PERFECT.   The opening in these tips are even larger than the stock large bi-flanges and the RE-400's housing sits closer to that opening for a totally unobstructive opening to the ear canal.   They also allow for a deeper insertion.   No attenuated highs.   No attenuated mids but...............with a sense that the bottom end goes lower and with more quantity without bleeding into the lower mids.    NICE !!!!

But man, they pick up any little debris that may be in your ears.   I cleaned mine right before insertion and they still came out with a bit of grunge on them (didn't have that problem with the T-400's and I'm guessing that it's because these go deeper).   Other than this slight annoyance, they allow the 400's to really do what they do best.    Sounds amazing.

just curious, what size hybrids do you generally use? now i'm interested in getting some ts-400's, but i don't know what size i should get. i have really strange ear canals, but generally large stuff fits me better than medium even though large stuff sometimes gives me an uncomfortable seal. but mediums usually are too loose to seal at all. also, do you think paying a little extra for the wax guard versions would be worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back