[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jul 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #181 of 781
Quote:
just curious, what size hybrids do you generally use? now i'm interested in getting some ts-400's, but i don't know what size i should get. i have really strange ear canals, but generally large stuff fits me better than medium even though large stuff sometimes gives me an uncomfortable seal. but mediums usually are too loose to seal at all. also, do you think paying a little extra for the wax guard versions would be worth it?

Being that there such a variation between tip sizes by manufacturer, I'd suggest getting the assorted sizes for the first go around with the TS-400's.   

Regarding the wax guard, it "may" be worth it if it doesn't attenuate the highs and upper mids.    I've heard that they do tend to do that a bit.

If you have the RE-400's, I strongly suggest to try the TS-400's out.    Also, if you do, please report back to let us know if you have the same experience as I.  

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #182 of 781
Quote:

Being that there such a variation between tip sizes by manufacturer, I'd suggest getting the assorted sizes for the first go around with the TS-400's.   

Regarding the wax guard, it "may" be worth it if it doesn't attenuate the high and upper mids.    I've heard that they do tend to do that a bit.

If you have the RE-400's, I strongly suggest to try the TS-400's out.    Also, if you do, please report back to let us know if you have the same experience as I.  

yeah, but i've also read that the ts-400's get worn out really quickly, so it feels kind of uneconomical to order a mixed pairs set and only be able to use one pair of them and then be stuck with two useless pairs and have to order more, haha. i read some reviews saying they got one size smaller than their non-foam sizes though. that the case with you?

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #183 of 781
Quote:
yeah, but i've also read that the ts-400's get worn out really quickly, so it feels kind of uneconomical to order a mixed pairs set and only be able to use one pair of them and then be stuck with two useless pairs and have to order more, haha. i read some reviews saying they got one size smaller than their non-foam sizes though. that the case with you?

The stock large bi-flanges gave me a great seal, but they were a bit too big comfort wise while limiting insertion depth.   The medium TS-400's worked great for me.  Same seal as the large bi-flanges but didn't feel like they were packing my ears too much plus they allowed for a deeper insertion.   

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #184 of 781
I like the R1 double-flanges for sound and comfort.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #185 of 781
Quote:

The stock large bi-flanges gave me a great seal, but they were a bit too big comfort wise while limiting insertion depth.   The medium TS-400's worked great for me.  Same seal as the large bi-flanges but didn't feel like they were packing my ears too much plus they allowed for a deeper insertion.   

sounds like mediums would work for me. so you wear large in sony hybrids too, i take it? the light blue cores?

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #188 of 781
Quote:
hmm. now i'm torn. i have worn the green ones before, but the green for me don't get the best seal with the re-400's. the greens with my vsonic gr07's worked pretty well. i think i'm gonna go ahead and get the medium complys and hope for the best.

You can always order them from Amazon and return them if they don't work out.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #190 of 781
You guys should try those radio shack auvio tips. They're the best I've got, and I have the t400, UE tips, meelec, shure, and the full range of Sony hybrids.

I didn't like the sound with the hybrids much. The auvio centers the bore and has a wide bore so it doesn't appear to mask anything and the seal is fantastic.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #191 of 781
Quote:
You guys should try those radio shack auvio tips. They're the best I've got, and I have the t400, UE tips, meelec, shure, and the full range of Sony hybrids.

I didn't like the sound with the hybrids much. The auvio centers the bore and has a wide bore so it doesn't appear to mask anything and the seal is fantastic.

i do have the auvios in medium and large and i didn't like either as much as the hybrid. maybe i was too quick in assessing them though. i just find the hybrids a lot more comfortable and that's important to me.

edit:
trying the auvio mediums and they're more comfortable/sound better than i remembered. i think it's because i went right for the large auvios and i was getting an uncomfortable seal and i didn't spend much time with the mediums because the mediums in my other tips weren't sealing all that well.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #193 of 781
Quote:
would they accept a return on a used item? i've never returned anything to amazon, but i always figured they wouldn't want something returned like that, especially something that goes in someone's ears, haha.

Yeah they will.   I wouldn't return them with gobs of earwax hangin' off of them though.  hehe......

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #194 of 781
How do these compare to the $120 Rock-it R-50s? They are at the same price level more or less, and have both been hailed as top contenders in their shared price range, so how do they match up against each other?

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #195 of 781
Quote:
How do these compare to the $120 Rock-it R-50s? They are at the same price level more or less, and have both been hailed as top contenders in their shared price range, so how do they match up against each other?

From everything that I've read, the R-50's are brighter and more analytical.   The RE-400's are more balanced and a bit warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back