[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jul 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #212 of 781
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the Radioshacks have the Auvio tips in stock. I have rather large earholes, do you think I can get a good seal using those tips? 

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #214 of 781
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the Radioshacks have the Auvio tips in stock. I have rather large earholes, do you think I can get a good seal using those tips? 

They come in a range of sizes. They are supremely comfortable and seal well for me.

Because it is my understanding they have been ergonomically designed to be worn cable up and indeed my experience and that of others seems to back that up - the seal is easier that way.

And this understanding comes from an official statement from HiFiMAN? Link plz.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #215 of 781
Quote:
Because it is my understanding they have been ergonomically designed to be worn cable up and indeed my experience and that of others seems to back that up - the seal is easier that way.

Can you point out what part of the design has been ergonomically designed to be worn cable up, 'cause I can't see it.

With that being said, I do get a better seal when wearing them cable up.   I have no idea why though and can't see anything in the design that would cause this to happen, so I just assumed that it has to do with the shape of my canals and the angle in which I insert them.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #217 of 781
Well, I went ahead and ordered them, should get them by Tuesday. These are my first "reference" style IEM's, so this should be an interesting experience.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #218 of 781
Quote:
Well, I went ahead and ordered them, should get them by Tuesday. These are my first "reference" style IEM's, so this should be an interesting experience.

IMO, these weren't designed as reference...  A reference IEM, RE272, Etymotic, DF-comp IEM will sound well too bright for modern recordings.  These were designed to listen to the recording without hinderence, fatigue, or anything of that nature.  Hence the warmer overall sound, it is forgiving as it filters out some of the garbage that is present in many tracks nowadays. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #219 of 781
They are a 'waterline', not a 'reference'.

Don't ask me what the difference is, because I don't know. And neither does anyone else. These kind of labels just get in tthe way of the point.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #220 of 781
IMO, these weren't designed as reference...  A reference IEM, RE272, Etymotic, DF-comp IEM will sound well too bright for modern recordings.  These were designed to listen to the recording without hinderence, fatigue, or anything of that nature.  Hence the warmer overall sound, it is forgiving as it filters out some of the garbage that is present in many tracks nowadays. 

Hmm " Reference" is a so vague. The RE400 is pretty flat on the DF reference, its just a downsloap (272s are also downsloap). Vsonics studio monitor is GR07, Sonys the 7550 and UE the UERM, the RE400 is just as flat as these, all which are downsloap. ER4S itself is not purely DF. Flat iems are flat on the downsloap, or using a Olive Welti curve if that's an aid

Lol waterline isn't anything

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #222 of 781
Oh, I know. It's why I used reference in quotes. It's sorta my catch all for more neutral sounding/analytical/whatever earphones.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #224 of 781
Hmm ill agree RE400 is one of the best in its price range. RE0 is about just as good though, too bad those are gone.

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #225 of 781
Quote:
Hmm ill agree RE400 is one of the best in its price range. RE0 is about just as good though, too bad those are gone.

+1 I still have an RE0 and compared to RE-400, I think RE0 actually has more detail and clarity overall. RE-400 has better dynamics, somewhat better presence in the deep bass and a more 3D soundstage. For acoustic music which I listen to a lot, RE0 is the better choice with its higher fidelity IMO. For pop, rock or dance, RE-400 does better. I really wish Hifiman kept the RE0 too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back