[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #197 of 781
So after a couple days with these, I am in love. Great for on the go when I need isolation and portability, extremely small and comfortable. Running them off my fiio e17 plugged into my iPod touch with a line out cable, works great. Now, if the stock bi flanges fit me, would the medium comply ts400 be the size most likely to fit? I just want to try new tips out since I'm fairly new to the iem scene, and the stock tips take a bit of working to get the right fit.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #198 of 781
You could always try my tip of choice for the re-400:

Take the large stock double flanges and cut the top flange off at the base. Use that as the tip.

Works perfectly for me.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #199 of 781

Take the large stock double flanges and cut the top flange off at the base. Use that as the tip.

Works perfectly for me.

Wow. Large double flang is the only way the bass sounds. right and to me. My foam mods add sonera richness and better seal and isolation and eliminate driver flex flex. The foam moods also adds a better upper mid to high transition. I would like to make an all foam double flange...but don't want to buy another accessories kit. Any thoughts on on on other. double flange flanges. vs the stock large ones. Im just going to use the silicone alas a core to space the foam and get the bore. abduction length right.

Happy Listening

jgwtriode

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #200 of 781

Works perfectly for me.

Wow. Large double flang is the only way the bass sounds. right and to me. My foam mods add sonera richness and better seal and isolation and eliminate driver flex flex. The foam moods also adds a better upper mid to high transition. I would like to make an all foam double flange...but don't want to buy another accessories kit. Any thoughts on on on other. double flange flanges. vs the stock large ones. Im just going to use the silicone alas a core to space the foam and get the bore. abduction length right.

Happy Listening

jgwtriode

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #202 of 781
So I'm upgrading from an Klipsch S4, and I'm thinking about getting the RE400 but this would be the closest to neutral headphones I've ever owned. Do you believe I would miss the impact of the bass if I bought these (when compared to the S4)? 

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #204 of 781
I don't like wearing over the ear, and it's on it's last legs, the things about to fall apart on me. Also, I've begun to notice how shrill the treble is. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #206 of 781
So I'm upgrading from an Klipsch S4, and I'm thinking about getting the RE400 but this would be the closest to neutral headphones I've ever owned. Do you believe I would miss the impact of the bass if I bought these (when compared to the S4)? 

Hard to say. My friend who is a huge basshead liked my comparatively lighter bass having FAD Heaven V a whole lot. It's a very engaging listen IMO, and that's why I think. That made me think that maybe some people like bass for the rhythm it can create, the toe tapping effect, the engaging quality many call PRaT around here, more than the larger bass quantity itself. The RE-400 bass is well balanced to the mids and the treble but not bass heavy by any means. I honestly don't know if I'd say it has that really engaging quality after my short demo.

Hopefully someone else can add their thoughts.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #209 of 781
Quote:

As I've stated on other threads here, I'm more of an audiophile-basshead  (some don't believe we exist....lol...but we do) than anything else. I really loved the RE-262, but in the end it didn't have enough bass for me, so as beautiful as the sound was I had to sell. it. Saying all that, the RE-400 has enough bass for me to really enjoy it. It's not basshead bass but any stretch of the imagination, but it's not like either. If you get a good deep seal, I think the bass is enough to suffice someone who loves a little low end or more. I've found that the bass shines best with R1 or Meel double-flanges, or with the Auvio silicon tips. I really appreciate the sound of the RE-400. I have other IEMs and headphones for when I need a bit more bass kick. The quality of bass will win you over with the RE-400 though.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #210 of 781
As I've stated on other threads here, I'm more of an audiophile-basshead  (some don't believe we exist....lol...but we do) than anything else. I really loved the RE-262, but in the end it didn't have enough bass for me, so as beautiful as the sound was I had to sell. it. Saying all that, the RE-400 has enough bass for me to really enjoy it. It's not basshead bass but any stretch of the imagination, but it's not like either. If you get a good deep seal, I think the bass is enough to suffice someone who loves a little low end or more. I've found that the bass shines best with R1 or Meel double-flanges, or with the Auvio silicon tips. I really appreciate the sound of the RE-400. I have other IEMs and headphones for when I need a bit more bass kick. The quality of bass will win you over with the RE-400 though.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back