[REVIEW] HifiMan RE272 – the Purist
May 4, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #46 of 115
Remustan, Custom Sleek Audio SA6 with 47 Ohm resistor, HiFiMAN RE-272.

May 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #47 of 115
Clieos: I love my DBAs, they just have that fantastic treble and highs and airyness that puts even my FXT-90s to shame. I love how the mids are just wonderfully in the middle, not forward nor recessed and their soundstage is perfect. I guess I really am a treblehead:) The FXT-90s just sound muddy and conjested to me, although I've seen so many positive reviews about it, from you, joker, the appreciation thread and even i2ehan just rated the SQ 4/5, but the DBAs absolutely thrash them for me. Im looking to upgrade the DBAs( if its even possible). Are there any clear upgrades from them ( airy, forward and aggressive treble, detalied, mids , extremely fast bass, extended highs like them )? Or should I just reshell them? How do the re272s scale compared to them. Not interested in ER4s. Thanks!

If you like DBA-02 type of aggressiveness, I don't think you will prefer RE272 that much. RE272 isn't about extra fast and sharp treble, but about extension and refinement, presenting detail without pushing them into the listener's face. If you like DBA-02, I think top-end Audio Technica (CK10 and such) might be better for you.

May 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #48 of 115
Quote:
If you like DBA-02 type of aggressiveness, I don't think you will prefer RE272 that much. RE272 isn't about extra fast and sharp treble, but about extension and refinement, presenting detail without pushing them into the listener's face. If you like DBA-02, I think top-end Audio Technica (CK10 and such) might be better for you.

I've been eyeing them (CK10) for a long while, but they're already discontinued and I'm sure you're familiar with Jaben and Stereo, both of them don't carry them anymore. How do the CK100s compare?

May 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #49 of 115
Quote:
I vastly prefer StepDance over T5, but if you are asking me which one makes much better financial sense - it is T5 no doubt. StepDance is a great amp, but it is not twice over as good as T5. However, I never regret paying for StepDance. It is still a very good arounder.
I only stick to T series from iBasso, no idea how others sound like.

Pulled the trigger on Stepdance in For Sale thread. Hopefully it will be in my hand by the end of next week.

May 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #50 of 115
oh the madness of upgraditis
jecklinsmile.gif

if i hadn't bought an arrow 1g for 50 euros from Bennyboy , i would be lost too in this sea of madness

damn , this palce is a wallet-raper
Quote:
Pulled the trigger on Stepdance in For Sale thread. Hopefully it will be in my hand by the end of next week.

May 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #51 of 115
Quote:
oh the madness of upgraditis
jecklinsmile.gif

if i hadn't bought an arrow 1g for 50 euros from Bennyboy , i would be lost too in this sea of madness

damn , this palce is a wallet-raper

True. Had to choose wisely between few things I could afford.

Btw if you wish to sell your e-Q5 then do tell me.

May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #52 of 115
I've been eyeing them (CK10) for a long while, but they're already discontinued and I'm sure you're familiar with Jaben and Stereo, both of them don't carry them anymore. How do the CK100s compare?

Don't know much about CK100, but CK100 Pro is one of the best, if not the best universal IEM I have heard to date. Not much help for you, but if you want to aim high, might as well aim at the highest.

Do tell us what you think once you have a good listening.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #53 of 115
I have had the chance of having a borrowed pair of RE272 to listen to for the past month. Thanks Lachlan!

I must say the delicacy of this IEM is something really special. It definitely belongs to the top tier of universals and scales up wonderfully when driven by an amp with a good source. I have listened primarily with the 2Stepdance and as advocated on this thread, the combination is really addictive. The slight warmth of the 2step really adds some beautiful tonal colours to this IEM. 

Very nice indeed......................

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #54 of 115
Quote:
I have had the chance of having a borrowed pair of RE272 to listen to for the past month. Thanks Lachlan!

I must say the delicacy of this IEM is something really special. It definitely belongs to the top tier of universals and scales up wonderfully when driven by an amp with a good source. I have listened primarily with the 2Stepdance and as advocated on this thread, the combination is really addictive. The slight warmth of the 2step really adds some beautiful tonal colours to this IEM. 

Very nice indeed......................

I think it is a nearly perfect iem. If only it had a little bit more bass weight, it would be one of the best universals, if not the best (IMO). 

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #56 of 115
I think it is a nearly perfect iem. If only it had a little bit more bass weight, it would be one of the best universals, if not the best (IMO). 

I know I have said this in the review, but wait till you listen to it on a balanced / semi-balanced amp. :wink:

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #58 of 115
I am curious. What is a semi-balanced amp and a example of one? Many thanks!

Semi-balanced amp will be amps like Meier Audio Stepdance / 2Stepdance or iBasso T5. Instead of a full balanced amp, they uses active balanced ground, meaning the ground channel is actively balanced to the sum of left+right channels (only 3 channels are involved). Normal balanced amp will be the right channel is balanced to the right negative and the left is balanced to the left negative (4 channels). The down side of being semi-balanced is that it doesn't have the full benefit like a balanced amp. But the upside is you don't have to modify a normal headphone to 4 wire in order to have 4 channels. With a semi-balanced amp, any normal headphone can be used without mod. A really good semi-balanced amp like StepDance can also sound almost just as good as a real balanced amp.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #59 of 115
Oh Ok, gotcha................

I have the 2Stepdance plus the Triad L3 which is in a similar vein, I guess...............The 272 with the 2Stepdance is real nice, but I would still agree that it is still somewhat bass shy as mentioned by imackler.

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back