[REVIEW] HifiMan RE272 – the Purist
Jul 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #76 of 115
i don't think 262 and 272 are of the same sonic flavour - and i say this having both for quite some time (over 6 months)

262 is too much mid-dentric with too much rolled off highs which ends us beiing quite annoyin 272 is more balanced with TERRIFIC highs/clarity

272 also sounds fine without amping , while 262 needs a good amp to really shine

when my 262 broke i decided to go for the 272 and really i am more than happy for almost 1 year

272>>262 imho

cheers

I actually found both the 262 & 272 to be midcentric.  IME, it wasn't all that apparent with the RE272 until they burn in sufficiently.. cause out of the box, the mids were on the thinner side and the treble was simply jaw dropping.  Now that the 272 has filled out, so to speak.. the treble isn't as sparkly and bloomy as it was ootb.. it's remains magnificent in it's resolving ability, clarity, and detail.. but the midrange has taken on many of those same traits as the treble has smoothed.  The 262's ace is the tremendous midrange depth and tone.. the way it blends liquidity, air, and warmth is truly one of a kind.  The 272's midrange is nearly just as impressive.. though not as dynamic.  It is incredibly resolving, airy, and clear though.  This is why I think those who enjoy a neutral, monitor friendly sound might be more comfortable with the 272's more neutral midrange than the 262's midrange.. which is warm like in some monitors.. but ultimately quite colored (plus, there's a bit of resonance in the upper mids that cause a spike with certain vocals).

Patiently waiting to sell my um2 to give these a try. I really miss the re0 treble and it seems it's pretty special on these too. Should be a great match for the ultra transparent leckerton uha-6.

Looking forward to you getting them & your impressions (especially with the UHA-6 MKII).  The 272 is bright.. but not quite in the same way the RE0 was.  For me, the blend air, smoothness, and sparkle was the RE0 treble's main draw.. the 272 has more of a lower treble emphasis than the RE0 did (going off memory here) and less outright sparkle.. but it's even more resolving, multi-dimensional, clear.. and the soundstage is fantastic (admittedly a weakness in the RE0).

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #77 of 115
Just got my RE-272.  It sounds pretty good so far, akin to a bass reduced (Ipod Eq) IE80 or FX700 without the annoying, increased sharpness in treble.  I'm liking it so far.  Stock tips (large) fit perfectly also.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #80 of 115
^^lol....certainly a great set of IEM for those who crave for unparalleled clarity with no noticeable coloring, in the given price bracket.

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #82 of 115
too bad so many people will never get to listen to these and stick to safer ,more advertised (but not better) iems like er4/gr07/tf10

too bad.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #83 of 115
I'm waiting for Head-Direct to ship me the 272 upgrade! They received my perfectly boxed 262's last Wednesday at the Flushing, Queens facility. It's apparently a one-person operation handling the local comings and goings here in the United States.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #85 of 115
I would personally prefer TF10 over RE272 for movie just because TF10 has bigger bass and wider soundstage, which are what matter in movie. Vocal is less so, unless you are watching musical.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #86 of 115
Is RE272 better than UE TripleFi 10 for movies ?  I want good bass extend and forward vocal.   

The RE272 can't deliver the bass, dynamics, and rumble that movies demand.  You'll hear plenty of vocal clarity (among the best).. but there isn't enough meat, IMO, in the lower mids & upper bass to deliver a satisfying movie listening experience.  Using the RE272 for listening to music is an entirely different discussion, though.. gorgeous & vivid are words that come to my mind when it comes describing how it presents for music.  Its spectacular for nearly everything except hip hop, jungle/DnB, electronica.. and other bass heavy, modern genres.

I don't even think the TF.10 would be all that great for movies.. I haven't heard them, but I'd venture a guess that it's v-shaped sig can't portray vocals as accurately as I might desire.  The GR07 was one of my favorite phones to use with movies.  Excellent balance, clarity, extensions, speed, and imaging.  Plus, it can deliver ample sub bass quality & quantity when called upon..

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #87 of 115
Do movies require extensive dynamic range?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #88 of 115
Do movies require extensive dynamic range?

Require? Probably not.. benefit from?  Yes.  Considering many movies are filled with dynamic sounds, orchestral backdrops, and numerous other sound artifacts.. phones with good dynamic range would bring a deep, lifelike quality to the presentation of sound.  Despite the GR07 MKI not excelling in dynamic range (they're not extremely compressed & still have good DR.. just not as dynamic as I would've liked), they possessed excellent timbre and balance that made listening to movies a real treat.  Plus, that clean, effortless sub bass gave the sense of being right in the theatre, too.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #89 of 115
There is one thing I thibk GR07 isn't good at, and it is its short in depth of field reproduction. I will rather have a fun sound like the TF10 that places the reporduction of soundstage over overall correctness of sound reproduction. Afterall, accuracy isn't something I'll be looking for in a movie.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #90 of 115
i don't think listening to movies require a great IEM - it's like listening to music from 128 kbps mp3 in a way

just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back