REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 7, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #241 of 1,534

Quote:
Well,

This morning, I've tried for the first time to charge my device, and now, I went into a lot of new disapointments. The 601 goes even more crazy. It erased everything on the SD card, it shuts off after 10 seconds, I have to press power 10 times before it actually boots up and freezes again.

And will I send it back to China ? Of course not. First, there is 50% chances for it to get lost. second, it will cost an arm. Third, it will takes weeks to be settled.

By the time I reach the end of this message, I've realized that it actually doesn't boot anymore. It's dead.

If you guys have one that is fully functional, you are very lucky. I am really sad because I definitely wanted this player. But now I'm stuck with a useless piece of plastic.

I cant say anything about the quality of the product or the sound since I haven't heard it but your email just doesn't make sense...
so you are not willing to send it back and write off the money paid for it as a loss??
50% chance for getting it lost during mail? cost an arm?? 
Where the hell are you sending them from?? just send insured mail, and if it gets lost you can claim it, which is better than keeping it as a paper weight and loosing ~$400...
and if you are not confident on the product, just send it back as you have 30 day money back return option. worse case, you will be out of one way mail cost...

I think you are wayyyyy exaggerating...

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #242 of 1,534
In that case, you should contact Head-Direct first. Sending stuff to China shouldn't really cost a lot if you do registered mail, in case you do decide to send it back.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #243 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
Well,

This morning, I've tried for the first time to charge my device, and now, I went into a lot of new disapointments. The 601 goes even more crazy. It erased everything on the SD card, it shuts off after 10 seconds, I have to press power 10 times before it actually boots up and freezes again.

And will I send it back to China ? Of course not. First, there is 50% chances for it to get lost. second, it will cost an arm. Third, it will takes weeks to be settled.

By the time I reach the end of this message, I've realized that it actually doesn't boot anymore. It's dead.

If you guys have one that is fully functional, you are very lucky. I am really sad because I definitely wanted this player. But now I'm stuck with a useless piece of plastic.

I cant say anything about the quality of the product or the sound since I haven't heard it but your email just doesn't make sense...
so you are not willing to send it back and write off the money paid for it as a loss??
50% chance for getting it lost during mail? cost an arm?? 
Where the hell are you sending them from?? just send insured mail, and if it gets lost you can claim it, which is better than keeping it as a paper weight and loosing ~$400...
and if you are not confident on the product, just send it back as you have 30 day money back return option. worse case, you will be out of one way mail cost...

I think you are wayyyyy exaggerating...

You are certainly right. It's just that it's happening right now and I'm really disappointed...

(I've found that there is like a bad contact on the charging slot)

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #244 of 1,534

Quote:

You are certainly right. It's just that it's happening right now and I'm really disappointed...

(I've found that there is like a bad contact on the charging slot)

I can see your point about being disappointed. I get in that mood myself sometimes..
sorry to hear about your 601 not working properly...

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #245 of 1,534
I've tightened the plug of the charger and even though the metal piece is a bit loose, it seems to establish the contact with the 601.

I hope it will be sufficient to solve the charging issue.

And by the way, thank you guys for your feedback.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #246 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
What 32gb sdhc card are you using? I haven't had a issue with my sdhc card so I would try using different cards. Also what jack extension are you talking about? My 601 didn't come with any jack extension.

Using a Verbatim class6 SDHC 32GB card. I'm pretty upset at the moment actually. After the 601 stopped reading files off it, I went ahead and tried to pull my flac files from the card. Well, my computer was unable to open the SD partition at all. This is on a win7 machine. So, I tried it on my laptops card reader (XP), and same thing. It shows up as an empty card that cannot be opened. Great, so the card data has somehow been wiped completely. So, I try to format the card and BAM!

"Unable to format card"

I try this from another machine...same error. Wow, so now I'm out of a 32GB SDHC card that cost me a pretty penny. I'm going to the store this afternoon and pick up an inexpensive 8gb or 16gb card and try this out again.

The jack extension is a black 3" cable that has a male and female 3.5 mm jack on it. I cannot use IEMs directly into the 601's audio jack unless I have this extension connected to it (I get no sound at all when connected directly to the audio jack). Of the 3 full sized headphones I used, audio either goes to the left or no audio at all. If I use the cable extension, it works fine, just like my IEMs.

Have to say, you guys writing and reading to SD cards via your devices and desktop are asking for trouble.  No matter who makes the device it's only a matter of time before it fails to undock and stays running due to system lag, driver issues or whatever.  Then you physically unplug your device while connected and Sayonarra!  Use a an separate reader, save yourself the trouble.  You aren't gaining efficiency wiping your cards and damaging them.

Quote:
Since we're on the topic, anybody have a suggestion for the type of 16GB SDHC card will work nice with my new HM-601?    I got a notice that I will be getting mine tomorrow, I'm excited
gs1000.gif

Polaroid 16GB by PNY.  Not one failure or compatability issue in 5 different cards.  Ever!

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #247 of 1,534
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If I got the 601, would I need an amp for an all portable system?

In most case with low impedance and high sensitivity headphone, you don't need an extra amp.

Quote:
I want some closed full size headphones like Dt880, AKG 702s, etc....  If I splurged, how about some Hifiman He-5s?? 
smily_headphones1.gif

DT880, K702 and HE5 - neither of these 'phone are closed - meaning they are not going to provide enough isolation outdoor.

Not only that, those things are beasts (in size). And I challenge you to drive the k70x with a portable amp. I would highly suggest smaller, easier to drive phones and doing a little research on portable phones first.

As earlier mentioned in this thread I got the AKG K-701 and it really sounds fantastic to me with the HM-602. The K-701 is 62 ohms and 105 dB. No problems getting it loud enough. I play rock/pop/funk/jazz tracks at maximum 6, but for classical tracks I turn up to 8 or 10(max). I am not saying the K-701 plays to its fullest abilities with the built-in amp, but does play them so well, that I would say the 602 / K-701 combo sounds beautiful as a portable set. However the K-701 is an open headphone.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #248 of 1,534

Quote:
Have to say, you guys writing and reading to SD cards via your devices and desktop are asking for trouble.  No matter who makes the device it's only a matter of time before it fails to undock and stays running due to system lag, driver issues or whatever.  Then you physically unplug your device while connected and Sayonarra!  Use a an separate reader, save yourself the trouble.  You aren't gaining efficiency wiping your cards and damaging them.

I'm actually using my netbook to transfer files and such. I would never use the 601 to transfer considering how slow it is. I think I got around 2mb/s which is much slower than my netbook. If I had a 16GB and used the 601 reader that would take way too long. The 2GB internal memory was bad enough :p I'll have to get a 16GB card down the line but I'm fine with 8GB for now and too lazy to go out and buy one unless I see a real good price.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #249 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
What 32gb sdhc card are you using? I haven't had a issue with my sdhc card so I would try using different cards. Also what jack extension are you talking about? My 601 didn't come with any jack extension.

Using a Verbatim class6 SDHC 32GB card. I'm pretty upset at the moment actually. After the 601 stopped reading files off it, I went ahead and tried to pull my flac files from the card. Well, my computer was unable to open the SD partition at all. This is on a win7 machine. So, I tried it on my laptops card reader (XP), and same thing. It shows up as an empty card that cannot be opened. Great, so the card data has somehow been wiped completely. So, I try to format the card and BAM!

"Unable to format card"

I try this from another machine...same error. Wow, so now I'm out of a 32GB SDHC card that cost me a pretty penny. I'm going to the store this afternoon and pick up an inexpensive 8gb or 16gb card and try this out again.

The jack extension is a black 3" cable that has a male and female 3.5 mm jack on it. I cannot use IEMs directly into the 601's audio jack unless I have this extension connected to it (I get no sound at all when connected directly to the audio jack). Of the 3 full sized headphones I used, audio either goes to the left or no audio at all. If I use the cable extension, it works fine, just like my IEMs.

Head-Direct / HiFiMAN says that class 4 is the highest that works. In other words - your class 6 SDHC card is not (fully) compatible.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #250 of 1,534
@ rawrster
Really looking forward to reading your Cowon J3 - HM-601 comparison
popcorn.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #251 of 1,534
I doubt that ever happens. For some reason I haven't been able to use both of them at the same time. Whenever I've wanted to compare the 601 ran out of juice although that's my fault. I charged it and then forgot to turn it off after it was fully charged so when the morning came the battery fully discharged again such as this morning when I wanted to use the 601. Luckily I have my J3 with a much better battery so was able to listen to something on my commute this morning.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #252 of 1,534
Quote:
I doubt that ever happens. For some reason I haven't been able to use both of them at the same time. Whenever I've wanted to compare the 601 ran out of juice although that's my fault. I charged it and then forgot to turn it off after it was fully charged so when the morning came the battery fully discharged again such as this morning when I wanted to use the 601. Luckily I have my J3 with a much better battery so was able to listen to something on my commute this morning.

Hmmm. That was a disapointment
frown.gif

Maybe with a little luck?
I originally wanted to get the Cowon J3, but then ordered the HM-602, so I hoped to see your comparison ...

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #253 of 1,534
I'll see if I can do a quick comparison sometime later this week or the weekend but I have a good idea how it's going to turn out :)

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #254 of 1,534
Am I really the only one having problems with the .ape and the .cue files ? I cannot read 90% of them, even from the SD card (the internal memory is pretty useless, even mp3 gets unrecognised from it !).

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have a Mac and not a PC...

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #255 of 1,534
stanalexis-  First off, glad to hear that your dead HM601 is working again.  Are you saying that the HM601 does not recognise MP3 files from the internal flash memory of the DAP?

If that is the case, it does sound like you may have a faulty unit, I would seriously consider contacting Head Direct for return.  Or perhaps someone with greater MAC insight than me may be able to answer why you are experiencing problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back