REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #211 of 1,534
The gaps are quite large and very annoying to me, but I've come to grips with this: for some reason, no company beside Apple seem to care about true gapless. It is hard listenig to live DJ shows, MTV lives, end to end recordings... overall, I am disappointed with the lack of gapless. 

As for the Clip and 601 - yes, the sound is noticeable. Even if you could emulate the low pass filter in the clip, you'd lose it with the low end and upper bass and lower mid pedal to the metal sound. The overall presentation is softer and comfortable. While the clip is good, it isn't really aiming for the same sort of sound or the same listener, so I think the question, in a way, is silly. I own Clip, Fuze, Sony A828, A845, Gumstick (okay, borrowing endlessly), iPod touch 2G/4G, shuffle 1/5, had the S:Flo2 and... nothing else at the moment.

For the music that the 601 rocks at, there isn't competition especially with the CK10 and ER4s.

Quote:
i just noticed that this thing has no gapless.completely unacceptable for a high end dap like this one.gapless is important to me because i listen mainly to trance and ambient on the move.
that combined with terrible battery life and the unhelpfull email i got from Mrs T broke the deal for me.

regardless of this,will the price drop after winter or what?i dont need the re-zero wheather it is good or not so will the price drop by $100 int the future?

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #212 of 1,534
The player not being gapless doesn't bother me too much. I've come down to it that if I want gapless I'll have the album made into just one track. As for price whenever the bundle is over the price probably goes up a bit and doesn't come with the RE-Zero. That's how they work. it doesn't get cheaper.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #213 of 1,534
That's exciting to hear, since I have the 601 coming next week. I own the Touch 3G, Classic 160GB (7G), a Clip+, a Zune80, but just sold my Sony S545. I am looking forward to using the 601 as a home player, more than a portable one, paired with my JH5s and Grados.

Quote:
The gaps are quite large and very annoying to me, but I've come to grips with this: for some reason, no company beside Apple seem to care about true gapless. It is hard listenig to live DJ shows, MTV lives, end to end recordings... overall, I am disappointed with the lack of gapless. 

As for the Clip and 601 - yes, the sound is noticeable. Even if you could emulate the low pass filter in the clip, you'd lose it with the low end and upper bass and lower mid pedal to the metal sound. The overall presentation is softer and comfortable. While the clip is good, it isn't really aiming for the same sort of sound or the same listener, so I think the question, in a way, is silly. I own Clip, Fuze, Sony A828, A845, Gumstick (okay, borrowing endlessly), iPod touch 2G/4G, shuffle 1/5, had the S:Flo2 and... nothing else at the moment.

For the music that the 601 rocks at, there isn't competition especially with the CK10 and ER4s.

Quote:
i just noticed that this thing has no gapless.completely unacceptable for a high end dap like this one.gapless is important to me because i listen mainly to trance and ambient on the move.
that combined with terrible battery life and the unhelpfull email i got from Mrs T broke the deal for me.

regardless of this,will the price drop after winter or what?i dont need the re-zero wheather it is good or not so will the price drop by $100 int the future?

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #214 of 1,534

Quote:
That's exciting to hear, since I have the 601 coming next week. I own the Touch 3G, Classic 160GB (7G), a Clip+, a Zune80, but just sold my Sony S545. I am looking forward to using the 601 as a home player, more than a portable one, paired with my JH5s and Grados.

Has anyone heard this with grados yet? if not looking forward to your impressions pellegrino10

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #215 of 1,534

Quote:

Quote:

Has anyone heard this with grados yet? if not looking forward to your impressions pellegrino10

It seems like in theory it could be a good match, since many people say Grados have too-strong highs, and supposedly the highs of the Hifiman players are rolled off somewhat.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #217 of 1,534
I've used it with Gradio SR125 - great pair. You really get the Grado driver sound, which must be thicker or something than other drivers as it is really sweet with the 601. The grado I used was partially modded and heavily used, but I am familiar with it and it sounded great.

Quote:

Quote:

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #218 of 1,534
How is it with the SB FADs? Seems like it would be a good pairing due to the sharp highs. 

Also really interested in how you think they fare with the FX500s, as it seems to be a really good match. The 602 makes my v shaped meelec m9s sound substantially better than before, which is really unexpected. The FX500s with the 602 sounds like a pairing I may try for classical/jazz. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #219 of 1,534
Ok guys on the fence right now!!!

If I got the 601, would I need an amp for an all portable system?

I want some closed full size headphones like Dt880, AKG 702s, etc....  If I splurged, how about some Hifiman He-5s?? 
smily_headphones1.gif

What are some headphones the compliment this without the need for an amp.  I listen to mostly blues, jazz, classic R&B.

Also how fast does he ship?

Thanks for any help.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #220 of 1,534
Quote:

In most case with low impedance and high sensitivity headphone, you don't need an extra amp.

Quote:
I want some closed full size headphones like Dt880, AKG 702s, etc....  If I splurged, how about some Hifiman He-5s?? 
smily_headphones1.gif

DT880, K702 and HE5 - neither of these 'phone are closed - meaning they are not going to provide enough isolation outdoor.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #221 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

In most case with low impedance and high sensitivity headphone, you don't need an extra amp.

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

DT880, K702 and HE5 - neither of these 'phone are closed - meaning they are not going to provide enough isolation outdoor.

Not only that, those things are beasts (in size). And I challenge you to drive the k70x with a portable amp. I would highly suggest smaller, easier to drive phones and doing a little research on portable phones first.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #222 of 1,534

Quote:
How is it with the SB FADs? Seems like it would be a good pairing due to the sharp highs. 

Also really interested in how you think they fare with the FX500s, as it seems to be a really good match. The 602 makes my v shaped meelec m9s sound substantially better than before, which is really unexpected. The FX500s with the 602 sounds like a pairing I may try for classical/jazz. 

That definitely is pretty surprising if it makes the M9 that much better.

I'll say that the quality of the 601 is pretty surprising to me. I wasn't expecting as big of a difference as I got compared to my J3 which I really do like. The 601 isn't as practical as the J3 however but I knew that when I bought the 601. Sound wise the 601 makes up for it as it sounds great and I haven't had the desire to add in a portable amp which is good for me.

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #223 of 1,534
I think the m9/602 fare really well together because they complement each other's signatures. 

The 601 made the mids on the m9s thicker and a bit more forward and controlled harshness on the highs. The bass has a lot of texture, but while it does get intrusive of the mids at times, it still  does pretty damn well. Of course it doesn't make it better than the Silver Bullets all of a sudden, but it does a lot better compared to before. I remember it helping the sound signature of the HJE900s, but the improvement of the M9s is much more noticeable. 

This is compared to the SFlo2. The clip+ and newest touch don't stand a chance for me. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #224 of 1,534

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Not only that, those things are beasts (in size). And I challenge you to drive the k70x with a portable amp. I would highly suggest smaller, easier to drive phones and doing a little research on portable phones first.

I think you guys are right...more research needed on my part.

Any suggestions on phones that mate well with this DAP?

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #225 of 1,534
Has anyone tried dt990/600 with the 601 yet? Its completely unuseable on mine.

Some other issues ive noticed:

-the 32gb sdhc card im using initially had issues being read upon startup. I had to re-sit the card every time. Now, it no longer reads the card at all. Ill have to test other cards i guess
-i am unable to use various 3.5mm headphones and iem's directly into the audio jack ...either the sound goes to only one side or no sound at all. It works fine when using the included jack extension.
-does not play some of myHD Tracks albums...no biggie though

I apologize if these issues have already been addressed elsewhere. I plan to send these problems to Fang as i hope this is a hardware issue.

Unfortunately, my 601 is unusable for the time being. I'm going to hold off on my video review until these issues have been sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back