REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #226 of 1,534
What 32gb sdhc card are you using? I haven't had a issue with my sdhc card so I would try using different cards. Also what jack extension are you talking about? My 601 didn't come with any jack extension.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #227 of 1,534

Quote:

Quote:
That's exciting to hear, since I have the 601 coming next week. I own the Touch 3G, Classic 160GB (7G), a Clip+, a Zune80, but just sold my Sony S545. I am looking forward to using the 601 as a home player, more than a portable one, paired with my JH5s and Grados.

Has anyone heard this with grados yet? if not looking forward to your impressions pellegrino10

I enjoyed my 602-->Arrow-->RS1 quite a bit.  Nice match.  I bet it would sound nice w/ the 325 and perhaps less so the HF2 if I had to guess.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #228 of 1,534
Not sure if this was confirmed before, but can a 601/602 be played while being charged? This would definitely be important in the car.

In fact, is it even possible to charge it in the car? I'm hoping a USB cable plugged into a power adapter, similarly to the way you'd charge most DAP's in the car, would work...

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #229 of 1,534

Quote:
Not sure if this was confirmed before, but can a 601/602 be played while being charged? This would definitely be important in the car.

In fact, is it even possible to charge it in the car? I'm hoping a USB cable plugged into a power adapter, similarly to the way you'd charge most DAP's in the car, would work...

I have charged a HM602 (with an USB power pack and USB adapter) while using it before.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #230 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
That's exciting to hear, since I have the 601 coming next week. I own the Touch 3G, Classic 160GB (7G), a Clip+, a Zune80, but just sold my Sony S545. I am looking forward to using the 601 as a home player, more than a portable one, paired with my JH5s and Grados.

Has anyone heard this with grados yet? if not looking forward to your impressions pellegrino10

I enjoyed my 602-->Arrow-->RS1 quite a bit.  Nice match.  I bet it would sound nice w/ the 325 and perhaps less so the HF2 if I had to guess.

yes... I did try a brief with HF2... not a good match...

602 sounds good driving leaner Sennheiser like HD580/600 or even HD800..
and it is no way of capable driving Hifiman's own phones (HE-6) which are too heavy for it...

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #231 of 1,534
Hello. The SB's are good with the 601, but I think the A1 are a bit better. Oddly enough, the SB (to these ears) is actually most at control when presented with a non-passed source like a DACPort, iPod, or studio monitor. Somehow, I think they were designed for that resolution bit in their mouth. Now, the A1, which is almost the same, happens to sound a bit more coherent with the 601. The FX500, while great, is half-broken because my wife sucked the filter and then stuffed it back in. As long as I can pull the filter back out, I can report on the FX500, but the short listen I had last week did reveal some very nice low tones, but the highs were messed thanks to the filter.

Quote:
How is it with the SB FADs? Seems like it would be a good pairing due to the sharp highs. 

Also really interested in how you think they fare with the FX500s, as it seems to be a really good match. The 602 makes my v shaped meelec m9s sound substantially better than before, which is really unexpected. The FX500s with the 602 sounds like a pairing I may try for classical/jazz. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #232 of 1,534

Quote:
What 32gb sdhc card are you using? I haven't had a issue with my sdhc card so I would try using different cards. Also what jack extension are you talking about? My 601 didn't come with any jack extension.

Using a Verbatim class6 SDHC 32GB card. I'm pretty upset at the moment actually. After the 601 stopped reading files off it, I went ahead and tried to pull my flac files from the card. Well, my computer was unable to open the SD partition at all. This is on a win7 machine. So, I tried it on my laptops card reader (XP), and same thing. It shows up as an empty card that cannot be opened. Great, so the card data has somehow been wiped completely. So, I try to format the card and BAM!

"Unable to format card"

I try this from another machine...same error. Wow, so now I'm out of a 32GB SDHC card that cost me a pretty penny. I'm going to the store this afternoon and pick up an inexpensive 8gb or 16gb card and try this out again.

The jack extension is a black 3" cable that has a male and female 3.5 mm jack on it. I cannot use IEMs directly into the 601's audio jack unless I have this extension connected to it (I get no sound at all when connected directly to the audio jack). Of the 3 full sized headphones I used, audio either goes to the left or no audio at all. If I use the cable extension, it works fine, just like my IEMs.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #234 of 1,534
Since we're on the topic, anybody have a suggestion for the type of 16GB SDHC card will work nice with my new HM-601?    I got a notice that I will be getting mine tomorrow, I'm excited
gs1000.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #235 of 1,534
I guess the 601 is pretty sensitive to other devices and more than I originally thought. On my way out of the subway this morning I was hearing some kind of strange noise and I used the mute button. To my surprise it was picking up radio stations and during the breaks and such I was hearing some of that radio for a bit.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #237 of 1,534
Hi everyone,

I own a 601 and have a few questions:

. do you know where and how we can download the new firmwares ? There is no indication on their website...

. do you know why it can't read most of the .ape files ?

. do you know why it can't read most of the .cue files ? Almost everytime I try one, the player freezes. It's very annoying... Is there a way to create 601 complient cue files ?

Apart from a very good sound quality, I think this player is very faulty, with a 1960's interface and a lot of bugs which should have already been solved by now, but are not ! By the way, the battery is not so bad as it seems.

Thanks in advance.

Stanalexis.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #239 of 1,534
Quote:
. do you know where and how we can download the new firmwares ? There is no indication on their website...
Firmware update will be announced in the Head-Direct sponsor forum, do check it out time to time. You 601 should have the latest firmware.

. do you know why it can't read most of the .ape files ?
I can play .ape just fine, given that 601 and my 602 uses the same firmware. U suspect it is likely your APE files has odd ID3tag that the player won't read. Try using the simplest tag possible or transcode it to FLAC.

. do you know why it can't read most of the .cue files ? Almost everytime I try one, the player freezes. It's very annoying... Is there a way to create 601 complient cue files ?
Again, I have no problem with CUE on mine. Make sure your cue is correct (I use Easy CD-DA Extractor to generate CUE). If the file that the cue sheet is pointing to can't be read and cause freeze, then it will appear that the cue sheet is causing the freeze, which it is not.

FLAC has better support on HifiMan than APE. Since both are lossless, I'll suggest you switch to FLAC for now.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #240 of 1,534
Well,

This morning, I've tried for the first time to charge my device, and now, I went into a lot of new disapointments. The 601 goes even more crazy. It erased everything on the SD card, it shuts off after 10 seconds, I have to press power 10 times before it actually boots up and freezes again.

And will I send it back to China ? Of course not. First, there is 50% chances for it to get lost. second, it will cost an arm. Third, it will takes weeks to be settled.

By the time I reach the end of this message, I've realized that it actually doesn't boot anymore. It's dead.

If you guys have one that is fully functional, you are very lucky. I am really sad because I definitely wanted this player. But now I'm stuck with a useless piece of plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back