[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Nov 5, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,966 of 2,011
Perhaps I live in an alternate forum universe, but I've always noticed drastic changes of opinion among Head-fi membs. 

Correct me if I'm dung, but when it comes to sonic aesthetics, isn't honesty preferable to discretion? We have enough politics to negotiate without there being a politics of subjective sound.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,969 of 2,011
Looks like my pair crapped out again exactly the same as I sent it in for a few months ago, it's loose in the casing itself again and cuts sound in/out when I tap on it.

Just going to toss these things in the garbage. It was bad enough that when they repaired them the first time they came back all scraped and beat up when I got them back. Barely use them and definitely haven't stressed them.. just poor build quality on my pair.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #1,970 of 2,011
@Elanzer, its kinda late, but hey, dont throw them out. Somebody mite be needing them at a low price. It would be better than just throwing them away right? Sell them broken, those interested can get the cable repaired if broken, or sell with the warranty. They get them replaced themselves....dont waste a lovely pair of IEMs bro....wish i had the money to get urs...would have repaired them.

Regards

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #1,971 of 2,011
Bro, thanks for your review here. Since with my budget around $100, I have Sony XBA-1 in mind but since reading this review, would you say its a good choice to favor RE-0?

Thank you.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #1,972 of 2,011
Bro, thanks for your review here. Since with my budget around $100, I have Sony XBA-1 in mind but since reading this review, would you say its a good choice to favor RE-0?

Thank you.

Can't really say much since I have yet to listen to XBA-1, though I might have the chance to review it in the next few weeks.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,974 of 2,011
I have Etymotic HF5 for one month now and listening to it 4-5 hours everyday. Although I like the over-all sound, but when compared to my broken RE0 (right ear stopped working) I still prefer the later.

IMHO REO is a very enjoyable IEM compared to a slight boring sound(flat detailed) HF5.

Newbie here and i cannot yet described audiophile terms. What I love about REO are treble extension, timbre and has more air plus noticeable better vocals compared to HF5. 

I wanted to purchase another REO from Head-Direct but i'll be more careful this time. I hope fellow HEAD-FIer will inform us here that if they have new batch(2012) of REO, it does have the strict build quality standards. 

Im from the Philippines and if I shipped back a dead REO i will cost me $68 plus the cost of shipping it back here. 

Maybe the great Clieos have an idea. Many thanks...

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,975 of 2,011

Quote:
I have Etymotic HF5 for one month now and listening to it 4-5 hours everyday. Although I like the over-all sound, but when compared to my broken RE0 (right ear stopped working) I still prefer the later.

IMHO REO is a very enjoyable IEM compared to a slight boring sound(flat detailed) HF5.

Newbie here and i cannot yet described audiophile terms. What I love about REO are treble extension, timbre and has more air plus noticeable better vocals compared to HF5. 

I wanted to purchase another REO from Head-Direct but i'll be more careful this time. I hope fellow HEAD-FIer will inform us here that if they have new batch(2012) of REO, it does have the strict build quality standards. 

Im from the Philippines and if I shipped back a dead REO i will cost me $68 plus the cost of shipping it back here. 

Maybe the great Clieos have an idea. Many thanks...

I actually am like you and prefer the RE0 over the HF-series (it's a shame mine are dead too) :frowning2:  My reasons were a little different though as the delicacy of the bass texturing was a little better with the RE0 over the HFs to me.  Treble was also a lot better as well. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #1,976 of 2,011

Quote:
I actually am like you and prefer the RE0 over the HF-series (it's a shame mine are dead too) :frowning2:  My reasons were a little different though as the delicacy of the bass texturing was a little better with the RE0 over the HFs to me.  Treble was also a lot better as well. 

I agree with you entirely, specially on build quality issue ...
Another plus for REO for me is that you can easily fit it, like, put it in put in out in your ear with no extra move/care or whatsoever, Unlike Etys to get a good isolation you have to lift your upper ear a bit and insert it.

I can sleep(any position) enjoying the sound of REO with no problem but with Etys sleeping sideways will push them to your ear more and because its so tiny, it tickles a little bit. So REO overall.

I wish the build quality wasn't that fragile. I really miss REO.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #1,977 of 2,011
Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead, but I saw that Headphonic are selling the RE0s again unpackaged so couldn't resist in ordering a pair for $40AUD delivered. From memory I liked these alot until the housing came apart (which I glued back) then the jack end started having problems. I hope they sound as good as my memory, but it may be just the case of "fond memories" and actually not good anymore, like going back to play some of old favourite video games (such as scorched earth, which I did recently) and thought, what the hell is this. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #1,978 of 2,011
  Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead, but I saw that Headphonic are selling the RE0s again unpackaged so couldn't resist in ordering a pair for $40AUD delivered. From memory I liked these alot until the housing came apart (which I glued back) then the jack end started having problems. I hope they sound as good as my memory, but it may be just the case of "fond memories" and actually not good anymore, like going back to play some of old favourite video games (such as scorched earth, which I did recently) and thought, what the hell is this. 

I ordered a pair this evening as well. (before reading this) 
biggrin.gif
 I was speaking about these in the Colorfly C3 thread.

How did you come across them?

I'm really interested in how they perform with my Studio V players. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,979 of 2,011
I ordered a pair this evening as well. (before reading this) :D  I was speaking about these in the Colorfly C3 thread.

How did you come across them?

I'm really interested in how they perform with my Studio V players. 

I came across them while doing my RMA for my third pair of RE400s with Headphonic. Side note: they are really good.

While looking for some information I was just browsing to see what they had on offer and low and behold, they were there. I actually rubbed my eyes to see if it was a de ja vu moment but no it was really. For $40 I couldn't resist hearing them again

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,980 of 2,011
I came across them while doing my RMA for my third pair of RE400s with Headphonic. Side note: they are really good.

While looking for some information I was just browsing to see what they had on offer and low and behold, they were there. I actually rubbed my eyes to see if it was a de ja vu moment but no it was really. For $40 I couldn't resist hearing them again

Haha, I was actually there looking at some DAP's for someone giving a recommendation and thought I'd hover around and check out some items.

There they were! I've owned a pair in the past but not since a few nice source upgrades, so more than welcome back.

I agree they sounded great when I had them, I never found the treble as detailed as people say on that pair though.

Lets meet back here when they arrive and get this party started. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back