[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Apr 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,442 of 2,011
Hello Customer,

actually all RE0 we are selling is newest version.
There are three different version RE0:
Oldest version: PVC plastic cable, very bad defective rate
2nd version: fabric cable make much worse noise, and defective rate is still bad
new version : PPE plastic cable and L shape mini plug. Better soundstage and much better defective rate

Kindest regards,

Ms. T.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,444 of 2,011
Those are paperfilters. Prevents earwax coming into your precious RE0.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #1,447 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitargeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do I perform the foam mod for the newest re0? I just received mine. I took out the tips, and I just see the black paper filter.

With a pair of fine point tweezers, carefully pull off the black filter and set it aside. Then you will be able to see the white foam piece inside the nozzle. Pinch it out and replace the black filter and your eartip. Done!

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,448 of 2,011
I'm thinking of getting the RE0 to replace my dying im716. From other posts, it seems many prefer the SQ of the REO, although it may be a matter of taste.

How is the REO compared to the im716 in terms of isolation and volume? Likely source is an ipod (or the like) unamped. I mostly listen to progressive rock, hard rock/metal and older jazz.

Any other comparison comments?

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #1,449 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of getting the RE0 to replace my dying im716. From other posts, it seems many prefer the SQ of the REO, although it may be a matter of taste.

How is the REO compared to the im716 in terms of isolation and volume? Likely source is an ipod (or the like) unamped. I mostly listen to progressive rock, hard rock/metal and older jazz.

Any other comparison comments?

RE0 won't isolate as well, but in sound quality, it is head and shoulders above the im716.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #1,451 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 won't isolate as well, but in sound quality, it is head and shoulders above the im716.

A bit worse or night and day?

Also, approximately how loud is the RE0 compared to the im716, assuming same input?

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #1,452 of 2,011
I've now got 12 hours of burn in on my new RE0's and I already lost one biflange and one black flange. Dang it. HeadDirect only sells a kit with both pair of bi-flange and more filters for $15. Any clues on how to get more of the black flanges?

BTW, I am enjoying the RE0's out of the FiiO E5 mating with my 2nd gen Shuffle...very portable. (See profile pic).

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #1,453 of 2,011
Quote:

A bit worse or night and day?

Also, approximately how loud is the RE0 compared to the im716, assuming same input?

im716 sounds very dry and artificial IMO with a closed in soundstage, metallic treble and very weak bass. RE0 sounds much fuller, richer, with more bass and much better detail resolution and treble extension. Personally, I couldn't stand im716, but I love the RE0.

BTW, some people claim that im716 is close to Etymotic ER4 in sound quality. That is not true IMO - even ER6 sounds better to my ears that the im716. But to each their own of course.

Regarding efficiency, both im716 and RE0 need an amp to sound their best, but RE0 sounds better unamped than im716 amped IMO. You shouldn't have problems getting the RE0 loud enough even out of weak sources, but for best sound quality with the most controlled bass response and best detail, you do need to amp them.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,454 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding efficiency, both im716 and RE0 need an amp to sound their best, but RE0 sounds better unamped than im716 amped IMO. You shouldn't have problems getting the RE0 loud enough even out of weak sources, but for best sound quality with the most controlled bass response and best detail, you do need to amp them.

One major use for me is on airplanes, so I'm trying to figure out if the RE0 will have enough isolation and volume out of a weak source (such as an ipod or the like), even if unamped. The im716 is far from perfect, but I find it perfectly adequate for this with biflanges or the right foamies.

The SQ improvement would be very nice.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #1,455 of 2,011
Quote:

One major use for me is on airplanes, so I'm trying to figure out if the RE0 will have enough isolation and volume out of a weak source (such as an ipod or the like), even if unamped. The im716 is far from perfect, but I find it perfectly adequate for this with biflanges or the right foamies.

The SQ improvement would be very nice.
smile_phones.gif

If you are going to use the phones on planes a lot, then I am not sure if RE0 will satisfy you, because its isolation may not be good enough. I think you may be better off getting something like Soundmagic PL50, although I am not sure if it will be much of an improvement over the im716 in sound quality. But sound is so subjective anyways. Like I said, to my ears ER6i sounds better than im716, but I am sure most people will disagree with me. UE Super.fi 3 is also another great sounding cheap IEM that I much prefer to the im716 - it sounds much fuller and realistic to me than im716 and will also provide sufficient isolation on a plane. RE0 is definitely the best sounding of all the other IEMs I mentioned here and if you don't mind sacrificing some isolation on the plane, RE0 will give you the best bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back