[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Feb 21, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #1,201 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by delonicdevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried my friend's IE8 and i must say re0 is not very far off in terms of SQ from IE8. A real deal. IE8 is much bassier but i find it a little harsh thou.

I own the RE0 and like them very much. I think they are the best deal under $100, but they are not in the same league as the IE8. Sorry...now way IMHO.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #1,202 of 2,011
I don't know about the IE8 since I've never heard it but the RE0 is definitely in the league of some more expensive iem's. When I bought my TF10 off another member here my first reaction was bleh..this isnt clearly better than the RE0. Their value is pretty amazing at that cost

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #1,203 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the IE8 since I've never heard it but the RE0 is definitely in the league of some more expensive iem's. When I bought my TF10 off another member here my first reaction was bleh..this isnt clearly better than the RE0. Their value is pretty amazing at that cost

I totally agree with you on this. I prefer them to my now sold UE10s and ER-4P (including with the R-S cable...so you can also add the ER-4S).

They are just not up to par with the IE8/W3/SE530

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #1,206 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kshelton, looking forward to your further impressions on the hybrids with RE0. I have a set of the eBay knock offs coming soon.

Could someone send me some links to these hybrids no idea what you are on about, I use the double flanges, are these better or the hybrids are

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #1,207 of 2,011
These are the knock offs SONY replacement earbuds tips WILL FIT MANY TYPES on eBay.ca (item 150379496971 end time 20-Feb-10 09:55:55 EST)

And these are the legit ones B25 Sony EP-EX10A Hybrid Replacement Earbuds Buds Black on eBay.ca (item 230355499389 end time 05-Mar-10 21:24:48 EST)

From what I've read, people seem to like them for the comfort factor. That's my reason for ordering, I can't get comfortable with any of the RE0 stock tips. The small black ones feel the best but I only get a seal if I shove them in pretty far. Not ideal.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #1,208 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are the knock offs SONY replacement earbuds tips WILL FIT MANY TYPES on eBay.ca (item 150379496971 end time 20-Feb-10 09:55:55 EST)

And these are the legit ones B25 Sony EP-EX10A Hybrid Replacement Earbuds Buds Black on eBay.ca (item 230355499389 end time 05-Mar-10 21:24:48 EST)

From what I've read, people seem to like them for the comfort factor. That's my reason for ordering, I can't get comfortable with any of the RE0 stock tips. The small black ones feel the best but I only get a seal if I shove them in pretty far. Not ideal.

Its only comfort, no effect on sound, is that correct.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #1,209 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no point discussing extent of difference, as without doubt its huge, D4 opens out the details from any portable source I've used, and everyone has said the RE0s need amp to perform to their very best therefore that's what is to be understood.

This sounds like a good amp, but very expensive from what I saw on their official site. Is there any place that sells them for cheaper? Couldn't find anything on google besides reviews. I'm using an E5 now but I'm not sure how satisfied I am with it. The RE0s seem to sound a lot bigger and better hooked up to my PC with the bass turned way up, compared to iPod nano & E5.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #1,210 of 2,011
Quote:

I'm not sure, I haven't tried them. Someone a few posts up said they sound "the best," not sure if that's compared to the stock tips or what.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #1,211 of 2,011
Quote:

No every time you change the tip it changes the sound a little. To my ears the biflange sound the brightest and reveal the most detail. The stock black tips have more bass but to me you loose a little detail in the highs. There was some things that I couldn't hear any more at all when switching to the black tips. So I bought the sony hybrids last night. So far they sound the best to me, a little warmer signature but the mids and highs still sound...special if that makes sense. The mids and highs are what makes the RE0 special in my opinion. Every headphone has somethings that make it stand out but also has some week points. That is why we are all searching for the perfect headphone. So with the RE0 the stock black tips ruined what made them special to me ears. I am sure to someone else's ears it could be the complete opposite.

EP-EX10A | Replacement Ear Cushions | Sony | Sony Style USA

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #1,212 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No every time you change the tip it changes the sound a little. To my ears the biflange sound the brightest and reveal the most detail. The stock black tips have more bass but to me you loose a little detail in the highs. There was some things that I couldn't hear any more at all when switching to the black tips. So I bought the sony hybrids last night. So far they sound the best to me, a little warmer signature but the mids and highs still sound...special if that makes sense. The mids and highs are what makes the RE0 special in my opinion. Every headphone has somethings that make it stand out but also has some week points. That is why we are all searching for the perfect headphone. So with the RE0 the stock black tips ruined what made them special to me ears. I am sure to someone else's ears it could be the complete opposite.

EP-EX10A | Replacement Ear Cushions | Sony | Sony Style USA

Thanks for the clear explanation
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #1,213 of 2,011
If I could make the RE0 sound like it does with the biflange tips, but with more bass. I would be done looking for new headphones. I like how joker worded it the RE0 has unrestrained highs. I LOVE the mids and highs on the RE0, maybe with an amp I can get them perfect for me. I am very glad I got the RE0 now, and I will be giddy if I can tweak them a little more. Best 65$ I have spent on audio yet.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #1,214 of 2,011
Going from a PK3 to the RE0 is different how? I was toying with the idea of upgrading to the RE0 but not sure what the difference would be.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #1,215 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could make the RE0 sound like it does with the biflange tips, but with more bass. I would be done looking for new headphones. I like how joker worded it the RE0 has unrestrained highs. I LOVE the mids and highs on the RE0, maybe with an amp I can get them perfect for me. I am very glad I got the RE0 now, and I will be giddy if I can tweak them a little more. Best 65$ I have spent on audio yet.

You could EQ them; they respond pretty well, but you still can't make bass monsters out of them.

The hybrids "add" more clarity at the expense of a little bass quantity. Definitely worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back