[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Feb 20, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #1,186 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To each his own I guess. Have you tried sony hybrids?

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the hybrids

No I might go pick some up tomorrow. Anyone tried another bi-flange tip with the RE0 yet?

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #1,189 of 2,011
kshelton;6415654 said:
That is a topic of conversation as of late, feel free to bring something else up./QUOTE]

I will lead the way, to discuss what everyone feels about the soundstage, I personally feel its really nice, infact comparable to some full sized headphones,but having read reviews from some members saying there is virtually no soundstage makes me wonder whether I understand soundstage correctly
confused_face.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #1,190 of 2,011
Yeah I don't think soundstage is to bad either. Funny story and I wanted to see if you experienced this also. I hadn't listened to my HD25 for like a week and I put them on today and for a min I thought something was wrong. Then I realized I had adjusted to the detail of the RE0. Funny how things progress, now I want a more detailed, analytical closed headphone
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #1,191 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I don't think soundstage is to bad either. Funny story and I wanted to see if you experienced this also. I hadn't listened to my HD25 for like a week and I put them on today and for a min I thought something was wrong. Then I realized I had adjusted to the detail of the RE0. Funny how things progress, now I want a more detailed, analytical closed headphone
tongue_smile.gif

I would agree with that
smily_headphones1.gif

I use my RE0's at the gym and HD 25's while commuting everyday.

I noticed that there was more detail in the RE0's which I never knew existed,it made me wonder whether HD 25's were worth keeping, was really trying hard to convince myself that headphones will always be better then IEM's
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #1,193 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will lead the way, to discuss what everyone feels about the soundstage, I personally feel its really nice, infact comparable to some full sized headphones,but having read reviews from some members saying there is virtually no soundstage makes me wonder whether I understand soundstage correctly
confused_face.gif

Other people like a more diffuse soundstage. If you listen to live tracks (like on Leftrightleftrightleft by Coldplay) it doesn't replicate the feeling of being at a concert as well as it might. On the other hand (with foam tips especially) the RE0 sounds fantastic and intimate on some recordings (Savior by Rise Against is one of the best examples that comes to mind).

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #1,195 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by delonicdevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried my friend's IE8 and i must say re0 is not very far off in terms of SQ from IE8. A real deal. IE8 is much bassier but i find it a little harsh thou.

IE8 treble quality is not as good as that of RE0. RE0 treble is smooth and very detailed at the same time, while the highs on IE8 tend to sound a bit harsh and grainy by comparison.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #1,197 of 2,011
Quote:

confused_face.gif

I wouldn't say there's "no sound-stage," but you do get a pretty compressed feeling if you're used to headphones with larger sound stages. If I were to compare this headphone's soundstage to any of my "full-sized" headphones, it'd be the Shure SRH440, which is a closed back. The sound is situated inside your head.

It's apple to oranges, but for example, after acclimating myself to the HD600's soundstage with live performances, it's hard to listen to my other headphones with the same song. I get an immediate, noticeable loss of spatial imaging and feel like the instruments have been compressed inside my head. You can experience more soundstage with the Koss KSC75 amped than the RE0s, but I mean, that's based off it's inherent design of being an ear-pad over-the-ear phone.

However, I haven't listened through better IEMs to really be able to compare IEM soundstages (it's not fair comparing it to a full-sized open-back headphone). I do plan on getting the IE8s sometime in the future, so I should be able to make more comparisons (this is the beauty of upgrading, you refine what your tastes are).

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,198 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kunalraiker how much of a difference does the D4 make with the RE0?

I'am not very sure If I did listen to RE0 without the D4,initially my wife did.

There is no point discussing extent of difference, as without doubt its huge, D4 opens out the details from any portable source I've used, and everyone has said the RE0s need amp to perform to their very best therefore that's what is to be understood.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,199 of 2,011
Quote:

I'am not very sure If I did listen to RE0 without the D4,initially my wife did.

There is no point discussing extent of difference, as without doubt its huge, D4 opens out the details from any portable source I've used, and everyone has said the RE0s need amp to perform to their very best therefore that's what is to be understood.

Thanks for the help........
wink_face.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #1,200 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing harsh or grainy about my IE8's treble. Maybe it was a bit like that on my fresh IE8 - but now, a few hundred hours later it certainly is more on the recessed/laid-back side of treble than on the forward/harsh/grainy one.

You probably just got used to it. I am using a friend's pair right now that was already burned in for many hundreds of hours and I can still detect the harshness. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but it becomes very noticeable on the subway when the mids and bass get lost in the noise and the cymbal crashes become really apparent.

EDIT: I just ran a sine tone sweep on the IE8 and can detect a peak at around 7-8 kHz. This may have to do with poor fit. The IE8s don't fit my ears well for sure, but then I find the bass overpowering if the seal becomes tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back