REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Jan 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #781 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufotofu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm showing ADH2000 @ $349. Amazon has a deal on ADH5000s for 425 USD right now. Are the 5s worth an extra 75 USD?

Thanks for the tip on the uDAC. Sounds like my next purchase.

I'm sure you can do better than that for D2000, as I have seen refurbished as low as $260 - $290 new in the past, from places like buy.com and mwave.com etc. You should search longer and harder, and include looking at eBay. You also don't need to buy them new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ufotofu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, any recommendations on a bang-for-your-buck interconnect to mate the uDAC to the EF2?

YACCo. Whirly Wisp Interconnects and look for the Whirly Wisp cable (needs 100 hours burn-in).

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #783 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it's hard to wade through alot of pages of posts but Headphone Addict has done a quite comprehensive review with several DACs used as external DACs to the EF2's anlog inputs vs the onboard DAC in both USB and Optical when availlable. Look back around ten pages or so for the link the Larry's review.

I'm having trouble finding the post. Do you think you can post a link?

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #784 of 1,326
Jan 19, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #785 of 1,326
Hi all, long time lurker, and first post. I just got my EF2 and waiting for some NOS tubes, my question is: do I have to take off the acrylic plate to swap them? does it need to be wiggled a bit? Forgive my paranoia, I just don't wanna mess things up.

Secondly, I'm a basshead.. I'm used to bumped bass in EQ (eeepc - PX100). Now, I got a D2000 with the EF2 but I found the DAC input is lacking bass, is there a way to remedy this? ATM I'm resorting to using the CD input, but I really wanna use USB.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #786 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by fidele-caput /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, long time lurker, and first post. I just got my EF2 and waiting for some NOS tubes, my question is: do I have to take off the acrylic plate to swap them? does it need to be wiggled a bit? Forgive my paranoia, I just don't wanna mess things up.

Secondly, I'm a basshead.. I'm used to bumped bass in EQ (eeepc - PX100). Now, I got a D2000 with the EF2 but I found the DAC input is lacking bass, is there a way to remedy this? ATM I'm resorting to using the CD input, but I really wanna use USB.

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

I used a rubber band wrapped around the top of each tube and wiggled them loose. My USB input is not bass-lite, but you could use EQ or add an external USB DAC like the $99 Nuforce uDAC which has good bass. I have used it with the EF2 and liked it, with good warm detailed and spacious sound.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #787 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif
USB DAC like the $99 Nuforce uDAC which has good bass.

Thanks, and now there's a huge void in my wallet, but there wasn't much to begin with
redface.gif
... I'll check out uDAC, but I'll try the Western electric and Raytheons first. I should've asked questions before hitting ebay. *sigh*

HeadphoneAddict you da man
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #789 of 1,326
After tons of research and debating on what to get as my first entry-level amp, this was a no brainer after reading all the posts lol (just finished right now). Ordered it this morning and can't wait until it arrives!

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #790 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome Fidele (uxor approbas spero :wink: Just an attempt at Latin between friends. Good to see you here!!!

LOL, hey Duckman... btw the first batch of tubes are installed.. and I'm still amazed by the difference they can make. Now the brightness gone, the bass can be cranked to the level I want without offensive highs ... I was seriously skeptical before, now it's just SEX.. lol, speaking of which: tantum mea uxor approbat, nisi patiatur iram meam.
ph34r.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #791 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by fidele-caput /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, hey Duckman... btw the first batch of tubes are installed.. and I'm still amazed by the difference they can make. Now the brightness gone, the bass can be cranked to the level I want without offensive highs ... I was seriously skeptical before, now it's just SEX...

Which tubes worked out better for you so far? Westerns or Raytheons? 403Bs or 6ak5s? I'm looking at a few sets of tubes right now on eBay. Just wondering where to spend my money..and what a reasonable price might be for tubes.

On a side note, I A-B'ed my Grados and my Sony earphones on the EF2 last night. Good grief, what a difference! My Grados are have pretty nice definition across the board, not a super-wide soundstage (but you can definitely tell there's space between the musicians) and nice, tight bottom end. The Sonys sound like I've got cotton in my ears and the bass is muddy while the top is very brittle. Midrange is a mess, too. I usually only listen to the Sonys (MDR-EX71) on iPod (Nano, 3G) whilst roadbiking (128-192kbps MP3 and AACs) so I'm not looking for audiophile quality. They sound sad on the EF2 with FLACs...interesting how the better source makes the inferior cans unlistenable while the inferior cans make the inferior source pleasantly acceptable. Good case for matching components in terms of quality? I am continually blown away by the EF2 paired with the SR80s. All of my music is new again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back