REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Jan 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #766 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's impossible to say - because there is no information about WHAT 6AK5 variety you'd be getting: "Assorted brands in stock" says very little.

These would be a better choice:

SLEEVE OF FIVE 5654 / 6AK5W / 6096/ CV4010 TUBES - eBay (item 150258060327 end time Feb-01-10 15:07:10 PST)

I can vouch for that seller - I have bought a fair number of tubes from him, and all were excellent. Those are the British Military CV4010 tubes, and I use them in my EF2 - they sound great.

Hmm..I'm just trying to find something from an online store rather than ebay, because I don't have paypal right now. It says they are NOS 6AK5 on a different page

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #767 of 1,326
My point was that "NOS 6AK5" doesn't tell you everything. Knowing the brand name and the era of manufacturer is important both in knowing how they might sound, and what the value is.

Now granted, for $5, it's not that critical
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #768 of 1,326
Got a few questions:

1) Will this work for both Windows 7 and Mac?
2) Will this benefit my SRH840 and/or HD555? By how much?

dL

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #769 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by dL. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a few questions:

1) Will this work for both Windows 7 and Mac?
2) Will this benefit my SRH840 and/or HD555? By how much?

dL

1. yes, but I know of one reported case with a linux user who could not get it to make sound.

2. Someone else will have to comment as I don't have either of those headphones. I did like the SRH840 at CanJam and thought they responded well to an amp (TTVJ portable, and TTVJ FET-A was even better), but I neglected to try them with an iPod headphone out. I hate the HD555, haven't tried them again in 2 years.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #771 of 1,326
I know it's hard to wade through alot of pages of posts but Headphone Addict has done a quite comprehensive review with several DACs used as external DACs to the EF2's anlog inputs vs the onboard DAC in both USB and Optical when availlable. Look back around ten pages or so for the link the Larry's review.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #772 of 1,326
Just wanted to say thanks to HeadphoneAddict.

I really love my hifiman ef2! Been using it on my Denon D7000 and I think it's finally burned in after 3 months.

In total I paid about 756$ for both as my starter set.
biggrin.gif

Also you think they would give you a huge discount on their products for all your work here? I mean c'mon you yourself might be responsible for selling over hundreds of EF2's. Not to mention your almost doing things like customer support for them.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #773 of 1,326
I can say for fact that listening to Larry's EF2 at a meet in Denver convinced me to get one as soon as I got home and so far, It's the only desktop that I have kept. Considering my life threatening ( OK Wife Threatening) upgraditis, that's saying alot for the EF2

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #774 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say for fact that listening to Larry's EF2 at a meet in Denver convinced me to get one as soon as I got home and so far, It's the only desktop that I have kept. Considering my life threatening ( OK Wife Threatening) upgraditis, that saying alot for the EF2

And, at the Denver meet it was connected to the Apogee mini-DAC as source, instead of using the built-in DAC. It does scale up nicely with a better source.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #775 of 1,326
Thanks HeadphoneAddict for your great review (and product support). You really should be getting a piece of the Hifiman action for all your hard work.

What's the weak point in my system...err, next area to improve (other than my ears and music collection)? Phones? DAC? Tubes? Cryo cables?

What my ears tell me I'm lacking is imaging and spaciousness. My only experience so far is with Grado SR80s (and borrowed SR60s prior). I'd like to get some attenuation of ambient noise. What a natural progression from where I'm at now?

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #777 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufotofu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks HeadphoneAddict for your great review (and product support). You really should be getting a piece of the Hifiman action for all your hard work.

What's the weak point in my system...err, next area to improve (other than my ears and music collection)? Phones? DAC? Tubes? Cryo cables?

What my ears tell me I'm lacking is imaging and spaciousness. My only experience so far is with Grado SR80s (and borrowed SR60s prior). I'd like to get some attenuation of ambient noise. What a natural progression from where I'm at now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really an upgrade (although the AH D2000's are around 200.00 USD) but in another "Flavor" direction would be the Denons. They have an incredible relationship with the EF2. More so tube hybrids in general.

Ditto - add some Denon headphones and a source upgrade like a nicer DAC (Nuforce uDAC), and sit back and enjoy. You'll get better imaging than the SR-80, and some attenuation of ambient noise, and they are fairly spacious for a closed can. I keep meaning to try a Proline 750 one of these days, to see if those would qualify.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #778 of 1,326
I've been thinking of a headphone move lately, but I can't find anyone around town that sells higher end phones. I love my Grados, but I'd like to get some ambient noise reduction and A LOT more comfort for longer listening sessions. Denon and Sennheiser are the most enticing brands right now.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #779 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto - add some Denon headphones and a source upgrade like a nicer DAC (Nuforce uDAC), and sit back and enjoy. You'll get better imaging than the SR-80, and some attenuation of ambient noise, and they are fairly spacious for a closed can. I keep meaning to try a Proline 750 one of these days, to see if those would qualify.

I'm showing ADH2000 @ $349. Amazon has a deal on ADH5000s for 425 USD right now. Are the 5s worth an extra 75 USD?

Thanks for the tip on the uDAC. Sounds like my next purchase.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #780 of 1,326
Also, any recommendations on a bang-for-your-buck interconnect to mate the uDAC to the EF2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back