REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Dec 13, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #661 of 1,326
Looks like it was a problem with the usb cable. Switched it and no more noise. But I paid it with a small scratch on my new phones. T_T

This thing should have came with a scratch remover.

Thanks for the tip.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #663 of 1,326
Is anyone else listening to the EF2 with HD580/600/650? I have to say after transitioning from a HD485 with a SB audigy, to Sennheiser HD580/EF2 I could never go back.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #664 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone else listening to the EF2 with HD580/600/650? I have to say after transitioning from a HD485 with a SB audigy, to Sennheiser HD580/EF2 I could never go back.

I also like the HD600 with EF2, but I haven't tried the HD600 with the stock cable in almost 2 years. I found the stock cable to sound less detailed and more rolled off, but the stock EF2 tubes should help even out the treble with the stock cable. With the upgraded cable the Raytheon 6AK5 tubes have been a good match.

The EF2 scales up with a better tubes, DAC and headphones as well, and I can appreciate the HE-5 or HD800 as an upgrade over the HD600 when using the uDAC or Pico DAC instead of the built-in DAC.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #665 of 1,326
I have RCA NOS 6AK5 tubes in my EF2 and the main thing I notice is an improvement to the bass and mid bass. Much punchier bass and helps bring the mids up to a more enjoyable level. The RCA tubes have been so good that I haven't bothered trying the pair of Sylvania gold pin 6AK5's or the pairs of GE 6AK5's that I also have.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #666 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used the EF2 with the HD 595. Just bought the HD 650. I was afraid they would sound a bit too dark and that the EF2 might not drive them to a decent volume. Somehow I just had to find out. Boy was I wrong! I really like the laidback yet detailed sound and the volumeknob hardly goes over the 12 hours piont.

Seems like I don't need to upgrade for a while, maybe a better DAC in the future. Really nice combo for the money IMO.
normal_smile .gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #667 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like the HD600 with EF2, but I haven't tried the HD600 with the stock cable in almost 2 years. I found the stock cable to sound less detailed and more rolled off, but the stock EF2 tubes should help even out the treble with the stock cable. With the upgraded cable the Raytheon 6AK5 tubes have been a good match.

I have the HD650 cable, though I really doubt I would notice the difference between this and the regular HD580/600 cable. It just came with the headphones (along with the HD600 grills) when I got them.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #668 of 1,326
Dec 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #669 of 1,326
I just pulled the trigger on this amp! I'm excited, this is my first foray into tubes/hybrids.

I've been looking at amps and headphones for more than a year now trying not to give into to upgraditus, but I've finally given in. Oh well, I had a good run.

So I still have the question I posted earlier. This amp has a socketed op-amp if I heard correctly. Is this op-amp one worth changing? Could I put an HDAM in it? Would I want to?

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #671 of 1,326
your OPamp swapping question was answered way back in the thread. (pages 6-12 Approx.) Just guessing though. An interesting question about the HDAM. IIRC, the HDAM has the same socket as regular OPamp but takes up much more space and may have different voltage spec. I'd E-Mail Fang and ask him. I know that amps like the Zero, Maverick, and Compass can use HDAM's but ?????? The EF's

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #672 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never answered because I just don't know.

I didn't mean to nag, but I know often times questions get left unanswered if they get bumped off the current page. Your input has been invaluable. Many thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your OPamp swapping question was answered way back in the thread. (pages 6-12 Approx.) Just guessing though. An interesting question about the HDAM. IIRC, the HDAM has the same socket as regular OPamp but takes up much more space and may have different voltage spec. I'd E-Mail Fang and ask him. I know that amps like the Zero, Maverick, and Compass can use HDAM's but ?????? The EF's

I have read the thread all the way through and I do not recall any extended discussion of the topic. I will certainly go back and take a look though. I will send Fang an email and post his reply as soon as I get it.

Got a quick answer!
"EF2 is discrete component design. There is only one op-amp on the board which is not important to sound quality."

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #674 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.har1bo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the EF2 be sufficient to drive the AKG k500/501?

I think the EF2 has plenty of power to drive most headphones properly.

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #675 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.har1bo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the EF2 be sufficient to drive the AKG k500/501?

It drives my K400's very well I think, the have the same specs. 2 o'clock is the highest I reach with the volume knob, and normally it sits around 12, and that's with the build in DAC which is suposed to have a somewhat weak output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back